UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / Pen Mods Book

1. Mats
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 20:23:29

This is just a thread I'm throwing out there to see if there would be any interest in a pen mods book. If you would be interested, it would be nice to hear your ideas on content and layout. I'm not saying I'm going to do this book, only that I will do one if the interest is high enough.

2. drgripable
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 20:42:16

Sounds kinda cool actually.....but something like this would need to be constantly updated, so though i think it would be awesome, its better to have like some sort of online catalog hence, the wiki

3. Mats
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 20:52:14

drgripable wrote: Sounds kinda cool actually.....but something like this would need to be constantly updated, so though i think it would be awesome, its better to have like some sort of online catalog hence, the wiki
    How often would it need to be updated? If the answer is every few months, it's doable. Otherwise, it will not be updated often enough.

4. chris
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 21:06:07

I immediately thought of something like a booklet, or rather, a large enough book. O.o with a lot of mods already within the "market", if ever one will start the book, he/she will have to choose, IMO, more of the popular mods first to cover up before the lesser known ones OR they may take suggestions on what to put in the book for its "1st edition". just saying.

5. Hex
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 22:27:41

well we already have the wiki page. And it is pretty organized. If someone just consistently updated that, then i don't think that we would need a pen mod book. nevertheless, i think that it is a good idea.

6. vento
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 22:48:57

A book in which are mods that are just finished? Like a show off? Or a book in which are tutorials? I don´t get it, sorry.

7. Mats
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 23:12:09

vento wrote: A book in which are mods that are just finished? Like a show off? Or a book in which are tutorials? I don´t get it, sorry.
    It would be a book that would have information such as: mod name weight length creator link to wiki page on mod (that would likely contain a tutorial) Perhaps more info. I see it as a way you could organise mods by weight or length, to find the correct one for you, or browse mods by creator, so if you like a mod created by a person, you can look at their others. A definitive list of all the useful mods that are out there.

8. Apho
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 23:20:47

i think something like this would be way more useful if every listing had a link to the tutorial. I dont see much reason in just posting stats and such without telling the reader how to make it.

9. Mats
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 23:22:25

Apho wrote: i think something like this would be way more useful if every listing had a link to the tutorial. I dont see much reason in just posting stats and such without telling the reader how to make it.
    Did you read the post above, Apho?

10. Apho
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 23:26:22

yeah, but it said most likely a tutorial. edit: that wasnt specific enough. what im saying is that it should absolutely have a tutorial released.

11. Mats
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 23:28:59

Well, if the creator has not released a tutorial and no-one else is sure, how can it happen?

12. TheAafg
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 23:33:56

This is a awesome idea, but I dont understand how it would like work out.

13. k-ryder
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 23:48:17

i'm on the fence for this idea, but i'll try and convince my self it is a good idea during this post the problem is, who are you selling this book to? experienced spinners/modders or newbies experienced spinners would not need such a book, as they have and can find all the resources on UPSB/intarwebz they might possibly buy it for the novelty/collection purposes, but that doesn't serve much use therefore, it is for the new spinners, or people who haven't even started spinning yet if that is the case, then things like general modding tips/tricks, like how to get a g2 grip off, how to do tape cuts, how to cleanly cut dr grips, all the stuff that gets posted in the quick modifications question thread should appear in the book, possibly as little tips at the corner of a page also, the mods should be in a hybrid of difficulty to mod and recommendation for newbie spinning order ie. no point opening the book and having buster on the first page, maybe have a number 2 pencil, which can be easily modded but also a good recommendation for a new spinner then maybe an MX, comssa, then inceasing in difficulty/the other one that i haven't figured out a single consice word for yet, until you get to something like the JEB g3 mods obviously this would be sold on penwish (atleast to begin with) correct? it could be a nice resource for new spinners, maybe cut down some spam questions in the most replies, and also if the creator so chooses, it could bring income into UPSB

14. papa happy
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 23:52:27

lol i have one!!!!! i made it, and its any time i see a mod i want (or dont want) i find the tut and i make a page for it :) lol but i would like to see one out there

15. Apho
    Date: Sun, Jan 30 2011 23:52:43

Fresh wrote: Well, if the creator has not released a tutorial and no-one else is sure, how can it happen?
    yeah so i was thinking you'd only put in mods that are released with a tut, no speculating or anything like that

16. Mats
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 00:02:16

This whole post is pretty speculative. Nothing is set in stone yet. It's good to know what people want. ;)

17. A.Sate
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 00:33:15

If your willing to put effort, it would be a better idea to edit the wiki, where its free and available for everyone. Unless your just trying to make money.

18. Holypie
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 00:47:10

I don't think it's an actual BOOK like a printed book. I think it's more like the trick book which is a directory of tricks. So this would be a large directory of mods with links to tutorials as well as stats.

19. Mats
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 00:54:20

A.Sate;58575]If your willing to put effort, it would be a better idea to edit the wiki, where its free and available for everyone. Unless your just trying to make money.[/QUOTE] I've already made 75 edits on the wiki apparently and intend to make more. ;) [QUOTE=k-ryder;58563]Lots of writingl[/QUOTE] Not a book to sell. It will be free. [QUOTE=papa happy wrote: lol i have one!!!!! i made it, and its any time i see a mod i want (or dont want) i find the tut and i make a page for it :) lol but i would like to see one out there
    Is it available for us to see?

