UPSB v4

Forum Games / Mafia Game #6 - Post Game Thread (PGT)

1. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 04:42:59

Game Thread: http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=2693 Use this thread to discuss the results of the game. This thread is open to the public for posting.

2. hoiboy
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 04:44:50

Sorry :( Edit: How funny was this to the spectators/people that knew that actual roles?

3. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 04:56:36

Dayyum Biji had me fooled o_O I thought it was Gigabyte the whole time lol. Good game guys ^^

4. tacohead12
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 05:11:46

Dayummm. Biji got me. But, in the back of my mind, I had a strange feeling he was acting funny when he acted so smart. And then, I was suprised I got killed and not him since he was making smart assumptions. I didn't really connect these two facts together and even so, I was dead :[. You guys should have trusted me about knightpal D; lol Who cares though, that was fun.

5. hoiboy
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 05:43:06

Biji is a genius. One thing that really screwed us over was the killing of Sheepster for just accusing someone off the spot. Being loud and obnoxious is usually a good reason for suspect, as is accusing someone first thing. I believe that whoever is the town doctor should at least lay low for a couple of rounds to avoid suspicion.

6. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 06:08:49

Well I mean if you lay too low you draw suspicion also. Like I suspected you too Hoiboy. Just because you were laying low. You didn't give a lot of information as to your position so it was hard to figure out who the Mafia was. Well I didn't even figure it out. I found out after lol

7. tacohead12
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 06:34:38

Yeah, I was getting suspicious of hoiboy as well. I thought he was a mafia trying to hide in all the chaos while we killed each other. But I knew he wasn't mafia later because he had the chance to lynch knightpal for quite a while and he didn't do so until we called him out on it, so I figured he wasn't mafia :P

8. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 06:34:46

this game was blazingly fast. people were really quick to vote. a game of this setup usually takes a month to complete. on one hand it's good because no time is wasted. on the other hand, it's not so good because some people played recklessly. in the first day, you can't lynch without hearing a defense from a few people. also it's very very bad for a townie to vote no lynch. your main weapon to kill mafia is to lynch, so voting no lynch means the mafia is always safe. also voting no lynch means no information is generated. it's more important to know who voted for a lynch than the death of the townie itself. information is power in this game. if you vote no lynch, you don't get more information. if you mislynch day 1, it gives you lots of information for the rest of the game. voting patterns and accusation patterns are important. in the last few days, it's very dangerous to vote without solid evidence. in day 3, a single bad vote makes the town lose. in other words, as soon as a townie puts a bad vote, the 2 mafias can quickly bandwagon and cause a mislynch, winning in day 3. in those situations, you can't put down votes, so you have to rely of the Finger of Suspicion (FoS), which is an informal way of saying you're suspecting someone without committing to any vote. people also dress a suspect list with every post they make. day 1 was perfect for mafia. a power townie died and NONE of the mafia voted for his lynch. this is extremely bad because no information was leaked; in fact, misinformation was created. day 2 was poor for mafia because they consecutively started an attack against knightpal. this is strong evidence they're working together. day 1 information is usually less valuable than later rounds because there's no information to rely on. normally you want to probe as many players as possible before the day is over. keep in mind those informations as mafia players might slip up and create a contradiction with claims stated in day 1. townies usually have no reason to lie; therefore "lynch all liars" is a good strategy for town. day 4 was also bad play by biji by voting first, given the fact that a single bad vote can lose the game since a mafia can bandwagon and mislynch immediately. instead, biji should have FoS'd gigabyte and give him a final defense talk. by voting right away without concrete evidence, it makes him look like a mafia. defense in the game relies on 2 concepts: claiming and facts. if you have facts, such as voting pattern or accusation patterns, you can prove that you are innocent. claiming is another way. for example, you can say "i suspect X is mafia. if I get killed in the night, then X is mafia. If I don't, then lynch me. It will be shown that I am town. Then you can lynch X". or "I am the cop. Nobody will counter-claim me therefore I am speaking the truth." usually this is done by the cop at a critical moment after he's uncovered a mafia. unfortunately, icolor managed to guess correctly in day 1. there are no set strategy for the mafia. it depends highly on what the town is doing and reacting to them and creating misinformation. in this game, the town was really aggressive and some did really suspicious behaviors like vote-hopping or bandwagoning. it was therefore easier for the mafia to act more aggressive. the key is not to stand out.

