UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / The North Korea Situation

1. Tkal
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 23:51:13

I'm sure we've all been hearing about news about North Korea stirring up a commotion. Ever since the Korean war, there's always been some sort of scuffle building up between the two Koreas. There is one recent and significant case that comes to mind. That naval incident where a SK ship sank and then the resulting "exercises" conducted by the US and then China. There are heavy speculations that NK has weaponized nuclear material. How do you guys think this is going to develop? How do you think the world should deal with NK?

2. Mats
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 23:59:39

Well first of all, China and the USA are the world's two global superpowers and they are not happy with what N. Korea are doing. If North Korea were to use any kind of nuclear device, I would predict that a non-nuclear attack would follow, from China and the USA (possibly NATO too), that would completely destroy almost all of North Korea's infrastructure and military as well as a very strong attempt to take out the country of North Korea's leader and politicians. So I don't think anything major will ever happen. It's much like a mini cold war - There are manuveurs from both sides, but no full blown war.

3. thig
    Date: Wed, Dec 15 2010 00:53:23

China did not participate in the naval exercises. It criticized the US and South Korea for conducting them. Heavy speculation? North Korea joined the nuclear club in October 2006. It has conducted at least two atomic bomb tests. China would never invade North Korea. There are US troops in South Korea. China doesn't want US troops at its border. Iraq had oil and no China. North Korea has China and no oil. The US doesn't care.

4. tylt
    Date: Wed, Dec 15 2010 04:43:29

It's all a whole lot of speculation but I agree with the notion that China will not become involved in the conflict unless something very dire happens i.e. a mass invasion of the north into the south, or vica versa. Sure North Korea has conducted nuclear tests but I do not think that they are the ones who actually enriched the uranium. The process for enriching uranium is so complicated and costly that I do not think that North Korea could even do it. Hell the country can even afford to feed all of its people or provide for them in the proper manner. Now I know that the same statement could be said of the United States but these people "worship" a dictator like their god. If Kim Jong Ill truly wanted to start a war I think that it would have happened by now.

5. nateiskewl
    Date: Wed, Dec 15 2010 05:20:05

tylt wrote: It's all a whole lot of speculation but I agree with the notion that China will not become involved in the conflict unless something very dire happens i.e. a mass invasion of the north into the south, or vica versa. Sure North Korea has conducted nuclear tests but I do not think that they are the ones who actually enriched the uranium. The process for enriching uranium is so complicated and costly that I do not think that North Korea could even do it. Hell the country can even afford to feed all of its people or provide for them in the proper manner. Now I know that the same statement could be said of the United States but these people "worship" a dictator like their god. [B]If Kim Jong Ill truly wanted to start a war I think that it would have happened by now.[/B]
    I'd like to talk about this a little. We, as westerners, only get to see the glorious, powerful facade of the North Korean military. In reality, they're just malnourished, impoverished people with uniforms. The only aspect of significance in North Korea's military is their nuclear arsenal, which is much scarier than soldiers and guns. Still, action against North Korea would likely cause death and chaos worldwide, so that exactly isn't an option.

6. hoiboy
    Date: Wed, Dec 15 2010 05:22:43

IMO, I don't think China would back NK militarily if South Korea/US invaded North Korea.

7. nateiskewl
    Date: Wed, Dec 15 2010 05:24:12

hoiboy wrote: IMO, I don't think China would back NK militarily if South Korea/US invaded North Korea.
    That's a tough call. China has big commercial interests with the US, but they share a border with North Korea and have a common past.

8. SyntaxError
    Date: Wed, Dec 15 2010 05:42:19

I was told that NK and China have been good friends in the past. Dunno if its true, don't want a world war 3 though, US would be in so much debt.

9. CaptainGolfBall
    Date: Wed, Dec 15 2010 06:01:35

SyntaxError wrote: I was told that NK and China have been good friends in the past. Dunno if its true, don't want a world war 3 though, US would be in so much debt.
    ain't that the truth

10. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Dec 15 2010 15:49:50

china and north korea are both communist states so they are brothers example: north korea hires chinese supporters at the World Cup in south africa.