20. Mats
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 00:54:59

Holypie wrote: I don't think it's an actual BOOK like a printed book. I think it's more like the trick book which is a directory of tricks. So this would be a large directory of mods with links to tutorials as well as stats.
    Correct.

21. A.Sate
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 00:58:26

Oh ok, everyone just implied that it was a written book that would be sold online. Its not a bad idea, but we already have a wiki and it would be easier to access and all. But if you do make a directory, Im sure lots of people would use it, myself included.

22. Holypie
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 01:15:15

The problem that I've found with the wiki is that it doesn't have many of the mods that I want to make. Thespyre has a lot of mods but sometimes it can be slow/hard to understand. It would be very nice if those articles can be processed and added to the wiki (by processed I mean clarified. Google translate is pretty bad).

23. Hex
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 01:17:20

Fresh wrote: It would be a book that would have information such as: mod name weight length creator link to wiki page on mod (that would likely contain a tutorial) Perhaps more info. I see it as a way you could organise mods by weight or length, to find the correct one for you, or browse mods by creator, so if you like a mod created by a person, you can look at their others. A definitive list of all the useful mods that are out there.
    Why not just update the wiki page with the latest mods?

24. Mats
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 01:48:15

It's just a concise way to put all the information. For example, if I want to get a longer mod, I can ask on here or search around lots of pen in the wiki, or just see a list of lots of mods, sorted by length.

25. Riley
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 02:25:41

Holypie wrote: The problem that I've found with the wiki is that it doesn't have many of the mods that I want to make. Thespyre has a lot of mods but sometimes it can be slow/hard to understand. It would be very nice if those articles can be processed and added to the wiki (by processed I mean clarified. Google translate is pretty bad).
    I agree with Holypie.

26. Escorpio123
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 02:35:28

The number of mods are infinities since every 1 out of 10 spinners create their own mods :/. But it is a good idea to have a book of mods, the most popular mods, the most used ones today and in the past :).

27. hoiboy
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 02:36:06

l33t mx needs to be in

28. spinnerhui
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 02:44:13

After reading these posts, let me shoot out some ideas to @Fresh You could make an online directory of pen mods including: Length Weight Pens used Links to video tutorials General information (who popularized it, any controversy against the mod {Buster} etc.) Penwish/pendolsa link if applicable and add a review function for the mod so that people can express themselves. If you do this, YOU ARE A SAINT!!!! FOR NEWBIES!!!

29. Mats
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 02:52:37

Links sound good. General info would be on the wiki. If there is enough general info for a wiki article to be made, there will be a link to that wiki article.

30. papa happy
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 04:28:03

@Fresh maybe one day when its all done :) but not now still working on it ;P

31. Froggy
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 09:04:26

I'm guessing a e-book.. in pdf format. this is what I want the book to be: - Sorted by Mod name - Includes final mod pic - Includes mod stats such as = Creator (and also from which board(s)) = Length = Weight = Cost (pricing can be based on PW) = Pens needed = Difficulty of modding - Full complete text + pic tutorial - Include link to video tutorial and also index page for easy searching. That is step 1.. step 2, is to gather [B]ALL[/B] the mods out there and compile it. unless the mod is a complete joke (excluding leet mx.. it is leet afterall), it should be in the book. PrinceXD

32. chris
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 10:15:02

PrinceXD wrote: I'm guessing a e-book.. in pdf format. this is what I want the book to be: - Sorted by Mod name - Includes final mod pic - Includes mod stats such as = Creator (and also from which board(s)) = Length = Weight = Cost (pricing can be based on PW) = Pens needed = Difficulty of modding - Full complete text + pic tutorial - Include link to video tutorial and also index page for easy searching. That is step 1.. step 2, is to gather [B]ALL[/B] the mods out there and compile it. unless the mod is a complete joke (excluding leet mx.. it is leet afterall), it should be in the book. PrinceXD
    Gee, I wish I had the time to make this one. Also, problem is, will the creator take fresh pictures for the tutorials or try to dig up and recycle the originally used pictures/videos? This is in junction with low quality pictures and/or videos. I can picture it in my head already ^^ As for the wiki, I think a pdf is more advisable. I made tons of editing to the Wiki, only to get it wiped out by the 'time warp'. I lost interest then. Also, in the wiki, you'll have to learn some wiki-script as opposed to PDFs, where you can convert a .doc to a .pdf file. How about the terminologies used?

33. SuiXidaL
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 10:19:34

I'd rather just have the wiki updated -_-

34. Its2Quiet
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 23:06:17

Yes, the book idea sounds like a great idea. But then again, this is pretty much the wiki is for.

35. Mats
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 14:47:44

Lots of conflicting messages and lots of good ideas. There seem to be a decent ratio of yes to no and a fair overall amount of votes, so I will start on this later today (probably late evening time).

36. PrettyPonyMan
    Date: Tue, Dec 6 2011 23:13:25

That be cool like a dictionary for mods amazing do it. Good luck if you do.

