UPSB v4

Off-topic / The piano

1. J A Z Z
    Date: Sat, Dec 4 2010 11:36:32

Anyone play piano?Im grade 10 now!

2. Mats
    Date: Sat, Dec 4 2010 16:48:20

Grade 10? How does your system work? In the UK, there are 8 grades (1-8), which are amateur qualifications, after which you can take a Diploma (professional pianist), LRSM (high level pianist) and FRSM (Fellow of the Royal School Of Music = Concert standard). No-one over here cares about any exams that are not taken with the ABRSM.

3. JLSpinY
    Date: Sat, Dec 4 2010 21:59:15

Yeah, what board do you take yor exams in? What grade are you Mats? (If you even take exams :p)

4. Mats
    Date: Sat, Dec 4 2010 22:02:48

I guess the answer is that I don't really take exams. I could tell what kind of stuff I play and then you can estimate my grade on your scale.

5. J A Z Z
    Date: Sun, Dec 5 2010 00:38:58

Sorry=) Im about concert standard now.. Ive been playing since i was 3 so yeah.... Anyway whats your favourite style of music?

6. Mats
    Date: Sun, Dec 5 2010 00:47:46

How old are you now? I'm very much a big Romantic fan - Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninoff and Alkan are my favourites. Especially their bigger pieces, Chopin's ballads, the études of all 4, piano concertos. I play other classical, Debussy, Schumann. Not really into playing jazz, though, I like to listen to a bit of jazz piano from time to time at a piano bar. ;) What kind of stuff are you playing?

7. J A Z Z
    Date: Sun, Dec 5 2010 02:15:30

Im around 16 so its like 13 years for me! I play 20th ceuntry stuff just cause it realaxes me more than classical and things...Blues are my thing too haha How long have u been practising?

8. Riley
    Date: Sun, Dec 5 2010 04:07:27

I've been playing for 3 years, and I just like to memorize modern songs by ear. The stuff that "sounds" impressive. :P

9. Sam
    Date: Sun, Dec 5 2010 04:10:51

Grade 8 ABRSM. Last Level ^.^ Been playing for 9 years. Favorite is Romantic> Chopin Classical Modern (Korean) Modern songs.

10. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Dec 5 2010 04:16:50

the music i play is different from the music I listen to I play mostly romantic stuff and new age stuff, also game stuff. my youtube channels: http://www.youtube.com/medsas http://www.youtube.com/welcometozombocom

11. J A Z Z
    Date: Sun, Dec 5 2010 04:56:35

Zombo wrote: the music i play is different from the music I listen to I play mostly romantic stuff and new age stuff, also game stuff. my youtube channels: http://www.youtube.com/medsas http://www.youtube.com/welcometozombocom
    Some comments on your performance is that remember to keep a curved finger and keep the rythm smooth lol And myself I like Chopin

12. Mats
    Date: Sun, Dec 5 2010 11:25:22

J A Z Z wrote: Im around 16 so its like 13 years for me! I play 20th ceuntry stuff just cause it realaxes me more than classical and things...Blues are my thing too haha How long have u been practising?
    A concert standard 16 year old? My teacher is one of the top pianists in the UK, but he said he didn't make concert standard until he was 22, one year after graduating from the Polish Conservatoire of Music, after beginning playing at age 4. He practiced and practices A LOT. And I'm on 9 years next month. It's easy to remember because I started playing on my 13th birthday! What kind of music are you listening to, Zombo? And why do you play different to what you listen to?

13. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Dec 5 2010 14:50:10

the music I listen to: [video=youtube;dOMIl3WjXc0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMIl3WjXc0[/video] the music I play: [video=youtube;ktjsye06gLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktjsye06gLs[/video]

14. TurbulentTurtle
    Date: Sun, Dec 5 2010 18:18:42

Everyone has such sexy hands.

15. J A Z Z
    Date: Tue, Dec 7 2010 08:23:16

Mats wrote: A concert standard 16 year old? My teacher is one of the top pianists in the UK, but he said he didn't make concert standard until he was 22, one year after graduating from the Polish Conservatoire of Music, after beginning playing at age 4. He practiced and practices A LOT. And I'm on 9 years next month. It's easy to remember because I started playing on my 13th birthday! What kind of music are you listening to, Zombo? And why do you play different to what you listen to?
    Asians are pretty pro.Im a really fast learner as i got my grade 5 and 6 in the same year.

