UPSB v4

Pen Spinning Relations / Pen Spinning association

1. 13371337
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 02:42:16

This thread is for discussion of a Pen Spinning Association. So far, the idea of the PSA is as follows: Members pay a set fee each years (for example, 20 dollars) In return they get: Free entry to prize tournaments held by PSA (cash and/or pen prizes). Others will have to pay a fee to enter these tournaments? Access to PSA forums? Access to tutorials from high level PSA members (giving some high level pen spinners free PSA membership in return for posting tutorials)? This also may give pen spinners some source of income. Free entry for PSA assessments (pen spinning levels)? Other benefits? Good pen spinners can gain free entry to PSA if they are selected to give tutorials. Also, some PSA may have the possibility to be PAID to assess assessments of pen spinners for certain levels, providing membership is high enough. This gives pen spinners a potential source of some income. PSA would be not for profit, although, it would probably have to always hold some positive funds in its bank account, just in case some kind of unexpected bill arrived, purely for company (and association) security. Discuss.

2. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 02:56:01

Honestly, I think tutorials aren't such a good idea. I don't think that the entire community of PSers should be deprived of good tutorials that PSA members get plus if it's high level tutorials, it might not be very effective 'cause based on my experience and asking around a bit, most spinners will grow to a level of independence after growing to a certain level of pen spinning so they'll be able learn it themselves and to newer or lower skilled spinners, these tutorials would be redundant 'cause they should be learning the basic. I do like the idea of pen spinning being funded by spinners but perhaps if there were more items in the PSA forums, it would be better, perhaps "hired" modders and editors for members to ask them to help edit and mod stuff.

3. 13371337
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 02:56:59

What do you mean by editors who help edit?

4. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 02:59:34

for example members who pay to enter, can get editors there to edit videos for them like solo vids, collabs, promos, etc and the editors get paid for doing it. Same for modders.

5. 13371337
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 03:04:22

Hippo2626 wrote: for example members who pay to enter, can get editors there to edit videos for them like solo vids, collabs, promos, etc and the editors get paid for doing it. Same for modders.
    :hmm: Surely a paid video editor could do this? I just think, personally, that a video editor. Well that's not a very pen spinning thing... Of course, it's not entirely down to what I think. Let's see what everyone thinks. ;)

6. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 03:10:34

Same. I dont like the idea of witholding information from the general public. Community progress in pen spinning requires collaboration and sharing of ideas. I also don't know if I like the idea of a pay to use format... members can freely hire someone to help them if they wanted to. I've helped out some spinners who have decided to pay me. Also, I don't think there is enough of a userbase to sustain something like this. People like their content free, and most of the people in the pen spinning community probably wouldn't go for it. If we got rid of the notion about paid subscription, and just created a structured enviroment, outside or adjacent to UPSB, that was open to viewing, but maybe exclusive discussion for select people (other people could still read what they had to say about spinning though), I think that model would work better. But then again, we already have groups and a lot of discussion in groups is collaboration with people of a similar skill set / skill sharing in a friendly environment. Just my opinion.

7. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 03:25:31

This idea would work really well in a few years time when/if PSing gets to a couple 100000 active members

8. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 03:31:43

Seeing as how the average spinner can't even turn a video in on time for a collaboration, I honestly doubt anything similar to this scale could ever be accomplished.

9. 13371337
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 05:22:45

Agreed. But it's very hard to impliment then I think. Better to impliment now while it's easy.

10. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 15:03:34

there are local associations; for example France and Japan has one. i dont know how you can legally register an association on a global scale though.

11. Eso
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 05:53:43

The whole notion about withholding information is already done in the Vault. And that isn't used ever. I think the PSA would be great for organizing real life events. I remember JPSA held seminars where they teach passer-bys simple tricks and giving away (I think?) simple mods like Russhon mod. Of course, this PSA would have to be centralized in a single country for it to be effective. If you make this PSA North American, then you still have the problem of distance. Anyways, most tutorials are already online and there isn't much else to teach exclusively. If you wanna make it a paid subscription service, use that money to buy exclusive RSVPs or other pens marked with the logo. Another idea is to have help videos based on what people ask within the PSA or have style tutorials. You don't really see those around. The subscription could be used to pay these people who take the time to make these personalized videos. Just my 2 cents.

12. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 12:51:58

I think it shouldn't be tutorials but invited members can be teachers and they will teach paid member and cater to the needs of those members