UPSB v4

Off-topic / NASA will hold a press conference on Thrusday

1. Frip
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 04:01:44

NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life.
    The event will be streamed here on Thursday at 11 AM PST: http://www.nasa.gov/ OSHI-

2. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 04:02:28

our finding increases the probability of life outside of earth from 1% to 1.5% please continue.

3. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 04:12:25

I am really disappointed in Americas lack of enthusiasm of NASA and space >.< like really... live streams from space, and other stuff hardly get any attention from people (a couple hundred...) idk... I think it's kind of ridiculous not that you can MAKE people more interested but it feels like the overerall momentum of it is being overwhelmed by other issues. :\ Meh, ANYWAYS, will be sure to tune in! :] Thanks Frip.

4. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 04:15:43

apparently NASA holds conference like this ALL THE TIME. so its really nothing. http://www.universetoday.com/80817/calm-down-nasa-hasnt-found-any-aliens/

5. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 04:30:54

shoeman6 wrote: I am really disappointed in Americas lack of enthusiasm of NASA and space >.< like really...
    Why would anyone care? It's space. Great.

6. tylt
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 04:35:04

XYZaki wrote: Why would anyone care? It's space. Great.
    You must be the most ignorant person I've ever hear. This world is not going to last forever. We will eventually have to make colonies in space because all of this worlds resources will get used up. Aren't you excited by the notion that there is probably life somewhere else out there?

7. Dudak
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 04:39:01

tylt wrote: Aren't you excited by the notion that there is probably life somewhere else out there?
    Who cares if there is life somewhere else out there? It's in space. Not here.

8. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 05:33:07

tylt wrote: You must be the most ignorant person I've ever hear. This world is not going to last forever. We will eventually have to make colonies in space because all of this worlds resources will get used up. Aren't you excited by the notion that there is probably life somewhere else out there?
    /10 troll

9. Frip
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 05:44:54

Zombo wrote: apparently NASA holds conference like this ALL THE TIME. so its really nothing. http://www.universetoday.com/80817/calm-down-nasa-hasnt-found-any-aliens/
    lame. ALIEN TIME BITCHES

10. Mats
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 09:20:43

Americans have a great worldwide reputation for being ignorant assholes. This thread has so far, only served to further support this reputation.

11. Phua.S.Y
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 13:34:54

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/space/article7107207.ece "THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist — but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact."

12. JLSpinY
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 15:22:31

Their probabally are aliens but they'll look nothing like you'd epect them to be.

13. Eso
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 15:25:22

Mats wrote: Americans have a great worldwide reputation for being ignorant assholes. This thread has so far, only served to further support this reputation.
    No. This is an illusion ignorant foreigners come up with since USA has a much larger population. I've been to Europe and Asia. There are ignorant assholes there too. A lot. Anyways, needs more Asari and Quarian.

14. JLSpinY
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 15:40:04

Eso wrote: No. This is an illusion ignorant foreigners come up with since USA has a much larger population. I've been to Europe and Asia. There are ignorant assholes there too. A lot.
    Are you disagreeing with Mats said that many people think Americans are ignorant assholes, or him saying that this thread has supported that fact? Why does the fact that the USA has a large population have anything to do with it?

15. Mats
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 16:20:31

The thoughts I have heard are that in the opinion of many Europeans, Americans have pretty much the highest proportional amount of assholes in the developed world. i.e. Many Americans, especially those who end up travelling over here to Europe, are arragant self rightous idiots who are disillusioned and poorly educated.

16. Dudak
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 21:35:18

Mats wrote: This thread has so far, only served to further support this reputation.
    How?

17. Eso
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 23:44:41

[spoiler="off topic"]

JLSpinY wrote: Are you disagreeing with Mats said that many people think Americans are ignorant assholes, or him saying that this thread has supported that fact? Why does the fact that the USA has a large population have anything to do with it?
    I'm saying it's not a hard fact that Americans have a larger proportion of assholes compared to the rest of the world. All of this hate towards Americans is ridiculous and incredibly ironic considering the fact that EVERY PLACE in the world has assholes. The only reason why so many non-Americans who have hate for Americans are two reasons: 1) media and 2) our population. Naturally there are going to be assholes no matter where you go, but when you only look at the total number of assholes in America, you're going to wind up with a much larger number, which is only because there's a larger population. Generalizing an entire nation based on what you see on TV, or even a few anecdotes is incredibly ignorant. And to those that hate Americans, it should strike them as being ironic that they would take on such an uneducated and biased opinion. Point of the matter is, you don't generalize an entire people. I've done some traveling and I've met assholes EVERYWHERE. You can't point fingers only at Americans and call them names without taking a good look at yourself first. [/spoiler]

