UPSB v4

Advanced Tricks / "Fingered Roll" New Concept Video

1. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Jan 20 2011 18:51:52

Yesterday I was playing around, and came up with this idea, tell me if you've seen it before, but basically it stemmed from a half pipe motion, since rolling a pen on a single finger often times has balance issues, using the thumb as a part of the plat form to stabilize and a squeezing motion for the push, this evolved. I haven't perfected it yet but here is the idea in its infancy, try it out :]!. [video=youtube;1gh-qiW3TQU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gh-qiW3TQU[/video] Alternative names or ways of describing the idea are fine as well. Seems related to the tap family of tricks so it could be a tapped roll? It isn't limited to the thumb and fingers in the side position by any means it's fairly simple to get into and I think it has potential.

2. Wisp
    Date: Thu, Jan 20 2011 19:14:36

Hehehe :) Do that with socks on your hands and it's a puppet show ^.^ Like the concept though, haven't seen that before..

3. Hex
    Date: Thu, Jan 20 2011 19:43:40

Its really fun... xD

4. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Jan 20 2011 19:55:45

Forgot to put this in the video, but I wanted to talk about assisted rolls with a finger guiding as well, which helps with the balancing and practibility of arm rolls, it's fairly simple, just follow the rolling pen with your index finger under it so it rolls down both your arm and your index finger at the same time ( so it's on a rail kind of) wherever you want to go, it makes it easier to do and change direction. plus it smooths the transition and let's you transfer to the other hand if you wish. Then again things like arm rolls should be fairly simple with practice and speed... :\

5. DLSpins
    Date: Thu, Jan 20 2011 22:41:39

I think thats pretty sweet seems like sopmething Freeman would incoperate

6. JackyMacky
    Date: Fri, Jan 21 2011 00:03:05

im learning 1p2h and this looks cool. i also tried using other than index but also the middle and ring finger. pretty neat trick. :D

7. Freeman
    Date: Fri, Jan 21 2011 13:44:55

Forgot to put this in the video, but I wanted to talk about assisted rolls with a finger guiding as well, which helps with the balancing and practibility of arm rolls, it's fairly simple, just follow the rolling pen with your index finger under it so it rolls down both your arm and your index finger at the same time ( so it's on a rail kind of) wherever you want to go, it makes it easier to do and change direction. plus it smooths the transition and let's you transfer to the other hand if you wish.
    I find this interesting. I have tried it, but the pen can't roll when doing it because the index is moving, then it becomes a slide. If you keep your hands close and let the pen roll on the forearm and index finger, it will roll, but also fall. If you try to follow the pen with your hand a bit slower than his arm movement, and at the same time let it roll, a circular motion is created, because the end of the pen touching the finger goes at less speed than the one touching your arm. A video would be great to see exactly how you do it. Hope you understood me.

8. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Jan 21 2011 14:58:32

its cool but as always with those kind of spinless tricks, its difficult to execute in a visually impressive manner, it's a just a question of execution

9. Hex
    Date: Fri, Jan 21 2011 21:14:17

hmm, if we try something like stuhl's angle. It might look really cool, with as zombo stated proper execution.

10. Zz4b3R
    Date: Sun, Jan 23 2011 18:47:32

Funny i like it ;)

11. shoeman6
    Date: Tue, Jan 25 2011 03:28:22

Playing this some more, you might find it easier to do the reverse, squeezing in to bring the pen towards the base of the thumb and index finger and pushing out (opening your fingers) to have it roll out, the opposite of what I presented, both work, only I think this direction feels a bit easier / more natural.