UPSB v4

Off-topic / Piano

1. boshi
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 04:18:31

After watching dream high, i heelllaa want to learn how to play piano. I spend like 5 seconds in between getting down each chord and i play super slow. Any advice, tips, recommended exercises?

2. hoiboy
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 04:25:11

Always warm up. Grab a book of scales and chords and teach yourself. Getting a piano teacher is nice, but over here, crap ones cost something like 50 bucks an hour while the best are upwards of 100 bucks an hour. Be prepared to practice hella. 45 minutes a day is rec'ed. It won't be an overnight thing. A lot of getting good at piano is just taking the time to sit there and play the same thing over and over again until you get it down, unless you're pro at sight-reading (like @blahblahting).

3. blahblahting
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 05:55:33

=________=

4. RicLu98
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 06:31:11

try to get a teacher. yeah i agree play scales, etudes, exercises, chords. Practice alot. I've been playing piano for 8 years now and i actually strongly recomend getting a teacher it's faster and easier that way.

5. sangara
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 07:11:37

Or you could not listen to all the Asians and just play for fun, it's what I do.

6. boshi
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 07:12:57

besides scales, any other recommended exercises?

7. sangara
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 07:16:41

Learn songs, as long as you can read music you should be fine. The songs you want to play can be the best exercises.

8. Jazz
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 11:05:12

i thought i posted a topic bout this already.___.

9. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 15:57:15

sangara wrote: Or you could not listen to all the Asians and just play for fun, it's what I do.
    its not fun when you can't read the sheets properly... and that takes practice the best part about playing piano for fun is either 1) improvise freely or based on any song (HARD to do unless you practice) 2) print up any song you like and sight reading it (HARD to do if you can't read) in either case you need to learn something by practicing.

10. neXus
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 18:02:00

Go to youtube. Type in "song name piano tutorial" and press whatever the dude is playing. It is how I am doing it and I consider myself to be one of the elite piano players in a 1 mile radius around my 37 keys keyboard.

11. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 18:18:11

I find the best way to learn music is to get a friend to show your stuff, that way you get instruction so you get benefits of a teacher, but its still going to be chill and informal so its still going to be fun, and a friend can put it in easy to understand terms for you, usuallly

12. sangara
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 20:16:05

Zombo wrote: its not fun when you can't read the sheets properly... and that takes practice the best part about playing piano for fun is either 1) improvise freely or based on any song (HARD to do unless you practice) 2) print up any song you like and sight reading it (HARD to do if you can't read) in either case you need to learn something by practicing.
    Right but just use a song that you want to learn as practice, I've done it for multiple instruments including piano and it's worked out fine. Yes I encourage learning scales and maybe a few exercises just to get your fingers going, but if you want to play something, just play it. Playing for fun is just that, you're just enjoying playing the instrument. You're not trying to impress anyone, you're not doing it because someone said you need to do this. It's just you and the instrument, nothing else matters. The best part about playing for fun is the fact that if you do want to get better then you can, there's nothing holding you back from that. It's okay to not take something completely serious. Penspinning is a great example of that.

13. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 21:19:39

he doesnt know how to read notation yet he'll have to practice reading notation first

14. Awesome
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 21:28:15

you don't need notation to play you can play by ear, by tutorial, from a friend,play chord stuff or you can just jam around to get your fingers used to it, nothing in music restricts you to only play what is written down in musical notation

15. hoiboy
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 21:49:51

Zombo wrote: he doesnt know how to read notation yet he'll have to practice reading notation first
    I think he does. He plays trumpet.

16. boshi
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 21:52:44

iv played sax for about 6 years, so ya i can read music, terble cleff anyways. still gotta learn bass.

17. SJ
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 22:20:38

get this guy as your teacher [video=youtube;QPzjHgMENrc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPzjHgMENrc[/video]

18. sangara
    Date: Mon, Feb 28 2011 02:22:29

You don't have to know how to read to play any instrument.