11. Tkal
    Date: Wed, Dec 15 2010 16:09:03

thig wrote: China did not participate in the naval exercises. It criticized the US and South Korea for conducting them. Heavy speculation? North Korea joined the nuclear club in October 2006. It has conducted at least two atomic bomb tests. China would never invade North Korea. There are US troops in South Korea. China doesn't want US troops at its border. Iraq had oil and no China. North Korea has China and no oil. The US doesn't care.
    That's not necessarily true The US seems to be conducting its role has the self proclaimed "police" of the world, supporting SK and showing off their military might to try and scare NK. And as for China NK relations, China is probably the closest thing NK has to an ally right now. China gave huge support to NK during the Korean war and there hasn't been much to sour relations between the countries (although China is also getting a little edgy with how NK is behaving). Also, it's interesting that while people see NK as incredibly frightening, or nothing but a nation of malnourished peasants, I've known people who have traveled there as tourists and remarked that while people have a lot less by comparison to us, they're still "happy". It might be because of the state run media and super tight censorship that goes on, but on the whole, they conduct their lives with the whole "ignorance is bliss" vibe, carrying out their daily routines without any worry.

12. nateiskewl
    Date: Thu, Dec 16 2010 01:58:50

Zombo wrote: china and north korea are both communist states so they are brothers example: north korea hires chinese supporters at the World Cup in south africa.
    China is hardly a communist state. The only significant vestige of communism is the single-party system.

13. hoiboy
    Date: Thu, Dec 16 2010 02:04:03

No, but China is rather close to being a totalitarian state by today's standards.

14. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Dec 16 2010 03:28:36

nateiskewl wrote: China is hardly a communist state. The only significant vestige of communism is the single-party system.
    it doesnt matter what they are in reality, the gov considers itself a communist state and therefore has close ties with other communist regimes such as Cuba and North Korea.

15. SPRiNGFiELD
    Date: Thu, Dec 16 2010 04:15:55

we'll see WW3

16. Hidekyo
    Date: Sat, Dec 18 2010 17:03:28

Even tho china is a communist country it is still very different from the other major communist countries like north korea and cuba. If we let nucelear war destroy our planet its just a waiste cuz we are using masive war wepons for personal gain not much for destroying the world.

17. Tkal
    Date: Sat, Dec 18 2010 17:09:05

To be honest, we'll probably destroy the world by environmental factors before nukes get used.

18. Biji
    Date: Sat, Dec 18 2010 17:42:30

Obviously China doesn't feel like having nukes going off right next to it, much less in it's face. I say it won't be long before NK is all on it's own

19. davidguy
    Date: Sat, Dec 18 2010 18:14:08

honestly we can only wait and see how things go

20. JLSpinY
    Date: Sat, Dec 18 2010 18:22:18

I doubt much will happen. If the DPRK were to use a nuke on SK they would bombed to death by the US and co, so it would end pretty quickly. There is no way that WW3 could come out of this.

21. Tkal
    Date: Mon, Dec 20 2010 06:49:25

An interesting development: Artillery Test

22. neXus
    Date: Mon, Dec 20 2010 20:19:25

Empty threats. Propaganda for the own country. Intimidation for the others.

23. Biji
    Date: Mon, Dec 20 2010 20:30:28

I don't think anyone would want to risk mutually assured destruction to see if they're bluffing

24. Kirby
    Date: Sat, Feb 12 2011 05:41:42

world will end in 200> years. Technology will get in the hands of one stupid BAMF, and the world will end with some super mega bomb nuke developed in the next 100 years.

25. n00b
    Date: Tue, Feb 15 2011 03:25:16

Kirby wrote: world will end in 200> years. Technology will get in the hands of one stupid BAMF, and the world will end with some super mega bomb nuke developed in the next 100 years.
    Nintendo's best spinner.

26. Kirby
    Date: Tue, Feb 15 2011 04:52:23

Liek a boss