16. Mats
    Date: Tue, Dec 7 2010 12:21:45

I'm very doubtful a 16 year old can be concert standard. Even the British young musician of the year from (last year I think now) was not concert standard on the piano. Do you have any idea what concert standard means?

17. RogerX
    Date: Tue, Dec 7 2010 14:17:48

I don't understand.

18. dengtao
    Date: Sun, Dec 19 2010 06:26:01

I guess the only way for Jazz to prove he is concert standard is to make a video! I've been playing the piano for 10 years, but I've never been ranked. When I took lessons and did competitions it was always classical music. I recently got some Yiruma books and started working on them. My favorite composers are Bach, Haydn, Beethoven, Mozart, Debussy, Lecuona, and Albeñiz. My favorite genre is classical Spanish, and in my opinion it is one of the most beautiful styles of piano music. Malagueña by Lecuona is breathtaking, especially since I used to live in Spain. I have a YT channel with some piano videos, but I have not posted much. To all of you who said they play the piano, it would be great to see some of your videos.

19. Mats
    Date: Sun, Dec 19 2010 14:11:53

Yiruma writes some beautiful music. <3 Why do I have none of his music? Think I might get one of his books today. :)

20. Tialys
    Date: Sun, Dec 19 2010 17:40:23

J A Z Z wrote: Anyone play piano?Im grade 10 now!
    Are you following the RCM syllabus?

21. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Dec 19 2010 18:30:11

@dengtao spanish classical is awesome, Joaquin Rodriguo is one of my favs, I also like lesser known ones like Roberto Gerhard, Leonardo Balada, Manuel de Falla, Xavier Montsalvatge, Joaquin Turina... Yiruma is ok, but most of his music sound the same.... I guess that's a problem for New Age in general. That's why I like video game music, it's so diverse.

22. dengtao
    Date: Mon, Dec 20 2010 21:13:38

@Zombo Ah, Turina is nice. I've played parts of The Circus Suite before, the first movement; Fanfare, for a competition. de Falla's Danza Ritual del Fuego is nice. I would agree. Some of Yiruma's songs are nice but a lot of it does sound the same. Final fantasy music is awesome. Any other good video game music? I don't play that many games anymore. John Williams is also my favorite modern composer. Isaac Albeñiz + John Williams His movie soundtracks are breathtaking. It's a shame he didn't compose the score of the later Harry Potter movies.

23. spinford
    Date: Mon, Dec 20 2010 21:49:20

the composers that appeal me most are romantic ones like chopin. I love contemperary composers like john rutter

24. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Dec 21 2010 00:01:05

@dengtao yes there are many video game music outside of FF. a lot of "piano collections" as well outside of FF such as Kingdom Hearts. http://vgmdb.net/ has everything listed my friend Tialys has a lot of stuff on his channel from games: http://www.youtube.com/tialys86

25. hoiboy
    Date: Tue, Dec 21 2010 04:26:47

@Fresh: He's talking about Grade 10, CM. In CM, there are 10 grades, equivalent to ABRSM 1-8, and then there's CM Panel, which is the equivalent of the dips in ABRSM. In California, people use both CM and ABRSM as testing standards. LSRM ftw! Now I mostly play Impressionist + Contemporary music.

26. AwonW
    Date: Tue, Dec 21 2010 04:43:58

hoiboy wrote: @Fresh: He's talking about Grade 10, CM. In CM, there are 10 grades, equivalent to ABRSM 1-8, and then there's CM Panel, which is the equivalent of the dips in ABRSM. In California, people use both CM and ABRSM as testing standards. LSRM ftw! Now I mostly play Impressionist + Contemporary music.
    :dunno:

27. Mats
    Date: Tue, Dec 21 2010 11:04:54

That would make grade 10 not even a professional qualification. The Diploma (or CM panel) would be the first professional qualifications. FRSM is concert standard level. He must have a long long way to go to be concert pianist!

28. spinford
    Date: Tue, Dec 21 2010 17:32:57

I already got my deploma for ATCL. Now my goal is to get ARCT and LTCL.

29. hoiboy
    Date: Tue, Dec 21 2010 19:16:09

I actually never realized the dips were pro-qualifications. It wasn't much different than testing the levels of ABRSM.

30. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Dec 21 2010 19:22:04

screw tests just play for fun play the pieces you want to play, not the ones you are told to play

31. zweebna
    Date: Tue, Dec 21 2010 19:47:44

Zombo wrote: screw tests just play for fun play the pieces you want to play, not the ones you are told to play
    yarly, I have no idea what you guys are talking about and I don't really care to.