37. Red Zone
    Date: Tue, Dec 6 2011 23:31:00

hey @Mats did anyone go through the time and effort of making a book just wondering if yes where is it

38. Mats
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 00:04:18

I haven't worked on this since February. I will probably ressurect it at some point by making a team on UPSB to do it.

39. midniteferret
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 00:05:47

@Mats I could take it up but only on making instructions for premade mods

40. Mats
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 00:06:57

midniteferret wrote: @Red Zone as cool as that would be, I doubt it. Also it would be good if there was a book on how to put together mods and also basic modding needs such as removing the paint from a super pirat body. If there was such a book I would buy it.
    The book will be an online ebook, in several formats. It will also be FREE. :thumb:

41. midniteferret
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 00:14:13

@Mats cool could you upload the pdf sometime, this sounds like a fun project

42. Mats
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 00:15:54

Well only if people help. I really need help on a project like this. I have only ever made a few pen mods and never really look at pen mods or even read that section of the forum... If no help is forthcoming, the book isn't really happening (I will release a not very full one).

43. midniteferret
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 00:23:38

I WILL help (cuz I am just awesome) so I say that we make a group so that this can be more organized.

44. Mats
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 00:25:27

midniteferret wrote: I WILL help (cuz I am just awesome) so I say that we make a group so that this can be more organized.
    Sweet. :thumb:

45. Abyss
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 01:40:37

im intrested in helping :D

46. Mats
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 03:31:46

Join the team. Community -> Groups -> Pen mod book team -> +join

47. Raos
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 04:11:35

IIRC theres already one which some austrailian guy made that was a excel file on google docs

48. SuiXidaL
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 04:59:41

@Mats Add me to the group, i can help with getting a large name bank up.

49. Mats
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 05:12:37

SuiXidaL wrote: @Mats Add me to the group, i can help with getting a large name bank up.
    I'm not running the group. Just apply to it and the admin will accept you.

50. SuiXidaL
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 07:48:06

Mats wrote: I'm not running the group. Just apply to it and the admin will accept you.
    I can't cause it's private. Can't even apply.

51. Mats
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 07:48:55

Well that's to take up with whoever is running the group then.

52. SuiXidaL
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 07:51:08

@midniteferret

53. mapjay
    Date: Wed, Dec 7 2011 10:11:21

@midniteferret i want in too :)

54. midniteferret
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 19:56:02

to all who want in: Name: Book experience: What I can contribute: Programs I have (publisher, word): Age: Modding experience: Other:

55. Mats
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 22:20:23

midniteferret wrote: to all who want in: Name: Book experience: What I can contribute: Programs I have (publisher, word): Age: Modding experience: Other:
    All unnecessary questions. Especially the what programs do you have? If you're making a book, make it accessable and editable by everyone.

56. Raos
    Date: Mon, Dec 12 2011 22:46:19

I suggest you talk with the australian guy I mentioned. Theres already like 50 entries.

57. midniteferret
    Date: Fri, Dec 16 2011 03:56:51

@Mats you need basic software to edit, but to read I just wanna make it a pdf so it is viewable online.

58. Mats
    Date: Fri, Dec 16 2011 07:13:18

midniteferret wrote: @Mats you need basic software to edit, but to read I just wanna make it a pdf so it is viewable online.
    You need nothing more than a free program from the internets to edit and the book should be in more formats than just .pdf.

59. webspider
    Date: Fri, Dec 16 2011 22:48:58

Use LaTeX if you want to make a professional looking book and let it export to PDF. Problem solved. If you really want, you could publish a simplified HTML version (which would make updates a tad easier).

60. midniteferret
    Date: Sun, Dec 18 2011 02:34:24

@webspider thx for the advice. That is actually a pretty good idea

61. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Thu, Dec 29 2011 13:55:42

You should honestly get the content made, then export finally to PDF with professional pictures, page design and artwork so that it looks like a finished piece rather than a hastily made version in MS word.

62. Mats
    Date: Thu, Dec 29 2011 14:40:49

eurocracy wrote: You should honestly get the content made, then export finally to PDF with professional pictures, page design and artwork so that it looks like a finished piece rather than a hastily made version in MS word.
    Yeah ok. You can go ahead and make that then.

63. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Dec 30 2011 12:20:16

Well, I don't quite have pictures of every mod in the word being made D: But I can do all the rest of it, I do have pretty much every Adobe product and know how to use them. EDIT: I'll see if I can make a template idea that would work across the pages.

64. midniteferret
    Date: Wed, Jan 4 2012 04:39:27

@eurocracy they can also be diagrams and I also have the whole adobe creative suite

65. neowulf
    Date: Wed, Jan 11 2012 16:53:12

I think that would be pretty awesome :) It would be nice to have sections labeled as to which mods are best handled by which skill level, so anyone who's new or even slightly experienced can get a taste for all the different mods available. I would so buy something like this, because it's nice sometimes not to have to get online to look up everything. Just my personal opinion though. I'd definitely dig a section for tricks too, like a listing of the trick family with shot by shot trick progressions. It could be wicked awesome :3