UPSB v4

Presentation / Standard pens more impressive?

1. scout
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 01:04:55

Whenever I spin in front of friends or in a crowd, I always use either a single sided mod like an mx, or a standard pen, because I feel like if I use some kinda super heavy double sided mod they'll go like "OMG the only reason he's good is because he uses a suuper long noobish stick to spin", so to impress I just use an mx or some standard pen. Any of you guys feel this way? Is using a standard pen or simple mod more impressive? Hopefully this is the right subforum for this talk.

2. Sc00t
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 01:10:31

scout wrote: Whenever I spin in front of friends or in a crowd, I always use either a single sided mod like an mx, or a standard pen, because I feel like if I use some kinda super heavy double sided mod they'll go like "OMG the only reason he's good is because he uses a suuper long noobish stick to spin", so to impress I just use an mx or some standard pen. Any of you guys feel this way? Is using a standard pen or simple mod more impressive? Hopefully this is the right subforum for this talk.
    i ask them to do it with the pen mod if its 'all in the pen' and they'll either deny it, try to steal it, or fail miserably attemtping to perform a thumbaround by akwardly twisting their entire arm around the pen [wtf? that looks nothing like how a thumbaround works] then i sometimes have to teach them because they get so determined [its adorable..] to learn thumbaround for 15 minutes and when they finally get it i take the pen away while they're in shock and awe at their first TA... go figure of course i have no pen spinning friends. if i did i wouldnt hide what mod i use, i like heavy mods and thats a fact. nothing "noob" about its just how you spin besides all my double sided mods are made to write [even my kt] so i just say its a fancy pen i got at a pharmacy, they sell all kinds of crazy/cool stuff at the pharmacy's here

3. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 01:29:07

I think sometimes you get mixed reactions some people are more interested in the mod than the spinning, they'll be like ooo but want to see the pen, not you spin it :p Other times people don't even see a difference (all depending on context and what you're spinning of course) But it can be a good or a bad thing.

4. Sc00t
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 01:34:24

shoeman6 wrote: I think sometimes you get mixed reactions some people are more interested in the mod than the spinning, they'll be like ooo but want to see the pen, not you spin it :p Other times people don't even see a difference (all depending on context and what you're spinning of course) But it can be a good or a bad thing.
    tbh before i became a pen spinner i looked at pen spinning much the way i do now, except i notice and identify all the individual tricks and linkages and are sometimes more impressed by it.. even now ill sometimes just defocus my eyes and enjoy the simple beauty of it who is more interested in the pens than the spinning? never seen that where im from. people just say "do it again" or "is this how you do it? *drop*"

5. Bam!
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 02:24:12

I'm going with no way 1. standard pens have no special "spinning effect" unlike busters etc. 2. no hai tua and other powertricks. It's like you want to impress people with driving fast by using a 6 wheeler truck. that's kinda not acceptable. of course you'd go with the ferrari, for dare devil speed. right?

6. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 03:19:02

Actually... pen mods look cool and provide kind of more personalization and easier spinning, but you do get oh it's weighted and stuff people thinking it's the pen not you. I think it's good to be able to spin standard pens, because it really is more impressive, and more practical, for instance a penspinner will probably be impressed by someone doing advanced tricks with a bic pen, while a non-spinner might not appreciate it as much, they'll probably appreciate spinning more if you can hand over your mod and spin any old pen as well.

7. M@V3R1CK
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 03:28:10

I'm a noob so most people are impressed with the mod I'm spinning (extended bictory) but sometimes people will think my continuous thumb around is pretty cool.

8. scout
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 04:24:52

I'm kinda seeing (not shoeman) people who are not really getting the topic. I mean, do you guys think that simple pens will make people be more wow instead of using a double sided mod and them thinking that does all the work because it's evenly balanced and heavy? Not saying double sided mods are bad, just saying simpler mods attract more crowds. Maybe that explains it better. :/

9. Sc00t
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 04:39:40

scout wrote: I'm kinda seeing (not shoeman) people who are not really getting the topic. I mean, do you guys think that simple pens will make people be more wow instead of using a double sided mod and them thinking that does all the work because it's evenly balanced and heavy? Not saying double sided mods are bad, just saying simpler mods attract more crowds. Maybe that explains it better. :/
    if u spin better with double sided mod then use it

10. casual
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 04:49:04

Spin for yourself, not for others. Spin with what wows you the most. And anyways... it's not hard to impress people who don't know anything about spinning... they think a ta release looks more impressive than cont. midbak 1.5's anyways. :P So at the end, it shouldn't matter what pen you use.

11. Bam!
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 05:32:10

Just stop penspining. that's all. Don't show them anything. Just throw that dr kt in the garbage can and study. :bd

12. Sc00t
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 06:07:28

Bam! wrote: Just stop penspining. that's all. Don't show them anything. Just throw that dr kt in the garbage can and study. :bd
    lol

13. Awesome
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 06:15:37

I think spinning is impressive cuz its a manipulation with an everyday object that people have seen and used virtually all their lives, using a stock pen emphasizes this. its not like non spinners know the differences between tricks or how much its limiting your repertoire.

14. AwonW
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 06:42:34

Stare wrote: who is more interested in the pens than the spinning? never seen that where im from. people just say "do it again" or "is this how you do it? *drop*"
    In my experience, a lot of people are. You might as well spin a normal looking pen while showing non-psers since they're not going to be able to tell the difference between your skill with a light mod and a heavier one. That way you make sure the focus is on the manipulation.

15. Soren
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 10:41:28

i dont really think theres a difference, because your still showing off your amazing tricks either way

16. time
    Date: Wed, Dec 29 2010 23:10:17

ppl might think u can only spin with those mods

17. drgripable
    Date: Fri, Jan 7 2011 20:43:26

well, for me, it does not really matter, if you are using a a dc like a buster or kt, and they say ur only good b/c of the pen, let them try. Then explain its just like swimsuits. If you have a really good suit, great for you, it's better to have a good suit, but not necessary. :)

18. Dudak
    Date: Sat, Jan 8 2011 05:27:17

Dude, my swimsuit is so much better than yours

19. drgripable
    Date: Sun, Jan 9 2011 01:08:10

LAWL! i used to swim, like i was not one of the really slow suckish ppl like u would probably think, i was pretty fast, then i quit. Thats what you gotta do as an asian with c's and b's...........but i didn't quit ps lawl

20. Knightpal
    Date: Fri, Jan 28 2011 17:39:22

Nah, spinning a standard pen can be impressive but mods add plenty more flare. Before I started psing every pen looked normal to me but once I started watching tutorials on it and seeing mods everything started looking smaller :P I think it depends to some people though. Overall mods are more appealing imo. If i see someone spinning a normal pencil like a buster I'd be amazed.

21. drgripable
    Date: Fri, Jan 28 2011 22:49:58

I totally disagree. Look at someone spinning an unmodded rsvp just for an example. Another person spins a buster. Both are of equal skill. The buster has a better spinning effect, yes, but when the audience notices....."THATS NOT A NORMAL FRICKIN PEN!!!!" "He is only better than the other guy because he has a special pen!" "What is that?" "If i had the special pen i would be able to learn those tricks in no time" So, no, it is not more impressive. Another example: Vic's power tricks with a bic video. MUCH more impressive than when he did the tricks with his personal emboss etc.

22. YETI
    Date: Tue, Apr 5 2011 18:41:05

I disagree the better double sided mods and stuff makes it look cooler when you spin. therefore, it's more appealling to the crowd if you spin with a cooler looking mod.