UPSB v4

Philosophy / Peak of a pen spinner

1. Darealone
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 16:13:48

:teach:As we all know everyone is at there best at one point. Like Michael Phelps in the olymipcs and Patriots and the superbowl. So do you think spinners will have there "peak" or point when there at there best? Cuz just like the thread, we might all "quit" at some point.:teach: Wat do u think?

2. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 16:24:17

yes, many spinners become the best of their era but then get overtaken by new spinners.

3. Mats
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 16:25:54

However, he is suggesting will there be one best ever. The answer is 'perhaps'.

4. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 16:38:51

"best one ever" can never be proven because it takes infinite time to verify it, or that pen spinning cease to exist at some point.

5. Darealone
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 16:46:29

Actually Im just stating that is there a moment at which they are at there 100% best and then after that they cant improve or etc...well not exactly improve but can be beaten easily...

6. Storm
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 20:24:36

Well that comes to personal preference. I believe the "peak" of penspinning was when JEB were the leaders with their style and linkages. They brought something more to penspinning; not only would they be simply doing hard tricks and linkages, but they'd make them look good and stylized too. Others would argue that today is due to the rise of powertricks, an almost completely new branch of tricks.

7. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 20:47:55

I think pen spinning is constantly evolving, "best" is a relative word, I personally have no doubt that the spinners today are much better than say a few years back. Maybe it isn't as evolving or innovating as much, but pen spinning is much more developed than it has ever been and it will continue to progress in this manner.

8. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 21:32:56

most people here don't understand the topic this is not about pen spinning in general, this is about pen spinners specifically yes there is a peak for each pen spinner, its very rare to see a pen spinner continue to improve for a long time mostly because ppl will grow bored of their style if they stay the sam.e

9. spinford
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 21:50:38

In my own opinion, I think there will be no limit and peak to penspinning. Its an art like music. I play the piano everyday and there is something new to learn everyday like techniques, dynamics. There is always room to improve and no peak will exist. music started more than million years ago and until now, has music reached the peak yet?

10. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 21:57:31

I think he already took it as a fact that there was peak in his first post, reasons from this, can vary, from old age and a loss of dexterity, loss of motivation, injury and all sorts of factors. If you stick with it you have to really love it and constantly push yourself forward. However as pen spinning becomes more developed each new spinners peak grows higher. You can always improve, I don't think I know a spinner who couldn't be better at something, they may amaze you but but there is always room for improvement and creativity in pen spinning. I think pen spinners would be better compared to an artist or a musician, there is technical skill, and there is artistic ability, so "peak" is very relative. As far as technical skill, there can and for all of the spinners currently a peak at which you spin the most, however I think overall skill follows a general trend upwards for as long as you spin. In this way it is really very closely related to quitting, as you usually see the biggest decline in skill level in those who have quite spinning for a few years. And as far as quitting goes, it's up to the individual interest level, and what you're willing to invest into pen spinning. @spinford got it in before me :p. As far as personal musicians /composers ability, you can argue that some had peaks, but then again many went crazy and died young. But again, it's subjective.

11. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 22:26:59

spinford wrote: In my own opinion, I think there will be no limit and peak to penspinning. Its an art like music. I play the piano everyday and there is something new to learn everyday like techniques, dynamics. There is always room to improve and no peak will exist. music started more than million years ago and until now, has music reached the peak yet?
    :facepalm: again misunderstood the topic, its not about pen spinning in general, its about the limit of each spinner individually.

12. spinford
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 23:18:17

same as the universe when will it end? Penspinning is like the universe

13. walrus
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 23:44:31

i guess this is the peek point of peem. people are getting bored of his power trick spamming and someome will probably beet him in the WT 2011

14. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Dec 4 2010 00:20:27

But if he continues to develop, and work on his spinning he will continue to grow as a spinner while retaining his mastery of power tricks. You can't just say he's at his peak, it's really up to the individual to find something to improve on and work at it.

15. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Dec 4 2010 00:41:39

spinford wrote: same as the universe when will it end? Penspinning is like the universe
    what are you talking about. a single pen spinner does not live forever (except me). he's asking if a pen spinner ever peaks out and his skills decrease. not pen spinning in general. the answer is yes, and its pretty obvious.

