UPSB v4

General Discussion / Looking to hire Pen Spinner

1. Joe
    Date: Thu, Dec 9 2010 22:07:39

Hi - I am making a small budget music video and would be very interested in featuring someone doing pen spinning (I think this is very cool). I will be shooting the video the first week of January in Los Angeles, so need to be in the LA area (probably shooting Sat. Jan 8). Basically the video will highlight some different, cool, unusual talents and I would really like this to be one of them. I can pay $100. If you are under 18, it is fine as long as your parent or guardian comes with you and signs a waiver that it is ok. If you are interested, please send me a link to a video of your pen spinning to [email][email protected][/email]. It would be nice if I could also see your face (just a quick smile in video), but if your face is not in the video, that's fine. If you have any questions, let me know... Thanks! Joe

2. Escorpio123
    Date: Thu, Dec 9 2010 22:19:10

$100 dollars for 1 day to shoot?. Are you a singer? What part of LA? I am 9 miles away, near.

3. fang
    Date: Thu, Dec 9 2010 22:34:02

I think it cost for me more than 100$ to come even to you! :P [edit] wait a minute, your name is Joe, and you do a small budget video, are you "the MysteryGuitarMan"?? :P

4. Frip
    Date: Thu, Dec 9 2010 23:05:35

Why do these kind of things always happen in LA or NYC? :dunno: Show some love for colorado :|

5. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Dec 9 2010 23:19:17

44 Keys 44Keys is the film and web design company of Joe Wein, established in 1998. Joe is a filmmaker, designer, and interface programmer who frequently pulls together teams of incredibly talented people for larger projects. Joe is regularly hired out by different marketing companies to direct the Internet portion of a marketing campaign. This is something he takes great pleasure in, as it gives him the opportunity to work with many different companies and wonderfully innovative people on a variety of projects. As a filmmaker, Joe is the writer of the feature comedy "Scorched," starring Woody Harrelson, John Cleese, Alicia Silverstone, and Rachael Leigh Cook. He was listed in Variety Magazine as a "Top Ten Screenwriter to Watch" and has worked on many studio projects. His directorial debut is the short comedy "Goldfish." Goldfish won him the Grand Jury Award and the Audience Award at Gen Art, the Audience Award at The Austin Film Festival, Best Comedy Short in the Savannah Film Festival, and many others. It was an official selection of the Tribeca Film Fetival, Gen Art, Palm Springs Film Festival, Santa Barbara Film Festival, and over 50 more. His Internet projects really launched when he designed and built the interface for America True, a sailboat racing for the America's Cup in 2000. He went on to build many different websites for 20th Century Fox, including various DVDs, foxhome.com and the Fox Store. He built most of the sites for Pallotta TeamWorks, including the AIDSRides website which generated over $10 million in online registrations it's first year. More recent clients like Downy and Dickies merge his passion for film and new media as video increasingly becomes a more active part of the web. By the way, 44 keys is the number of keys on the first commercially successful typewriter. It established the QWERTY layout and is the precedent for the modern computer keyboard - the thing he stares at all day.
    Taken from the site for a little bit more information. I'm sure people will be interested in participating. You can also just go to his website and see some of his films and more info.

6. spinford
    Date: Thu, Dec 9 2010 23:21:30

Ill have to see. I really wanna go

7. Joe
    Date: Thu, Dec 9 2010 23:49:12

Hi all - Thanks so much for the interest! I don't know who the mysteryguitarman is, but shoeman has the correct info and you can learn more about me and my company at www.44keys.com. I'm not the musician, but will be making the video. Yes, it will be one day (less than that, will be doing other stuff that day too), I am planning on a saturday and will be able to give you a timeframe ahead of time. It will probably be in hollywood area, the exact location is between a couple places still. It's going to be a really cool video! If you are interested, please send me a link of you pen spinning. The stuff I have looked at from this forum is really incredible. Thank you!!!

8. neix
    Date: Thu, Dec 9 2010 23:58:28

nice i wonder who will take this haha, 100 dsnt seem like a lot but its something!

9. JackyMacky
    Date: Fri, Dec 10 2010 00:03:28

oooooo. this looks interesting! i might consider this not for the money, just for fame. LOL

10. Escorpio123
    Date: Fri, Dec 10 2010 02:00:53

well, let's see, I can easily go to Hollywood, $100 is a little low but it is interesting to be in a video spinning :). In the Volkswagen commercial, they were paying $1700 per day o.0 and it was 2 days. EDIT: READ WELL THIS POST <_<

11. Mats
    Date: Fri, Dec 10 2010 02:03:29

Volkswagen are a huge company. Huge companies can pay out ridiculous sums. Work like this is very variable in terms of income you get and it does often depend on how much money the other party has.

12. tylt
    Date: Fri, Dec 10 2010 02:05:43

Escorpio123 wrote: well, let's see, I can easily go to Hollywood, $100 is a little low but it is interesting to be in a video spinning :). In the Volkswagen commercial, they were paying $1700 per day o.0 and it was 2 days.
    Jeez man be happy that you have the opportunity to be paid to do what you love to do. If 100 dollars isn't enough for half a days work, you must be crazy. Anyways I wish I lived in So-Cal sometimes its lonely being a Nor-Cal boy. Meh have fun with the shooting joe.

13. TurbulentTurtle
    Date: Fri, Dec 10 2010 03:54:48

Next week on UPSB: Hey where'd (insert member) go? He hasn't posted for a few days now.

14. KTrinh93
    Date: Fri, Dec 10 2010 03:59:17

tylt wrote: Jeez man be happy that you have the opportunity to be paid to do what you love to do. If 100 dollars isn't enough for half a days work, you must be crazy. Anyways I wish I lived in So-Cal sometimes its lonely being a Nor-Cal boy. Meh have fun with the shooting joe.
    Psht try living on the east coast where nothing ever happens.. especially where I live.. I live in Amish country ._.

