UPSB v4

Off-topic / Magic the Gathering

1. sangara
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:07:36

This is going to be UPSB's general thread for the greatest TGC in the world. I think if we have enough people we could do awesome things like tournaments and such that we played over Skype or something. I have ideas. Anyway about me and Magic, favorite color to play is green, I usually try to play all colors but black seems to never hold my attention. The last set I played seriously was Zendikar but I do have some starterdecks from M11 that my brother and I played with over Christmas. I currently have one constructed deck, it's R/G Allies from Zendikar. I like Magic. :D Deck List:

Spoiler Creatures [Green]: Oran-Reif Survivalist x4 Greenweaver Druid x2 Turntimber Ranger x4 Joraga Bard x3 Creatures [Red]: Highland Berserker x3 Murasa Pyromancer x2 Kazuul Warlord x2 Tuktuk Grunts x4 Spells [Green]: Giant Growth x4 Naturalize x2 Tanglesap x2 Spells [Red]: Lightning Bolt x4 Goblin War Paint x2 Burst Lightning x2 Lands: Forest x9 Mountain x11 I know I run a lot of land, but I'm lazy and it seems to work.

2. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:11:30

I started playing last year with a Zendikar starterdeck, that Kor Equipment thing. It's still my favourite deck, monowhite, but it's not... really... Standard legal anymore. In any way or form. I'll post a decklist later. ;) My favourite colour is white, my least favourite probably red or green. [I'm the opposite of sangara, uhoh]. My other favourite deck is Esper Control, of which I have two variations. One artifact based [Master Transmuter is sexy] and one just control. :) I also like to try and make awkward cards work. Like... Who plays Protean Hydra? I do, haha. So, I'm always up for a game I guess, Skype seems like a good idea to make it work! I also have some Standard and Extended decks, or am planning to make them. :)

3. VendettaBF
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:19:18

used to play in 6th grade. wish i can play but i do not have my decks anymore =(

4. RH
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:31:44

played since 2nd grade I'm a casual player. My first deck was a W/G token deck. I'm Azorius colors(White, blue). I have way too many decks W/G exalted slivers(don't play it anymore) U/B Mill mono-blue counter Jund(it was a birthday present)[yes the jund aggro that EVERYONE played back in Alara] Mono-black vampires(my only standard deck) mono-white angels tribal and U/W Control( my best and most prized deck) My favoite card is admonition angel. i also play EDH(now known as commander). i have a darigaaz edh X3

5. RH
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 22:32:51

played since 2nd grade I'm a casual player. My first deck was a W/G token deck. I'm Azorius colors(White, blue). I have way too many decks W/G exalted slivers(don't play it anymore) U/B Mill mono-blue counter Jund(it was a birthday present)[yes the jund aggro that EVERYONE played back in Alara] Mono-black vampires(my only standard deck) mono-white angels tribal and U/W Control( my best and most prized deck) My favoite card is admonition angel. i also play EDH(now known as commander). i have a darigaaz edh X3

6. sangara
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 23:55:20

What is EDH?

7. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 23:58:55

Elder Dragon Highlander. http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

8. Im-still-here
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 01:19:01

You played over Skype? That's pretty cool I would of never though of using that method..

9. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 01:34:51

Im-still-here wrote: You played over Skype? That's pretty cool I would of never though of using that method..
    I know that over in the Yu-Gi-Oh community they do it. I dunno it sounds fun.

10. RH
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 01:54:34

i'd play someone.. but maybe tomorrow or soemthing... i'm sick.... very

11. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:02:07

sangara, your Allies deck only has 52 cards?

12. Advecticity
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:03:54

People, there exists a free software called Magic Workstation that allows you to play as much magic as you want online. Anyway, I've played MTG for about 5 years, stopped recently (won 1st at Scars of Mirrodin prerelease and stopped) since I moved and it was mainly for me something to do with my friends. It's about the time I started PSing too. Still have all my cards though, including some legacy-competitive decks.

13. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:06:04

If I wanted to play online with something like MWS I'd rather just play on MODO. Also, gimme yo Tarmogoyfs then. ;D

14. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:06:07

EDIT: I totally found them.

15. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:11:21

You totally want Harabaz Druid instead of Greenweaver Druid, btw. :P

16. Advecticity
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:11:44

Haha my room is such a mess right now I wouldn't even be able to find my tarmos :P Never tried MODO/MTGO, but sounds good for drafts. For casual go MWS :D

17. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:13:20

Erirornal Kraione wrote: You totally want Harabaz Druid instead of Greenweaver Druid, btw. :P
    That was after I stopped D:, also red spells are up

18. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:18:40

Mono-White Kor Equipment: 17 x Plains 2x Emeria, the Sky Ruin 4x Kor Duelist 4x Armament Master 3x Stoneforge Mystic 3x Kor Skyfisher 3x Kor Aeronaut 2x Kor Sanctifiers 2x Archon of Redemption 2x Sun Titan 1x Stonehewer Giant 1x Aether Vial 1x Land Tax 1x Door of Destinies 1x Sol Ring 2x Conquerer's Pledge 2x Journey to Nowhere 1x Skullclamp 1x Sword of Light and Shadow 1x Sword of Fire and Ice 1x Sword of Body and Mind 1x Sword of Vengeance 1x Quietus Spike 1x Loxodon Warhammer 1x Deathrender [to become Sword of Feast and Famine] 1x Whispersilk Cloak [to become Sword of pro-red and pro-white from the last set of Mirrodin Besieged] Yes, nobody wants to play against this deck. >.>

19. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:20:12

If we were still in standard you should swap out those jouney to nowhere with Path to Exile. That's a sexy card. But I want to play that deck, just because I want to play magic.

20. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:22:15

I actually have some sexy Swords to Plowshares that I have instead of the Journey to Nowhere [which are still Standard legal, Path to Exile isn't. =(], but I'm too lazy to find them and sleeve them up.

21. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:24:42

Wait your Kor cards are still standard?

22. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:26:18

Hahaha, hell no. It isn't even Legacy. :P Skullclamp and Land Tax are banned like fuc, I think. And Sol Ring as well.

23. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:28:37

So you're going for vintage I see. Wait WTF? http://magiccards.info/query?q=Kor+Duelist&v=card&s=cname

24. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:31:45

I know. B) Some of my equipments have awesome effects when I do damage to a player twice. [lol mill 20]

25. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:33:17

Actually I was pointing out how it's saying that Kor Duelist is still legal. :/

26. Advecticity
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:33:40

When you can, try to find an Umezawa's Jitte, that thing is just brutal.

27. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 02:35:52

Totally forgot about Jitte, gonna try and get that one too, ya.

28. RH
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 05:12:36

just an FYI... you all have WAY too much moneh... all my decks are on a 30$ budget x[

29. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 05:38:58

RH wrote: just an FYI... you all have WAY too much moneh... all my decks are on a 30$ budget x[
    My deck was pretty cheap... I think I paid about $25 in all.

30. RH
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 05:43:36

i was talking about EK... i mean really? sword of FI,LS, AND BM

31. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 05:44:33

You said "you all" D:

32. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 05:53:16

on/off with MTG for about 10 yrs, but im done for good now. dont know the new cards, takes too long to catch up, don't want to go through the hassle of buying cards too. I will say the EDH format looks interesting tho.

33. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 06:13:12

What I really want to play is the Cube draft, but you have to actually be there in order to play :/

34. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 11:52:58

RH wrote: i was talking about EK... i mean really? sword of FI,LS, AND BM
    I ripped Light and Shadow from a booster, Fire and Ice I got for winning a tournament and Body and Mind was in the From the Vault: Relics set. :P But yeah, I pretty much spent too much money on this by now. XD

35. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 15:14:21

Esper Control [BUW] Lands: 4x Arcane Sanctum 4x Creeping Tar Pit 3x Glacial Fortress 2x Drowned Catacomb 2x Seachrome Coast 2x Celestial Colonnade 1x Fetid Heath 3x Island 3x Plains 1x Swamp Utility Creatures: 3x Wall of Denial 2x Wall of Omens 2x Sea Gate Oracle Bash in face creatures: 3x Baneslayer Angel 2x Sphinx of Jwar Isle [we always call him Sphinx of Jabba Jabba] 1x Sun Titan 1x Consecrated Sphinx Removal: 3x Day of Judgment 2x Go for the Throat 1x Oblivion Ring [lost the other one >_>] Utility: 3x Esper Charm 2x Mind Spring 2x Mimic Vat 1x Contagion Engine Planeswalkers: 2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor 2x Elspeth, Knight-Errant 1x Sorin Markov 1x Venser, the Sojourner 1x Gideon Jura =D

36. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 15:16:11

uh i just found a demonic tutor and a sol ring revised edition, anybody want these?

