UPSB v4

General Discussion / Advices and Support for UPSB spinners @ WT11

1. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Jan 9 2011 23:32:56

Use this thread to cheer and give tips to the UPSB representatives for WT11. Let's do our best to help them get as far as possible! --------- @i.suk You have been trying hard to improve your style and linkages. If you can combine the best of both world: power tricks techniques with stylish linkages, you will score big points in almost every category. The challenge is how to use power tricks effectively within the context of a stylish, linkage-based combo.

2. Vic
    Date: Sun, Jan 9 2011 23:40:33

Well, i hope i dont get knocked out for naturally having big fingers. lol Would changing my background really make a big difference in terms of judging?

3. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Jan 9 2011 23:45:25

possibly 0.5 pts from maybe 1 or 2 communities? it's minor but still something I guess.

4. TheAafg
    Date: Sun, Jan 9 2011 23:47:20

best of luck to all of you guys ^^

5. OG
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 00:07:55

YEEAAA LET'S DO THIS GL GUYS

6. medacyber
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 00:29:05

good luck u guys make us proud lol :)

7. Pen Ninja
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 00:50:30

no idea wtf ur on about but i guess ill clean up the off screen part of my "room"... which is actually the study :P you may be thinking my old room... where i would have shit on thew floor... dont live there any more... now ive got 3 or 4 pens on the desk in the bg and sometimes a water bottle :D but seriously, structure is one of the things im working on... my WT combos wont be nearly as fs as my other, cheers zombo EDIT: just saw 1:55 of this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8hoSrZv8LA i see what u mean :D we wont be seeing that room at all tho

8. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 00:52:19

just sometimes you had blank sheets of papers, keyboard and bottles laying around, it doesn't look really clean

9. Pen Ninja
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 01:12:16

oh i see, blank shee of paper was so the pen would show up... it was pretty much invisible on the desk colour and my usual black keyboard needs to go somewhere... i plan to still use the black sheets, makes my white pen show, should i put the keyboard under them? drink bottles i can get rid of easy

10. neoknux_009
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 01:13:46

im pretty much agreeing with everything zombo has said. @Penja youve grown up so fast D; . Always keep at least a couple of your original links in there, its part of the magic of your combos. Difficulty wise you wont have a problem.

11. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 01:27:31

Pen Ninja wrote: oh i see, blank shee of paper was so the pen would show up... it was pretty much invisible on the desk colour and my usual black keyboard needs to go somewhere... i plan to still use the black sheets, makes my white pen show, should i put the keyboard under them? drink bottles i can get rid of easy
    if you're more comfortable spinning with dark pens, then by all means, do whatever is necessary to make sure you keep spinning dark pens. the color of the pen does affect to some degree the appearance of your spinning. if you like dark pens, then yeah you need a white background. that's where the blank sheets come in. the problem in your setup is that we clearly see there's a sheet of paper on your table. it looks like you have cut a hole in your table and its jarring. white sheets only work if you can cover the whole table and give the illusion that the table is in fact white. in your case your camera is pulled really far back and we see the edge of the table, so it will be hard to reproduce...

12. Vic
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 01:31:23

neoknux_009 wrote: personally i think the green cloth is already "part" of your spinning. It wont be the same anymore without that green cloth D;
    Thats one the main reasons why i wont change it. lol People see the green and know exactly who it is. Im not worried about trying to please 1 or 2 communities for a point. There are more people who like the green than people who dont like it.

13. AwonW
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 01:34:12

Vic wrote: Thats one the main reasons why i wont change it. lol People see the green and know exactly who it is. Im not worried about trying to please 1 or 2 communities for a point. There are more people who like the green than people who dont like it.
    You should change it just to see what it looks like. If you're unhappy with it you can always change it back, but there's a chance that your spinning will look a lot better with a different color.

14. walrus
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 01:34:33

the best backround is wood. both light and dark pens show up on it, IMO

15. SuiXidaL
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 01:49:04

@Pen Ninja SPAM THOSE BAKS BRO ! :thumb:

16. poisoned
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 03:36:16

I agree neoknux, keep the green.

17. Pen Ninja
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 04:30:12

Zombo wrote: white sheets only work if you can cover the whole table
    can do

18. papa happy
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 05:20:41

im rooting for all of you ! and i dont have enough experience to tell you what you should do...... sooooo just rock the fuck out of your pens, and show those other boards why upsb is the best :D gl guys !! p.s @Vic i love the green sheet :p

19. JC
    Date: Mon, Jan 10 2011 07:53:32

@Vic Really don't know what to say to you! haha, take that as a good thingg. In the past you lacked some creative linkages and was mostly power like Peem, but you overcame that obstacle already and have such awesome linkages. I don't think your finger size is an issue at all-- makes your combo look strong! ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AND TO EVERYONE!! Just want to remind you that before you film you pay attention tooooo...: 1. Keeping the desks clean 2. Staying centered 3. Don't go off screen If you have any questions, ask me or Zombo, but aside from thatttt... GOOD LUCK EVERYONEEE! YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING, AND YOU'LL DO AMAZING IN THIS WT!! :D

20. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Jan 11 2011 03:59:30

updated with advice for i.suk

21. JC
    Date: Tue, Jan 11 2011 04:17:10

@i.suk Yeah so I just wanted to kinda repeat what Zombo said... sorta... you can do a lot of stuff ranging from power tricks to nice linkages, etc... but what is the difficult part I think is combining it together [COLOR="red"]effectively[/COLOR] in a combo that is <25 seconds. Yep, just work on finding ways to make an effective combo. You can show that you can do a lot of stuff, but many times, you would take a combo to demonstrate power tricks.. or take a combo to demonstrate linkages... or take another combo to demonstrate fingerless stuff. Try finding a way to make all that come together nicely in one combo.

22. Twine
    Date: Tue, Jan 11 2011 09:27:07

@AwonW No offence but I think you are the weakest spinner on UPSB's WT list but you have so much potential. I want to see you really highlight the cool little things in your combos because I think that will really help. Good luck man :)

23. Krypton
    Date: Tue, Jan 11 2011 12:28:46

Zombo wrote: @Vic You are the most complete spinner UPSB has to offer. The main complaints about you seem to be about presentation. Some don't like your green tablecloth. Others don't like your big fingers which make your spinning look a bit "brutish". I don't really know how you can fix that in any way, so just keep rocking dude!
    Wow, why the dislike for muscular hands? Vic's fingers always give the impression of strong fingers from loads of practise and agility, which is a contradicting yet pleasant combination in his combos. Anyways, being one of UPSB, I wish everyone the best of luck and make us UPSB boys (and gals) proud!

24. hoiboy
    Date: Tue, Jan 11 2011 21:47:45

I don't think I've ever seen fingers get "buffer" from PS. @AwonW: don't lose

25. i.suk
    Date: Wed, Jan 12 2011 02:26:13

hoiboy wrote: don't lose
    for spinners who are in an international tournament (i.e. WT or WC) for the first time, it is already a win to be invited/selected ^^

26. Pen Ninja
    Date: Wed, Jan 12 2011 05:18:01

well said

27. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Jan 16 2011 02:28:15

use this thread to discuss how our spinners can perform well in their group @Pen Ninja You will have to beat fff or Joey here I think.

28. AoD1
    Date: Sun, Jan 16 2011 02:30:39

@Baaron get more difficulty @eriror good luck and lets hope its Eriror VS vic in the final round @jamie you should be good for the most part but get a good angle and stick with it