9. GigaByte
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 09:30:56

haha .. nice game guys but to bad we lose thx for all player for the game specially for the organizer ZOMBO, thx a lot @Zombo , thx for the nice game , hope can u can start another game (if can) and i love to join .. thx a lot NICE GAME EVERYBODY!!

10. Biji
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 10:26:22

Heh, I'll admit everything didn't go as I had planned Day 2 was so tense, I thought iColor was going to get lynched right then and there ==" Eh, on day 4 if I had let GigaByte vote first, he might've voted for hoiboy, who knows ^^ And Eriror's probably all "Yeah. I knew it was Biji from day one" Gotta ask though, were you rooting for anyone, Zombo? xD

11. SheepSter
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 15:14:07

It was fun hope this will happen again, also someone has to get lynched first day =D its cool~

12. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 15:18:15

from a roleplaying perspective, I am rooting for the town because they're the good guys in the story.

13. tacohead12
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 16:03:25

Lol, I think that the next time will be better because I'm sure nobody knew how to defend themselves as being town. I was just being risky trying to protect knightpal because I know he wouldn't reveal as a mafia so easily. And I agree that everyone was being rather reckless. Hopefully, the next game will have a little bit smarter decision making.

14. Knightpal
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 17:41:09

DANG IT. First of all @Zombo More Mafia games pl0x. you're awesome at modding em. And I can't help but notice the stories you did for past UPSB Mafia games, those were interesting. LIke the one in v3.

15. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 18:10:01

i did not write the stories kensai or firebird wrote them

16. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 20:51:56

I can write the narrative for the next game if you'd like someone to. It'd be interesting to actually try. Of course, I'd love to play [and yes, I knew who the mafia were from night 1 onwards], but this could be cool too.

17. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 20:59:24

narratives are only required to longer games with more elaborate roles and structure. the next game is going to be yet another "newbie" game with an open setup; it will start next week. I think the first narrated game will only start in january because i am going on vacation during christmas break, unless someone else is hosting.

18. hoiboy
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 22:35:51

The depressing thing was that I went through the evidence and I suspected Biji. The whole point of my previous post pointing out the voting patterns between iColor and GigaByte was to actually turn the tables on Biji once we lynched iColor. Then I saw Nachoaddicts post about suspecting GigaByte and iColor, and then I found out he was the town cop, so I changed my mind. At the rate these games go, I say we can easily have a 15+ person game of mafia.

19. Knightpal
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 23:11:59

@Zombo I didn't know that, I actually read that whole v3 mafia game xD and Eriror, DO ITT

20. GigaByte
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 23:48:12

Knightpal wrote: @hoiboy that'd be fun. This was my first game, I think I did some wrong moves back there.
    LOL , same .. this is my 1st game at this game is fun

21. hoiboy
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 23:49:18

What gets really interesting is when you place traitors in the mafia who try to reveal the other members without giving themselves away.

22. Holypie
    Date: Tue, Nov 30 2010 03:53:04

Oooh can I host the next one? It's going to be quite a bit more advanced with neutrals, customized roles, mason groups but I think we'll be fine. After another newbie practice game I mean.

23. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Nov 30 2010 03:54:09

if you want to host, go ahead, maybe you want to talk to eriror too if you need him to narrate.

24. Nachoaddict
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 02:01:21

@hoiboy Yeah sorry I pushed you off the path lol xD As you can see now I tried to investigate Gigabyte twice but ended up failing both :/

25. miyat
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 18:04:18

I barely got to do anything T.T. But i kinda suspected iColor when i was watching the game go on. Trust no one....