37. Advecticity
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 15:17:17

Yeah, MTG can cost a lot if you really get into it. Just consider that if you follow price trends, invest your money carefully (aka : not on random boosters), and do some trading, it's possible not to loose any money (cards are collectibles, and collectibles can be resold).

38. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 15:20:21

We buy boosterboxes as a group once in a while, we get some profit out of those, so it's not too bad. Ripping open boosters is an awesome feeling though. And Zombo, those cards are definitely awesome. =P If nobody else wants them, I would.

39. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 18:53:25

You really do have a lot of money... Mind explaining the 3 Baneslayers? D:

40. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 18:57:36

Traded 2 Baneslayers for a foil one I opened at the prerelease of M11, and bought one for 12 euros.

41. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 19:12:27

Erirornal Kraione wrote: Traded 2 Baneslayers for a foil one I opened at the prerelease of M11, and bought one for 12 euros.
    And I will now cease questioning your acquisition of cards.

42. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 19:15:39

I often get lucky, that's all. ;)

43. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 19:34:19

creatures are getting too good whats wrong with the good old days where a 2/2 with no abilities costed 3 mana?

44. RH
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 19:59:32

Zombo wrote: creatures are getting too good whats wrong with the good old days where a 2/2 with no abilities costed 3 mana?
    +1 anyway here's an artifact deck i made really fast. 5 Plains 9 Island 3 Swamp 4 Etherium Sculptor 1 Sphinx Sovereign 2 mox lotus 1 Leonin Abunas 1 Tidehollow sculler 1 Sharuum the Hegemon 3 Sanctum Gargoyle 4 Master Transmuter 4 Sphinx Summoner 2 Steel hellkite 1 Magister Sphinx 1 Inkwell Leviathan 1 Platinum Angel 1 Filigree angel 4 Fabricate 2 Orzhov Signet 2 Dimir Signet 2 Azorius Signet 2 Leyline of Sanctity 2 Gleemax 2 Obelisk of Esper for teh lolz(yes i know i have unhinged cards)

45. sangara
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 20:36:29

That's easy, people got bored of OP Blue control cards.

46. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 6 2011 20:37:44

Cryptic Command. *shudders*

47. popotoo
    Date: Mon, Feb 7 2011 22:33:08

I play with a BW aggro/control cleric (extended xd) and an UW aggro (extended as well x.x) my deck are not high tier, but is nice to play... here goes the lists: cleric BW lands -2 caves of koilos -2 starlit sanctum -7 swamps -7 plains creatures -3 master apothecary -4 edgewalker -3 children of korlis -3 vile deacon -2 beloved chaplain -3 dark supplicant -4 martyr of sands -2 doubtless one -4 cabal archon -2 whipgrass entangler -1 scion of darkness spells -4 mortify -3 swords to plowshares -2 gerrard's veredict -2 misery charm missing the BW duals TT UW aggro lands -2 azorius chancery -9 plains -9 island creatures -4 suntail hawk -4 leonin skyhunter -4 azorius first wing (need to change it x.x) -4 mistral charger -4 pride of the clouds spells -4 mana leak -4 cancel (need change into counterspell) -4 condemn -4 glorious anthem -4 unstable mutation and missing duals again x.x

48. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Feb 13 2011 20:01:51

Watching the Top 8 of Pro Tour Paris made me realise how happy I am with my playset of Stoneforge Mystics. o_O 22 Stoneforge Mystics in the top 8. Crazy.

49. davidguy
    Date: Mon, Feb 21 2011 22:34:18

a discard/burn deck im thinking about making, opinions? I'm on a super low budget so don't suggest expensive cards, kind of the reasons i don't have them in my deck =_= btw I play MTG Online Instant (12) 2x Burst Lightning 4x Lightning Bolt 3x Staggershock 3x Terminate Land (21) 4x Akoum Refuge 8x Mountain 9x Swamp Enchantment (7) 4x Liliana's Caress 3x Quest for the Nihil Stone Creature (10) 2x Bloodhusk Ritualist 3x Kiln Fiend 2x Sanity Gnawers 3x Slavering Nulls Sorcery (10) 4x Blightning 4x Duress 2x Mind Rot I also found this site http://tappedout.net/ pretty cool if you haven't seen it before