32. Tialys
    Date: Wed, Dec 22 2010 02:31:21

Growing up, I took RCM Examinations. I'm not sure if the curriculum and requirements have changed since I took the exams. You can take theory, harmony, and history exams, all of which are written, but this is how I remember the practical exams: The grades range from 1-10, each one roughly taking 1 year assuming you practice daily and take lessons weekly. After grade 10 you can attempt the Performer's or Teacher's ARCT (Associate of The Royal Conservatory) exam, depending on your aspirations. To gain credit for a grade, recognized in the form of a certificate, you must demonstrate competence by passing examinatons. Passing a certain grade is not a prerequisite for attempting the one after it (I'm not sure about the ARCT) so you can skip grades if you're skilled enough. Although being autodidactic is theoretically possible, a teacher is a sine qua non, especially at younger ages, as he/she prepares you for exams and greatly accelerates your progress. The exams themselves consist of a component where you perform memorized pieces from a predetermined repertoire and a component where you play scales and arpeggios, identify chords by ear, sight-read, etc. It's like giving a recital except the sole audience member is an examiner who is evaluating your performance. In higher grades, the curriculum involves learning about 5-6 pieces (one piece from each time period and a study). I remember the repertoire being limited, and sometimes you have to practice pieces you don't enjoy. For a year! This, combined with constant pressure from my parents - who forced me to play piano from the very beginning (I somehow visualize other Asians nodding their heads in agreement) - to practice and excel, is what made me take a lengthy hiatus from piano. But even if I had wanted to play, I didn't even have access to a piano once I moved to university. I probably could have found one if I tried, but after finally breaking free of my 'obligation' to play the piano, it was the last thing I wanted to do. Much later on, I found playing with free will (nobody forcing me to play), no pressure (exams), and no boredom (preselected pieces) immensely more enjoyable. Admittedly, without the exams, I wouldn't be as skilled as I am today, but still... having fun is infinitely more important.

33. spinford
    Date: Mon, Dec 27 2010 20:42:53

I practice trying to be world class but eh I dont get my hopes too high

34. AwonW
    Date: Tue, Dec 28 2010 01:18:10

J A Z Z wrote: Anyone play piano?Im grade 10 now!
    Video. Now.

35. J A Z Z
    Date: Tue, Dec 28 2010 02:25:04

No video cam!

36. AwonW
    Date: Tue, Dec 28 2010 03:17:42

J A Z Z wrote: No video cam!
    In this day and age? Seriously? Borrow one. We all want to see you play :D

37. J A Z Z
    Date: Tue, Dec 28 2010 13:51:17

I haven't money. And really I dont think i will be getting one and i dont have some relatives with a new Video Camera.

38. J A Z Z
    Date: Sat, Jan 1 2011 13:34:55

bought a new phone anyone want video of anything?

39. r96
    Date: Sat, Jan 1 2011 15:08:48

Wow,JAZZ is so good at piano... I'm only grade 8 and I cant play most Chopin's music,its absolutely difficult to me

40. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Jan 2 2011 02:38:34

J A Z Z wrote: bought a new phone anyone want video of anything?
    what can you play? Scriabin Etude 8-12 is a good one

41. J A Z Z
    Date: Sun, Jan 2 2011 03:03:40

Zombo wrote: what can you play? Scriabin Etude 8-12 is a good one
    whatttt..omg would take a long time to learn!heh i think maybe about 4 months for 6 pages==

42. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Jan 2 2011 03:44:21

dunno, didn't take me 4 months to learn

43. J A Z Z
    Date: Sun, Jan 2 2011 07:02:50

how about "Goliwogs Cake Walk"? Thats what my teacher wants me to practise on now..0.o anyways Zombo wheres your playing?

44. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Jan 2 2011 11:59:22

cant fins the vid anymore

45. Surge
    Date: Sun, Jan 2 2011 14:28:03

Make some new ones, Zombo. We want new fap material. It's been far too long.

46. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Jan 2 2011 16:07:04

what? i filmed a few weeks ago

47. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Jan 6 2011 21:12:49

my new request: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvfndahDTEY&feature=related i love this

48. MonsterPandasEatTofu
    Date: Thu, Apr 14 2011 02:57:35

I've played piano since I was 7 but I wasn't to interested in it till I began to play pieces I actually liked when I was 10 I'm about 15 now ^.^

49. Storm
    Date: Thu, Apr 14 2011 03:37:39

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzGgX1DihPw

50. hoiboy
    Date: Thu, Apr 14 2011 04:11:29

:O that's cool