UPSB v4

Pens & Mods / [1.1][Collapsible Mod Project] Collapsable mod

1. Mats
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 01:06:53

I thought of this before. It would allow for great magic tricks and other effects. I'm thinking a pen that can somehow 'collapse' into itself, so say a 20cm pen becomes only 3-4cm big. Any ideas on how one could be made?

2. strat1227
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 01:10:59

If it can be broken down into parts that are held together with a string running through the interior it could be broken down, dunno about "collapsed" though the only other thing that comes to mind is those light saber toys that slide in and out, but then it'd be bigger on one side than the other, unless it extended 2 ways from the center

3. hoiboy
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 01:57:38

Guitrum's already done this http://www.upsb.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=14325 So has Baaron http://baaaaaaaron.blogspot.com/

4. Mats
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 02:13:27

Do you understand the word 'collapsable'?

5. strat1227
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 02:27:56

collapsible* lol I think he was referring to my post where I talked about one being broken down into multiple peices being hostile towards people trying to help your project isn't a very smart idea btw

6. Mats
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 02:39:10

Classic spelling error there.

7. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 02:52:40

If it was a telescoping mechanism you'd have a taper, in either direction this wouldn't be idea for spinning, if you had something inverse like >-< (like you said strat) or the zebra telescoping mod, only with more stages you could get a compact and spinnable mod that was collapsible. Also the string idea has been used before and it works as well, this would be more of a folding method. If you made some sort of wire framed mod or something with a sort of frame structure you could have it literally collapse flat or to the side or anything really, while mainting some form while spinning (with a cloth outer layer?) sort of like accordion folded or a Chinese lantern.

8. hoiboy
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 04:27:49

@Mats: I posted the wrong link, but I'm pretty sure Guitrum had some collapsible mod tutorial somewhere.

9. iMatt
    Date: Sat, Dec 18 2010 16:25:23

I've already tried/looked into this years ago before the ZT mod even existed. K4S did as well at the time. The problem with this is the tapering. Think of it like an remote control antenna. The base is always going to be heavier than the rest of the antenna (unless you filled each section with the perfect amount of substance to balance it) Even then it's going to be difficult to spin. It'd be like spinning an extended ballsign without a fitting cap on the other end. Cool concept, practically it's pretty useless.

10. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Dec 18 2010 17:10:49

what if you made the two endpoints of the pen the "bases" of your antenna? like [codebox] __ __ __ __ ______ ______ __ __ __ __[/codebox]

11. Mats
    Date: Sat, Dec 18 2010 17:31:43

Zombo wrote: what if you made the two endpoints of the pen the "bases" of your antenna?
    Zombo just cracked it!

12. iMatt
    Date: Sat, Dec 18 2010 23:55:41

Zombo wrote: what if you made the two endpoints of the pen the "bases" of your antenna? like [codebox] __ __ __ __ ______ ______ __ __ __ __[/codebox]
    I've tried that before honestly. Works ok, but the problem is the barrel change as it tapers downward toward the center. It makes for a very uncomfortable spinning experience. Ex: S777 mx. Where the G1 body meets the Lavable cap. It may not be as big a gap, but it'll still feel out of place let alone in 2-3 different sections.

13. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Dec 19 2010 02:30:31

How about a wireframe design where the internal structure is collabsible into a sort of ring and is hollow/not solid, but maybe like a spring with a little clip to keep it together and a cloth or some sort of covering over it to make it spinnable