UPSB v4

Off-topic / I want to learn about something. Suggest a subject.

1. nateiskewl
    Date: Fri, Jan 21 2011 21:44:56

I've been kind of inspired by all the knowledge people have around here, and I want some of it. Suggest to me a topic to learn about and how I should go about learning it. Please no jokes, I don't want to see anyone suggesting something that isn't commonly taught in school. If it helps, I've been through the following relevant courses in school: - Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II/Trig (one semester) - World History AP (one semester) - Biology, Chemistry (one semester) - German (three semesters) - English (who the fuck cares) - Photography (one semester) Thanks!

2. Awesome
    Date: Fri, Jan 21 2011 21:47:39

music, pick up an instrument, find youtube video tutorials/websites and friends who play instruments.

3. strat1227
    Date: Fri, Jan 21 2011 21:52:44

philosophy is really fun to learn about in my opinion, a good introductory book is "Fifty Major Philosophers" it has a 2 pages summary of 50 most important philosophers (i have this book on PDF if you want the file i can give it to you) also of course i'm going to say physics because, well, i'm me xD

4. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Jan 21 2011 21:57:06

i agree on the philosophy but its taught in school and maybe its better to get a class first to get into it.

5. strat1227
    Date: Fri, Jan 21 2011 21:58:44

tbh when i want to learn about things i avoid classes in them, when i'm forced to do homework and stuff i lose interest, plus then you have to study what the teacher says and not what you're interested in that's just me though

6. Awesome
    Date: Fri, Jan 21 2011 22:01:08

yeah I agree with strat, I wanted to learn guitar, took a grade 9 guitar class and that killed all interest in it for me. Then a few years later I had a friend showed me and now I enjoy it. With the Internet formal instruction is a lot less important then what it once was.

7. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Jan 21 2011 22:02:19

maybe not for music, but for philosophy i think an experienced mentor is important, at the very least, you need the opportunity to engage in a philosophical conversation, philosophy requires thought, so writing essays is good too. you're not gonna write essays if its informal, all you'll be doing is reading.

8. strat1227
    Date: Fri, Jan 21 2011 22:04:42

true, good point, i guess i learned philosophy from doing debate which still involves people. dunno if i'd have liked it if i took the class though

9. iMatt
    Date: Fri, Jan 21 2011 22:06:47

C++ Java You'll thank me later.

10. XYZaki
    Date: Sat, Jan 22 2011 00:52:43

Calculus. Any math is fun really, as long as you understand it.

11. Mike
    Date: Sat, Jan 22 2011 01:14:28

XYZaki wrote: Calculus. Any math is fun really, as long as you understand it.
    This. Also Philosophy and Psychology. Very interesting subjects.

12. Colin
    Date: Sat, Jan 22 2011 01:22:21

iMatt wrote: C++ Java You'll thank me later.
    This Beatboxing Drifting Being a badass motherfucker An asshole--wait..you already are one :trollface: but yeah. pick up an instrument, preferably the guitar and uke.

13. Mike
    Date: Sat, Jan 22 2011 01:25:35

Lean to play the Piano. Learn about the human body, become a physiologist. The possibilities are endless, sir.

14. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, Jan 22 2011 01:45:55

Modern Physics!! It's awesome! Plus you got Strat. Or Astronomy. It's linked to Modern Physics in many ways but Astronomy is in itself flourishing with knowledge to be acquired. After studying in it for awhile, I've subscribed to the believe that Astronomy is the most important science.

15. poisoned
    Date: Sat, Jan 22 2011 03:57:42

strat1227 wrote: tbh when i want to learn about things i avoid classes in them, when i'm forced to do homework and stuff i lose interest, plus then you have to study what the teacher says and not what you're interested in that's just me though
    I believe it was Einstein who said "It is a miracle that my curiosity survived a formal education."

16. nateiskewl
    Date: Sat, Jan 22 2011 17:14:27

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I might just go with philosophy. :D

iMatt wrote: C++ Java You'll thank me later.
    I got into C++ a while ago and it just takes so long to learn enough to accomplish something worthwhile. I have a couple books on Ruby, but I haven't touched them since I got them.

17. Eso
    Date: Sun, Jan 23 2011 03:37:49

Foreign languages. Choose any.

18. SJ
    Date: Sun, Jan 23 2011 07:34:51

music. sports. language. that is all. :D oh and computer skills haha

19. jess
    Date: Wed, Jan 26 2011 07:48:07

I would suggest art history. Pick an art period and indulge in art ;D

20. Mats
    Date: Wed, Jan 26 2011 09:43:09

Why not learn a little bit about a lot of things and then choose the one/few that you enjoyed the most or found most interesting? I also don't see much practical knowledge here. Why not learn to fix basic problems with cars or how to plaster a wall?

21. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Jan 27 2011 00:13:16

lol why would you learn something like that out of the blue, those are things you should learn as you need them you learn to plaster a wall because you have a wall that needs plastering, not because it's something interesting lol

22. neXus
    Date: Thu, Jan 27 2011 01:27:17

I read stuff that I think at some point could be useful to me.

23. Storm
    Date: Thu, Jan 27 2011 05:48:13

Poetry. Chicks dig lyrical wordsmiths. Trust me, bro. :y

24. Dylan
    Date: Thu, Jan 27 2011 07:00:53

A programming language, spanish, french, or mandarin (chinese). And I agree with piano and philosophy. And learning some history from the point of veiw of say, someone from england, france, japan, etc. is sometimes intersting. And evolving knowlage of space, like theory's on the universes creation, stuff on black holes, theoretical things about time travel, stuff like that. Oh, and something very interesting, which sortof relates to school, would be learning about "vedic mathmatics" search it on youtube, or search "easycal" it's very interesting. Hope I helped in some way lol.