15. strat1227
    Date: Fri, Dec 10 2010 05:03:38

lol jesus christ, i'm 21 and i'd do backflips for the opportunity to make 100 dollars in 3 hours, these little kids are so overprivelaged lol

16. SJ
    Date: Fri, Dec 10 2010 05:14:23

im interested :) if its on saturday, i could probably make it, unless something major comes up not sure what the prereq is but ill try haha im sure others are more qualified than i am tho xD

17. tacohead12
    Date: Fri, Dec 10 2010 05:16:22

Ill gladly take the opportunity if the schedule lines up. I don't know why people are complaining about money, 100 bucks is plenty for me XD. I will probably be free on the specified date as well.

18. Escorpio123
    Date: Fri, Dec 10 2010 05:48:51

tylt wrote: Jeez man be happy that you have the opportunity to be paid to do what you love to do. If 100 dollars isn't enough for half a days work, you must be crazy.
    You got it all wrong, I am not complaining, I was just informing it :(. I said it would be fun to be in a video clip, :D That's all. I just commented something about the $100. Read well. <_<.

19. tacohead12
    Date: Fri, Dec 10 2010 07:23:38

You did say that the pay was "a little low" making it seem like you wanted more. And continuing on to mention how much more volkswagen paid doesn't really help either >_> It does seem like you are implying that you want more money. Should have just said it would be interesting and left it as that.

20. Vic
    Date: Fri, Dec 10 2010 16:01:07

Damn Im interested, but it takes over $100 just to drive there and back. :(

21. Escorpio123
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 08:22:31

tacohead12;41736]You did say that the pay was "a little low" making it seem like you wanted more. And continuing on to mention how much more volkswagen paid doesn't really help either >_> It does seem like you are implying that you want more money. Should have just said it would be interesting and left it as that.[/QUOTE] Now that I look at it, you are right. Ok then, I regret saying that then, it would be interesting to be in a video clip by itself, :D, but still, there are a lot of spinners around this Area. [QUOTE=Vic wrote: Damn Im interested, but it takes over $100 just to drive there and back. :(
    You got to live really far vic, wow, I never thought $100 would cost to get there, use BUS like me :D

22. JC
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 09:24:35

Escorpio123 wrote: You got to live really far vic, wow, I never thought $100 would cost to get there, use BUS like me :D
    I think Vic lives near sacramento? That's a pretty far distance from LA, and it wouldn't be worth it to get like maybe ~$20-30 after traveling ~6-8hrs each way... :X It's nice to see more people want to use pen spinning in their commercials/ads/etc... though. Too bad there's nothing in Boston =(

23. WhatsOfTheUp1
    Date: Sat, Dec 11 2010 15:32:42

I live an hour away from LA. Too bad my parents would never let me go xD. (I'm under 18)

24. Joe
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 23:03:11

Hi all - thanks so much for the interest and to those that submitted - very cool! Going to lock this up over the holiday week, so if you'd still like to submit, please do! And please know, I realize $100 isn't a fortune, this just doesn't have a budget like a car commercial would (I wish it did too...). But it will be something that will show you in a great light and could quite possibly get a lot of exposure. Thanks!!!

25. Mats
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 23:24:35

I think it's a fantastic oppurtunity and if I were in the area, I would snap it up in two seconds for sure. Looking forward to seeing the results! Any idea when the video will be released?

26. hoiboy
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 00:55:50

@JC: Vic lives in SLO area.

27. Dylan
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 01:05:58

Eh, someone needs to post the end video when he's done filming, of course thats only if we were able to do it legally. Wow, I'd jump to do it if there was a pay of 20$ xD It's so cool that people are recognizing penspinning, and not many people have the opportunity to be paid for a hobby they love doing.

28. NRG.Flow
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 05:05:16

Nooo I could D:! Cant wait to see final product though :O

29. mintypaladin
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 19:57:44

sweet...ill send a vid

30. TurbulentTurtle
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 20:31:25

Dylan wrote: Wow, I'd jump to do it if there was a pay of 20$ xD It's so cool that people are recognizing penspinning, and not many people have the opportunity to be paid for a hobby they love doing.
    I think most people wouldn't even mind if it was a non-paying gig. Just the chance to spin and showcase your talent and have it on TV would be enough.

31. Joe
    Date: Thu, Dec 23 2010 03:13:49

Hey guys - thanks a lot to those who sent me stuff, they're really great and I'll be picking one in the next few days. If you haven't sent a video and would still like to there's a couple days left! And yes, I will be sure to post the video here when it's done. The album releases early next year, so will post here as soon as I'm allowed to. Thanks very much!

32. Escorpio123
    Date: Tue, Dec 28 2010 01:24:51

Cool Joe, when r u going to choose the spinner? :)

33. Lastride29
    Date: Wed, Jan 12 2011 22:13:48

So who got it?

34. exclusive
    Date: Tue, Mar 1 2011 04:47:30

Escorpio123 wrote: Cool Joe, when r u going to choose the spinner? :)
    [video=youtube;C5nC1yoTh3M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nC1yoTh3M&feature=player_embedded[/video]

35. neoknux_009
    Date: Tue, Mar 1 2011 05:14:22

wow

36. chris
    Date: Tue, Mar 1 2011 05:51:38

wow.

37. MystikSun
    Date: Tue, Mar 1 2011 05:56:06

exclusive wrote:
    That's an amazing music video. Is it available anywhere?

38. Mike
    Date: Tue, Mar 1 2011 08:16:09

Who was spinning?

39. TheAafg
    Date: Tue, Mar 1 2011 22:06:23

Mike wrote: Who was spinning?
    escorpio123