UPSB v4

General Discussion / Opposite-hand practicing

1. Advecticity
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 01:12:42

It's obviously easier for people to learn tricks on their dominant hand. Once it's learned on the dominant hand and the motion of said trick is understood, you only need to do half the work to get it on the opposite hand. But then, do you find that learning the same trick on your opposite hand (say, the shadow) helps you get it more consistently on your dominant hand, or do you find it doesn't make much of a difference?

2. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 01:28:37

doesn't seem to make much of a difference, my left hand knows tricks that my right hand doesn't and vice versa even, I think it just helps learning the basic motion of it, but consistency is really refined muscle memory of the trick, so that doesn't carry over that well I find.

3. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 01:36:04

I think it's generally accepted that learning two hands at the same times is the best way to go in manipulations, pen spinning may be different due to it's origins, the culture of spinners, or the difficulty of the tricks.

4. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 01:39:47

no, same with penspining, thats what I did, and I am told i am way better then I actually am cuz I have two hands too use, like you have no idea some of the shit I can't do/ never even bothered with XD

5. SJ
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 02:19:39

Awesome wrote: doesn't seem to make much of a difference, my left hand knows tricks that my right hand doesn't and vice versa even, I think it just helps learning the basic motion of it, but consistency is really refined muscle memory of the trick, so that doesn't carry over that well I find.
    this. its not always easier, but not always harder either. but im not really ambidextrous so ya haha

6. JackyMacky
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 03:17:32

left-hand learns half of wut right hand learns (somehow, i could do TA harmonic, neobak, sonic, and twisted sonic when i didnt start left hand yet until now), all based on muscle memory, no consistency improvement to the dominant hand whatsoever. though, im having the same problems that my right hand had when learning new tricks (such as the inflexible ring finger).

7. tacohead12
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 07:50:45

Although I never practice using my left hand I can do some tricks still. I have noticed that most of the tricks that require mostly momentum are easy on my left hand. For example, shadow, devils sonic, twisted sonic, FL TA's, etc. For some reason I can't really do sonic well on my left hand lol.

8. Wind
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 08:51:35

Shouldn't this thread be called opposite-hand practicing? Rather than Left-hand practicing? =\

9. Advecticity
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 12:08:13

JackyMacky wrote: left-hand learns half of wut right hand learns (somehow, i could do TA harmonic, neobak, sonic, and twisted sonic when i didnt start left hand yet until now), all based on muscle memory, no consistency improvement to the dominant hand whatsoever. though, im having the same problems that my right hand had when learning new tricks (such as the inflexible ring finger).
    Last part's quite true, my ring finger can lift higher on my right hand and I find that lame but w/e.
    Shouldn't this thread be called opposite-hand practicing? Rather than Left-hand practicing? =\
    Fixed, was looking for the right terms.