UPSB v4

Pen Spinning Relations / PSA: Pen spinning levels.

1. 13371337
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 02:37:02

The discussion of pen spinning levels being added to the PSA. So the level would be approx. 10. Level one would have a few beginner tricks. Level 10, the top level for now, would have many advanced combos and a knowledge of hundreds of tricks to pass. With the other levels in between. Kam suggests that the beginner levels are rather easy to get, citing 2/8 fundamentals/reverses being acceptable for a level one pass. I have been working on a spreadsheet of example levels for the first 5, which will be posted here when complete. In this thread discuss: How many levels Tricks for each level Hybrids for each level Combos for each level Possible benefits for high level members Judging Video or live assessment of levels. If you have no idea at all about this idea, wait for the post in a few days with the examples. ;)

2. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 03:22:13

I think it might be very difficult and inaccurate to classify the entire PSing community into 1 scale. Perhaps do something like the yoyoing level (or whatever it is called not really sure what it is). the beginners (1-3) would be easy to identify but once they reach a certain level (eg levle 5) the scale braches out into say 5A, 5B, 5C and so on. each letter being different areas a spinner would branch into like creativity eg Freeman, linkages eg S777, Powertricking eg Peem. But to fully grasp the entire level of a spinner, one would have to consider all the different branches. Taking a as creativity, b as linkages and c as power tricking and using S777 as an example with an estimate level, he would be 6.5A/9B/7C

3. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 03:27:40

I think there are some dangers in ranking people be "levels", this might be alright for an exclusive community like PSA, but for anything else I don't think it would work very well. The UPSB ladder gives a general idea of spinning ability, and ammount of time spinning does as well. (not many people use the ladder mind you) But otherwise it's simply observing someones spinning and judging for yourself.

4. 13371337
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 05:24:06

shoeman6 wrote: The UPSB ladder gives a general idea of spinning ability.
    Does it?

5. Awesome
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 05:30:47

I think putting it into levels is too stuffy and formal for any art, including music

6. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 05:36:42

It only helps at the most basic levels, and I think there are plenty of systems around that teach those to spinners... There could be a guild of some sort for spinners, but we already have groups integrated into the UPSB board.

7. 13371337
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 05:47:31

I think putting it into levels is too stuffy and formal for any art, including music
    I can't think of a common instrument that doesn't have exams. Every single person I know, without exception, that plays an instrument, has taken formal exams.
    It only helps at the most basic levels, and I think there are plenty of systems around that teach those to spinners... There could be a guild of some sort for spinners, but we already have groups integrated into the UPSB board.
    One major aspect of these exams would be benefits to those who have passed higher ones and the higher ones would be really hard.

8. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 05:56:56

I've never had exams for violin or piano 0 _ o... Just saying. Who would decide these exams, and levels? I know in a group setting sometimes we set goals and practice similair things together, and not everyone does the same things in the same order, because once you have the fundamentals, there are hundreds of things you could work on.