25. boshi
    Date: Thu, Jan 27 2011 08:26:47

music? but beware if you get into saxophone. the cost of endless variety of saxes+necks+mouthpieces+reeds can skyrocket. iv spent over $6000 in the 2 months =(

26. nateiskewl
    Date: Thu, Jan 27 2011 23:37:25

Dylan wrote: vedic mathmatics
    This is awesome.

27. tylt
    Date: Thu, Jan 27 2011 23:58:13

boshi wrote: music? but beware if you get into saxophone. the cost of endless variety of saxes+necks+mouthpieces+reeds can skyrocket. iv spent over $6000 in the 2 months =(
    Jesus, wanna help me out on next semesters tuition? That seems unheard of, 6000 g's in two months on an instrument.

28. TheAafg
    Date: Fri, Jan 28 2011 00:00:23

your a complete noob if you breaking reeds and why do you keep needing new saxes?

29. Dylan
    Date: Fri, Jan 28 2011 01:07:37

I know right xD I found all of the easycal things for free/ I might buy the algebra ones just for fun though. It's hard to remember them if you dont use them, so for several weeks i had a set of notecards for class, and I forced myself to only use shortcuts, and no calculator.

30. Holypie
    Date: Fri, Jan 28 2011 01:27:05

TheAafg wrote: your a complete noob if you breaking reeds and why do you keep needing new saxes?
    One sax is very expensive to begin with, and those things are necessities. Flute or brass instruments are much less expensive since a brass mouthpiece will last you a much longer time than reeds will. Flute mouthpieces will last the lifetime of the flute >_>. A warning though, larger brass instruments can get really expensive (lower brass like Baritones/Euphoniums, tubas, etc.).

31. TheAafg
    Date: Fri, Jan 28 2011 02:02:28

Holypie wrote: One sax is very expensive to begin with, and those things are necessities. Flute or brass instruments are much less expensive since a brass mouthpiece will last you a much longer time than reeds will. Flute mouthpieces will last the lifetime of the flute >_>. A warning though, larger brass instruments can get really expensive (lower brass like Baritones/Euphoniums, tubas, etc.).
    Instruments can be borrowed from school. I used to play the clarinet for 2 years. I have only bought reeds 3 times.

32. boshi
    Date: Fri, Jan 28 2011 03:20:21

TheAafg wrote: your a complete noob if you breaking reeds and why do you keep needing new saxes?
    I dont spend that much money normally in 2 months lol. But with saxes and probably clarinets, there are so many ways you mix and match parts(neck, barrel, mouthpiece, etc.) to find what suits you best, and for what suits the piece you are playing best. All that can add up fast.

33. Awesome
    Date: Fri, Jan 28 2011 03:43:43

unless you are playing at a very high level slight differences in tone probably aren't going to make that much of a difference. I am assuming its like guitar tone, you aren't going to need some great amp if you can't play, the tone won't be noticeable when your playing isn't near flawless. (you might notice it but it isn't going to affect the quality of hte end product)

boshi wrote: I dont spend that much money normally in 2 months lol. But with saxes and probably clarinets, there are so many ways you mix and match parts(neck, barrel, mouthpiece, etc.) to find what suits you best, and for what suits the piece you are playing best. All that can add up fast.

34. Mike
    Date: Fri, Jan 28 2011 04:42:48

This thread is now apparently about Saxaphones. Nate, you might like Philosophy. I'm currently taking a course on it, and it is very, very interesting. Good choice.

35. Storm
    Date: Fri, Jan 28 2011 05:17:29

Back on that saxophone topic. I've played saxophone for yearssssssss (you see that? 8 "s.") and unless you're going to be REALLY picky about things, necks and the like are completely inessential. Since you just want a hobby, don't drop sax off your list (unless buying an instrument at all is beyond your price range). Besides, if you like it you could always buy the extra stuff later and get more serious. Saxophone is a very good hobby as most people know how to play recorder which uses a fingering style VERY similar to the sax. (the soprano sax is also pretty cool since it's like a saxophone + clarinet combo.) On the other hand, you could learn hacking. It's pretty ambitious of a goal though since learning javascript/other coding languages (maybe Python... *shrug*) would be almost necessary for anything above simple stuff. ... Dungeons and Dragons is fun too, provided you have a group of humorous, creative guys to play with (that don't dress up... @_@). >_> QUEST QUEST QUEST.

36. boshi
    Date: Fri, Jan 28 2011 05:21:26

^lol at the "saxophone thread" post. Honestly, just go for any instrument. While im here, anyone know what is usually taught in philosophy and astronomy courses in highschool? im thinking about maybe taking one of those next year.

37. SJ
    Date: Sat, Jan 29 2011 02:28:22

maybe its just me but how is philosophy useful in life?

38. Mike
    Date: Sat, Jan 29 2011 02:39:38

SJ wrote: maybe its just me but how is philosophy useful in life?
    No idea, but you could ask Philosophers with Ph.D's. I'm taking it out of curiosity, and so far, I really like the class.

39. Mats
    Date: Sat, Jan 29 2011 02:44:34

No one suggested psychology?

40. Mike
    Date: Sat, Jan 29 2011 02:47:02

Fresh;57897]No one suggested psychology?[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Mike wrote: This. Also Philosophy and Psychology. Very interesting subjects.
    I did, sir.