UPSB v4

General Discussion / Beginner's Guide to Pen Spinning

1. papa happy
    Date: Fri, Jan 14 2011 17:50:27

ok, so im going to start making tut videos, and before i start doing that i wanted to make a video for beginners.... and on this vid i wanted to give imfo about pen spinning... like mods, tricks, where to get imfo, fundamentals vs advanced tricks and learning order. also stuff on hand care, and stuff like that ....... i just really wished there was somthing like that when i started and i think it would help a lot of beginners :) soooo, i just wanted to know what you think , and if you have anything else you would like me to add to this video :D any thing you wish you knew when you started pen spinning .. then after this vid im going to start making tut videos, i think that eso and ktrans are great , but i feel i could add some stuf that will help :D so just let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions that would be great :D thatnks

2. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Fri, Jan 14 2011 18:18:00

In our country we don't have access to youtube so the only place where I could learn pen tricks was yahoo videos. And yahoo films on pen spinning didn't explain how to do the tricks it just showed the trick from the front. I say that for making tutorials you should show the trick from different angles so that the person who sees it can understand. Now that I have found a way to view the youtube videos I see that I could have learned a lot easier. The sonic was the hardest trick for me to understand. ............................................................................... EDIT: And it would be good if you introduce famous spinners with some links to their videos. good luck

3. papa happy
    Date: Fri, Jan 14 2011 18:47:24

eazi-penspinner wrote: In our country we don't have access to youtube so the only place where I could learn pen tricks was yahoo videos. And yahoo films on pen spinning didn't explain how to do the tricks it just showed the trick from the front. I say that for making tutorials you should show the trick from different angles so that the person who sees it can understand. Now that I have found a way to view the youtube videos I see that I could have learned a lot easier. The sonic was the hardest trick for me to understand.
    i understand ... i had youtube and it was still knida hard for to to learn tricks :( but the good thng about it is , now that i figured them out, i can show and explain how i did them.... cause i didnt have anyone to show me so it was all on me...... so i think that i might be able to show the tricks in a differnt view, and i can show the tricks to the tricks i learned :) ive been teaching my friends how to do tricks and they pick them up sooooooooo much faster then i did, cause i can show them what i changed to make the trick work! it kinda makes me mad that they pick them up wayyy faster them me, but i didnt have anyone and they had me to show them...... and i want to be able to do the same here :)

4. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Jan 14 2011 19:44:29

Having a community helps the most in my opinion when I started upsb was transitioning so I was boardless direct them/show how important a resource upsb can be.

5. papa happy
    Date: Fri, Jan 14 2011 19:49:19

shoeman6 wrote: Having a community helps the most in my opinion when I started upsb was transitioning so I was boardless direct them/show how important a resource upsb can be.
    for sure ... that was going to be one of the big things in the video!!! i can not tell you how much upsb helped me, and i want to make sure that they know it :D thanks your imput :D

6. Eso
    Date: Fri, Jan 14 2011 22:43:26

There's one thing you're overlooking... You can't show the people over the internet how to do the tricks the same way you would as if you were there in person. It's a totally different environment. Granted, there's no real way for the beginners to download the information you know, but you're still limited to a camera. There's already lots of tutorials that have different teaching methodology, especially when it comes to the basics. But if you feel like you have some innovative way of teaching these tricks that hasn't been done before, by all means go for it! Otherwise, you'll also face the same hoard of people saying "I don't get it," "Where's the left/right handed version?," "That tip/advice didn't help," etc.

7. papa happy
    Date: Fri, Jan 14 2011 23:19:36

I feel ya ..... But I want try, hopefully I can help : D but like you said they can't just know what I'm talking about but I'm goin to do my best :) P.s. I love ur tut , they helped me greatly !

8. Eso
    Date: Fri, Jan 14 2011 23:46:57

One thing I'd like to see is a reminder that spinning, like any other hobby, is a journey of self-discovery. You teach yourself, we only show the way. Or, we show you the door, but only you can walk through it. That kinda thing. With so many people learning in different ways and different rates, no one video can show them all. Also, spinning requires you to use your fingers in ways you haven't before. We can't exactly jump into your body, do the trick, and then jump out of your body. Everything requires so much practice. Even the Fundamentals. Good luck!

9. exclusive
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 00:22:54

an angle guide? many new spinners have crappy angles

10. medacyber
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 01:00:20

i think thats a great idea you could post some vids here cuz even when the ppl who cant access youtube can still watch the vids :)

11. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 01:35:30

There's a lot of trick tutorials already. What I think would be cool is to have a video series that teaches other aspects of pen spinning, like some of the history can be a few videos, maybe how to figure out new tricks and mini combos from videos can be one, basic video editing skills could be one, setting up a camera angle could be another etc. etc. There are a lot more skills to pen spinning then just knowing x,y,and z tricks, which not many (if any) videos touch on.

12. Badboy
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 18:01:59

It seems like you'd be a good teacher.. especially on what you want to show in your videos.. the technical part of it... what you need to know and what you don't need to know.. basics, ect.. give it a shot, and make sure to post your channel ! I will def. watch them ! + subscribe =)

13. papa happy
    Date: Sun, Jan 16 2011 03:21:29

Thank you to everyone , I'm gonig to put everything in this video, and I really like eso idea... I know when I started I thought how hard can it be ? Lol little did I know .... I'm going to start writing everything down , and then make it soon thanks again:)

14. speedybugger1
    Date: Sun, Oct 2 2011 04:39:20

This is a great idea. Beginners like myself need to realise that there's no point complaining that you can't do the trick. Look at tutorials (-ones that are especially good are when they show exactly where the pen is supposed to go in slow motion with the other hand), and simply TRY the trick! You never know until you do it. Then you need to practise. Simple as that.

15. papa happy
    Date: Sun, Oct 2 2011 07:12:13

ok guys , im REALLY going to start doing this :D so be ready :D sorry it took sooo long, but ive been super bizzy :(

16. Kari
    Date: Sun, Oct 2 2011 08:20:31

Flush sonic rev tut and inverse also please. :p

17. Ed
    Date: Sun, Oct 2 2011 23:06:04

What I see lacking in tutorial videos in pen spinning are a majority of them don't actually go into detail... The average video is just basically the person doing the trick a few times, and then they expect you to understand straight away. That just isn't the case for a lot of new spinners... The person makes it look easy and so you think, oh, it won't take long to learn. In reality, it takes a lot of practice, whatever trick it may be. So yeah, stress out, if you're gonna do a tutorial video on whatever trick, that it takes practice, never expect to get it straight away, and that once you've put in all that effort, you can do it. Another thing is the camera angles. It's not a major issue, but I think the best angle is straight on - I mean, spinners are looking at their pens face on when they're trying to learn the trick, not from the side :S Anyway good luck =]

18. papa happy
    Date: Thu, Dec 1 2011 07:41:39

ive been writing things down, and when i get home from work its on :D thanks for all you advice:D i get home in 2 weeks from now, and then ill be filming ....... stay tooned :D

19. Panton
    Date: Fri, Dec 2 2011 20:09:56

Okay nice that you are making a video here are some pointers or tips i guess. :3 *Order of learning tricks *Diffrent angles as pointed out *Beginner friendly mods *Hand care *Penspinning wiki quotes *Slowmotion replay of the trick youre teaching *Links to diffrent tutorials *Regular posting intervales (so post a video each week or so dont post randomly) Thats all i can think of right now and good luck and please post your youtube channle link so i can watch it (i need some good new tutorials since im noobish :3)