UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / My Signo Grip Removal Method

1. Sam
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 06:19:56

Here's a quick and easy method to remove signo broad/dx/regular grips. Yup. Its quick and easy. Just wanted to share my method to UPSB b/c might prove helpful. No more smashing barrels with hammers! [video=youtube;iO36C2-Eo8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO36C2-Eo8k[/video]

2. Riley
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 06:32:03

Thanks, usually I gotta use a hammer and break the barrel. This is much better. :D

3. bonkey12
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 12:40:34

nice tutorial but.. only problem is that because your using a flat head screw driver is ruins the grip.. it makes it fatter.. i would recommend using a paper clip instead

4. tacohead12
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 15:52:44

That's actually kinda good that it gets fatter i think o-o Cuz then you can stratch it more easily over stuff, I usually need to stretch it out anyway so I can do a grip cut.

5. Colin
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 21:34:40

Using screwdrivers to remove grips is ALWAYS bad. It damages the insides, which will ultimately lead to a weaker portion of the grip. What I do, however, is I use an Xacto blade. Whoa whoa whoa..hold up. didnt you just say a fucking SCREWDRIVER fucks up the inside? Doesnt the Xacto blade make it like 20x worse? Naw foo. Not if you know how to do it right. I like using dull blades, and screw it onto my handle (lol). I turn it around, so that the BACK part is facing the inside of the grip. Slide it in WHILE turning the grip, so that youre not penetrating the grip itself, but the area between the barrel and the grip. Keep turning the barrel, and keep the blade stationary. You can do the same for the other side. This is what I do. Im not responsible if you fuck up your grips :dunno:

6. sangara
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 22:02:29

Just smash the barrel, takes like 2 seconds. But I have used this method on HGG's for as long as I've been making MXes. Minus the screwdriver, plus a tea kettle.

7. whizz
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 22:13:30

I'm sorry to say that, but this method is neither 'quick' nor 'easy', and it's definitely not new, though you didn't say it was. You damaged the inner surface of the grip and you stretched it so much that you can't use it, for example, in a G3 mod or whatever anymore. Even unstretched grip has a little gap between grip and G3 gripzone. Please use the UPSB Wiki next time: CLICK When I remove Signo Broad or Signo DX grip, then I just cut the plastic right beneath the grip and shave the cut down until the plastic is so thin that it can bend under pressure of a grip being took off. When I don't want to waste my time, I break that plastic thing with pliers and take off a grip a little bit harder. And, for you to know, there's no glue between Signo grip and Signo gripzone.

8. Holypie
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 22:36:23

What I do is I take a pair of tweezers, stick it in one end and go around the grip, then use it as sort of a ramp for the grip to get over the larger part between the grip and the tip, then I just slide it off.

9. AWtii69
    Date: Sun, Mar 6 2011 21:08:57

@whizz signo broads are easy to get off, ive never actually had a DX but im sure a paper clip would work fine

10. sangara
    Date: Sun, Mar 6 2011 21:17:35

AWtii69 wrote: @sangara use teeth for hgg's... lol works like a charm
    I'll stick to my method...

11. Froggy
    Date: Mon, Mar 7 2011 07:41:38

The classic method: Throw the pen (without the ink) into hot boiled water Wait for 15-30sec Pull it back out and pull grip with t-shirt Dry the inside of the grip and let it stand for 1min PrinceXD

12. RicLu98
    Date: Thu, Mar 31 2011 05:05:10

i just tried this method but with a uniball impact (capped version). i used a paperclip instead and it doesnt stretch out the grip much

13. ChainBreak
    Date: Thu, Apr 7 2011 18:33:45

maybe a bit OT but are you korean? There's a 김 package lying next to your microwave xD k back to topic: I use a knife with a flat blade and it works pretty well for me.When i used a screwdriver it wouldn't fit inside the caps I was using.

14. the noodler
    Date: Thu, Apr 7 2011 19:42:44

no hes not korean. and if you use a knife, don't you risk cutting the grip?

15. ChainBreak
    Date: Fri, Apr 8 2011 10:47:04

I never cut a grip using this method. But it also depens on the blade I think. I first loosen the grip a bit on the ends with my nails and push the blde under the grip and then do it like colin with his Xacto. I always do it slowly so the grip wont be cut.

16. Sam
    Date: Sat, Apr 9 2011 22:17:38

@ChainBreak im not korean. that was the bag of seaweed i was eating. that stuff is delicious. and I think the screwdriver does mess with the grip a little. but not too much. So i think that using your shirt would be pretty efficient

17. Fx
    Date: Sun, Apr 17 2011 12:35:25

lol...i just pull it off

18. peninja
    Date: Thu, May 26 2011 05:51:35

hammers ftw

19. the noodler
    Date: Fri, May 27 2011 03:39:24

please don't unnecessarily revive old threads.