UPSB v4

Fundamental Tricks / Fundamentals FAQ

1. strat1227
    Date: Tue, Jun 8 2010 17:11:03

This thread will compile the most often-asked questions of newcomers pertaining to the Fundamentals, making it easy to point noobies in the right direction instead of having to explain things many times. [SIZE="4"]What are the Fundamentals?[/size] The Fundamentals consist of 3 Tricks and 1 simple Combo. The 3 Fundamental Tricks are:

The Fundamental Combo is: The Fundamental tricks also have articles in the UPSB Wiki. The Fundemental trick articles can be seen here, while the Fingerpass article is here [SIZE="4"]Why are they Fundamentals?[/size] The UPSB Wiki has a brief explanation here. For a discussion thread, please read: What are the Fundamentals? Why?, for discussion on this topic. [SIZE="4"]Is that all of the Fundamentals?[/size] No, each Fundamental has a Reverse. This just means that the pen moves in the opposite direction as the Normal version. The Reverses are: Thumbaround also has fingerless variations, where hand motion pushes the pen instead of a finger: [SIZE="4"]Why is Fingerpass (a combo) a Fundamental?[/size] That question is answered in the UCPSB thread: Why is Fingerpass a Fundamental?. This thread also includes discussion on the merits of Fundamentals in general. [SIZE="4"]What are these "Inverses" I keep hearing about?[/size] Any trick that travels along the side of one or more fingers has an Inverse. An Inverse trick has the same motion as the Normal version of a trick, but travels along the opposite side of the finger(s). Inverse Sonic is discussed in the "Advanced Tricks" forum, since it is considered an advanced variation of Sonic. The UPSB Wiki article for Sonic also has information on the Inverse variations. [SIZE="4"]What does "12, 34, T1, etc..." mean?[/size] Those are notations for the fingers used in a trick... T= Thumb 1=Index finger 2=Middle finger 3=Ring finger 4=Pinky finger Usually, finger notations come in pairs, each pair signifies which two fingers the pen is held between. For example: a trick such as "Sonic 34-23" is a Sonic Normal that starts between the Ring(3) and Pinky(4) fingers, and ends between the Middle(2) and Ring(3) fingers. [SIZE="4"]Are there any videos of the Fundamentals? I learn better with videos.[/size] Yes, there are many videos on youtube, or in the appropriate thread with tutorials on how to learn the fundamentals! [SIZE="4"]Is Infinity a Fundamental?[/size] No. Besides the relative complexity of that combo (3 tricks: Wiper Reverse, Pass Normal & Pass Reverse), Infinity has never officially been deemed a Fundamental. While it may be easier for some to learn than a few of the Fundamentals, the tricks involved in this combo are usually not thought to give as useful a base to a new user in terms of finger strength and agility. While the Wiper Reverse movement of the pen and the accompanying work of the fingers involved are different than any of the other movements of the Fundamentals, Wiper Normal and Wiper Reverse do not belong to a wide family of tricks, as are the Fundamentals. [SIZE="4"]I've learned..., what do I do now?[/size] It's all up to you what you want to learn from this point. The thread What should I do next? has some ideas for you. There is also more information about all of the Fundamentals within the UPSB Wiki. Use the search box in the sidebar to search for specific tricks/combos/concepts/etc... or start in the Fundamentals article and move on from there.

2. 2Morrow
    Date: Thu, Mar 1 2012 04:19:05

i can do a shadow but i cant do a charge! it is sooooo dang hard

3. Karrot
    Date: Thu, Mar 1 2012 22:09:59

2Morrow wrote: i can do a shadow but i cant do a charge! it is sooooo dang hard
    charge? not that hard. just takes practice

4. Zelphus
    Date: Sun, Oct 21 2012 22:29:47

Thx this is really helpful!!

5. andybarbara
    Date: Wed, Aug 28 2013 09:16:14

How to do basic fundamental pen spinning tricks?

6. ChainBreak
    Date: Wed, Aug 28 2013 11:26:52

http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=33

7. Vixuhs
    Date: Mon, Jan 20 2014 00:08:16

Thx ;D

8. xiayuba
    Date: Thu, Nov 27 2014 08:15:05

A good idea you provide!