16. k-ryder
    Date: Sat, Dec 4 2010 13:20:47

obviously the answer is "yes" but then the question is what should you do once you hit (at that point, percieved) peak for example, after peem won WT09, and thought, this is the highest i'll ever reach, what should he do 2 answers come to mind, 1 being retire at the peak, the other is hope for improvement hypothetically, at this point, it is the peak of your ability, trying to improve will not be successful actually, now i realise the example with peem/wt09 is a bad idea, obviously he could diversify his style lets say he wins wt11, he shows these amazing ideas that improve pen spinning dramatically quiting could just leave the audience disappointed, questioning whether it is his personal peak. he could then return, which could also disappoint audience, as he may have dropped in ability. i think thats sort of whats been going on with kuzu/seven/old school jeb spinners. also interesting to see what happens with minwoo continuing can also lead to disappointment, as he plateaus and stays at the same level, a group of spinners will reach this level, possibly surpass him. the peak for the best spinner does not mean a peak for pen spinning. it just means that the spinner cannot come up with new ideas, improve his skill etc. mm, that post i think ended up a bit ranty (damn you late night posting) anyway, however off topic i got, this is my opinions (what a lame-ass conclusion....)

17. Hidekyo
    Date: Sat, Dec 4 2010 14:40:15

If the "peak" is really the point of no return where someone has gone so in depth in the pen spinning it is there own personel idea of "the peak". Anyone can say they have reach "the peak" but its a personal opinion. Spinnerpeem might not agree saying that he won the wt09 is hi "peak" he might of said winning the next WT and the next is his "peak".

18. Starryz97
    Date: Sun, Jul 3 2011 15:57:12

well this post is over one year but i really have something to say about it. the peak, in my opinion, is you can do any style, and spin with any pen mod. you could even combine two style together. i personally think that actually no one did that ain't?

19. Awesome
    Date: Sun, Jul 3 2011 18:52:53

I think the peak of most spinners is 16-18 years of age. Generally they have a few years of experience then and its before college/full time job. Once people get those they tend to stop or cut down significantly on their spinning.

20. Soren
    Date: Wed, Aug 31 2011 10:03:00

i dont think that anyone can ever be at their 100% best, there are always something new that can be done, and such creativity can be included in pen spinning that one person cant be able to add these creativity into their combos

21. i.suk
    Date: Wed, Aug 31 2011 14:06:19

you only reach your peak once you stop practicing as much, then your skill starts going down, and you realise that 'X number of weeks/months' ago, your skill was at a higher level than it is now otherwise, for someone who consistently practices, a 'peak' is never really reached however, 'peaking' in a given trick/skill array is quite common (for me, anyway) - for example, if you train intensively on a trick/trick family/linkage for an hour or more every day of the week for a week or two, and then only use this skill every now and then later, then the 'peak' of that given skill might be higher immediately after the training session than a month or so afterwards (of course, the overall skill of a spinner includes many different things - difficulty, execution, creativity, appeal, effectiveness, balance, strategising etcetc, might be hard to determine a specific peak so to speak)

22. Zach0808
    Date: Thu, Dec 29 2011 19:45:41

There is no peak; Pen spinning is a journey, not a destination

23. Joiemoie
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 01:19:23

You want to know the peak of a pen spinner? Just send them to the bathroom and give em 5 minutes...

24. Alex
    Date: Wed, Jul 11 2012 02:11:07

I dont think there is you can always learn something new

25. agillitrhiz
    Date: Wed, Jul 11 2012 11:46:58

Darealone wrote: Actually Im just stating that is there a moment at which they are at there 100% best and then after that they cant improve or etc...well not exactly improve but can be beaten easily...
    everybody's 100%percent is different,a beginners 100% can never beat an advanced pen spinner's 90%.so,you shouldn't be saying ''be beaten easily.''But if its a more of 'do their best',it's a sure can...(and everyone's best is different)

26. grumpywizard101
    Date: Thu, Dec 20 2012 02:12:44

spinner reacher their peak when they winn in every event in a toturment

27. Escorpio123
    Date: Thu, Dec 20 2012 03:23:32

WAY TOO many tricks and new linkages to learn. There is no peak to penspinning's limits. So, a penspinner doesn't have a peak Imo :mellow: