UPSB v4

General Discussion / World Pen Spinning Editing Tournament

1. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, Nov 22 2010 11:37:17

I was just thinking that since there already been tournaments for the other 2 prongs of pen spinning, there might as well be one for editing. I don't have the reach or the resources to organise this myself so I'm just leaving it here for discussion. I think if this was to happen, I thoughts would be that each round, the committee would have to gather a certain number of combos from different spinners and send them to the respective editors. Some of the criteria's can be music syncing, special effects and the theme usage. Not a most meticulous description but I just wanted to see what you guys think of it. Good idea?

2. Gr3gY
    Date: Mon, Nov 22 2010 13:28:40

pretty good idea but having the whole video editting thing as a tournament sort of... i think there shld be like award for best editting or sth instead of a whole tournament. u know like, award for best editting of the intro/entry collab of the various ps communities. i dont really know much abt how the wt's gonna be caried out this year (intro collab or not and other details) but just some thoughts.

3. Mats
    Date: Mon, Nov 22 2010 14:00:53

It would work best if it was just some combos (let's say 6-8). Each video must include all 8 combos in their entirety, along with say, names of the spinners for each combo. Anything else is up to the editor - Order, transitions, credits (if at all), effects etc. It could go down in the battlezone, just like a multi-spinner battle, except instead of a combo, each entry would be a collab. If there was a large number of 'collabs', there could perhaps be a panel of 3-5 judges to narrow it down to the best few, as I think the public would not want to watch a large number of fairly long videos (compared to the length of a single combo) in a row, that were all the same pen spinning clips.

4. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Nov 22 2010 14:47:52

pretty good idea and actually very feasible. you'll probably want some very high grade combos for such a tournament, that's probably the hardest part. one possibility is to recycle WT vids, but ppl will have already seen those combos. On one hand, this is good because the audience will focus more on the editing. On the other hand, it's less interesting.

5. Mats
    Date: Mon, Nov 22 2010 15:49:36

Why do you need high grade combos? :S

6. Prince
    Date: Mon, Nov 22 2010 16:14:43

How about each contender has the same videos to work with, and they can select to use whichever they like, but atleast then people are more likely to appreciate the editing and not the combos?

7. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Nov 22 2010 17:37:09

Mats wrote: Why do you need high grade combos? :S
    to generate interest. if you're making a world-class tournament, you need to give the editors world-class combos, or they migth not be motivated to edit

8. Prince
    Date: Mon, Nov 22 2010 20:33:40

how about a round that tests how well they can edit a not-so-good combo. make it look appealing as possible...?

9. k-ryder
    Date: Tue, Nov 23 2010 00:31:45

to edit a "not so good" combo into a collab, you either have to do one of two things 1. "cheat" cut the breaks/pauses etc 2. put lots of effects in to distract from the combo these skills are great, but no editor should get used to using these tricks, the point of editing a collab is to bring out the best from already high class combos

10. Hippo2626
    Date: Tue, Nov 23 2010 00:37:15

I think new videos are needed because some of the editors might be already more familiar with the already published videos and will have the advantage if those are chosen. I was wondering if the softwares they use should be limited to only vegas and after effects?

11. Kari-Chan
    Date: Tue, Nov 23 2010 00:49:17

why should it be limited to vegas and AE?

12. Hippo2626
    Date: Tue, Nov 23 2010 00:50:40

Would it be unfair to those who don't have access to the other softwares?

13. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Nov 23 2010 00:52:09

Hippo2626 wrote: I think new videos are needed because some of the editors might be already more familiar with the already published videos and will have the advantage if those are chosen. I was wondering if the softwares they use should be limited to only vegas and after effects?
    what i mean is, you provide the videos, but the videos were already public

14. Kari-Chan
    Date: Tue, Nov 23 2010 01:03:22

Hippo2626 wrote: Would it be unfair to those who don't have access to the other softwares?
    would it be unfair if you had some other editing software that can be just as good when the right techniques are applied but you can't participate because you don't have vegas/AE? XP

15. Froggy
    Date: Tue, Nov 23 2010 03:52:14

lol then maybe we can have a pen insert tornament? PrinceXD

16. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, Nov 27 2010 00:10:01

Minovate 3rd: [video=youtube;0PQ7KXcrbYI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PQ7KXcrbYI[/video] The Airtime: [video=youtube;YrzBdxwotxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrzBdxwotxk[/video] JapEn Board 5th [video=youtube;y6BnGHLHgC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6BnGHLHgC4[/video] UPSB 2nd: [video=youtube;ZQ7HM6e8JI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ7HM6e8JI0[/video] If you guys totally ignore the spinning in the video which collab is the best?

17. taichi1082
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 12:44:14

Hippo2626 wrote: Would it be unfair to those who don't have access to the other softwares?
    Wait, you mean there are people who can afford after effects but nothing else? I mean given the fact that AE is probably the best and most expensive editing software on the market (and vegas maybe the best or 2nd best tool for cutting), why is a limit necessary?