18. iMatt
    Date: Thu, Dec 2 2010 00:07:57

I've been to Europe. There are equal if not MORE assholes there. 1.) America = the reputation of bush. That fucker made us the moron stereotype. 2.) Have you watched Japanese television? If I was basing everything on stereotypes they would be crazy non-sensical people with too much free time. That doesn't describe Japan at all. Mats, dick comment. come on man. Back on topic HOWEVER This isn't going to be too big of news, I'm pretty sure it's going to be something along the lines of, "Signs from *insert substance* shows that life may have been sustainable for micro-organisms at some point in time of the universe." Typical NASA stuff lol.

19. chogoling
    Date: Thu, Dec 2 2010 01:27:42

It's just a fucking stereotype, people who aren't dumb won't think along the same lines so just let it go. Stereotypes apply to the majority of cultures in the world. Ontopic: probably just some new sighting of some object

20. AoD1
    Date: Thu, Dec 2 2010 01:36:21

chogoling wrote: It's just a fucking stereotype, people who aren't dumb won't think along the same lines so just let it go. Stereotypes apply to the majority of cultures in the world. Ontopic: probably just some new sighting of some object
    and you know this how?

21. tylt
    Date: Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:38:25

Mats wrote: The thoughts I have heard are that in the opinion of many Europeans, Americans have pretty much the highest proportional amount of assholes in the developed world. i.e. Many Americans, especially those who end up travelling over here to Europe, are arragant self rightous idiots who are disillusioned and poorly educated.
    I am disappointed. I'm american, and I don't think that I said anything in this thread to add to this so called stereotype that you have. If you could please put that huge British nose down and come down off that high horse, I think that we could all understand you a little better ok. Is that better for you? /rant OT It probably will be, just like iMatt said, it'll probably be some inert substance that shows that there could have been microorganisms living somewhere or that there was a chance that there was life there X number of years ago. And to all you kids saying, "Hey it's in space" I say so what. The way that technology is moving right now you never know what kind of advancements we'll make. We could all be in space within in the next 50 years as far as anybody knows. Keep your minds open, don't let that adult mind take over just yet.

22. JLSpinY
    Date: Thu, Dec 2 2010 12:39:54

We could all be living in space now if enough money was put into space exploration.

23. Mats
    Date: Thu, Dec 2 2010 14:26:52

well tylt, I always see you on this forum as someone who tells it like it is, someone who will grow up to quite wise etc. However, you cannot change the fact, and it is a fact, that in Europe at least, Americans have an AWFUL reputation. I suspect, that in Asia, it is no better and I don't see why any other continents would be much different.

24. neXus
    Date: Thu, Dec 2 2010 15:21:56

Hours before their special news conference today, the cat is out of the bag: NASA has discovered a completely new life form that doesn't share the biological building blocks of anything currently living in planet Earth. This changes everything. At their conference today, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe Simon will announce that they have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today. Instead of using phosphorus, the bacteria uses arsenic. All life on Earth is made of six components: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same. But not this one. This one is completely different. Discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California, this bacteria is made of arsenic, something that was thought to be completely impossible. While she and other scientists theorized that this could be possible, this is the first discovery. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don't have to be like planet Earth. No details have been disclosed about the origin or nature of this new life form. We will know more today at 2pm EST but, while this life hasn't been found in another planet, this discovery does indeed change everything we know about biology. I don't know about you, but I've not been so excited about a bacteria since my STD tests came back clean.
    http://gizmodo.com/5704158/ Cool shit.

25. JLSpinY
    Date: Thu, Dec 2 2010 16:01:49

Wow, that is a pretty big deal.

26. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Dec 2 2010 19:50:00

fail gizmodo "This article mixes two things up. 1. Nasa announced today that they've found possible evidence that there have lived bacteria on Mars. 2. ArsTechnica reported on an EARTH bacteria that can use arsenic in its DNA instead of stuff like carbon fiber."

27. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Dec 3 2010 16:37:32

research debunked: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/athena-andreadis-phd/arsenic-and-odd-lace_b_791454.html

28. Kirby
    Date: Tue, Dec 7 2010 02:48:46

Or you could think that there is a good chance that because of medicine and technology advances, the life expectancy will increase to maybe 100 years old by the time we get old. No significant shit will happen in those next 80-90 years. Therefore I don't really care. Although it is interesting. Then again, I hate space, it gives me a really atheist view on the world (I is Christian).