UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / Age descrepency in relationships

1. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Nov 20 2010 02:56:44

I just watched bones and heard the half plus eight socially acceptable age limit for sexual relationships, what do you think? Older men with younger women, Older women with younger men? When is it TO much, or when are people over reacting?

2. medacyber
    Date: Sat, Nov 20 2010 03:10:50

well personally i would prefer a girl around my age i wouldn't like it if she was like 6 or 8 years older let alone like 13 or more so i wouldn't think it would be an over reaction

3. neoknux_009
    Date: Sat, Nov 20 2010 06:43:12

um. well legally i think its 5 years difference here when your a minor (under 18) The legal age here is 16 to have sex. eww peto's. Well my friend is going out with a girl 5 years diffrence and they are really happy. In fact 5 years difference is the "recoommded" age difference to find harmony (even i dont think so).

4. Tkal
    Date: Sat, Nov 20 2010 07:06:12

I think xkcd's approximation is a little bit more reasonable: Hidden restrictions: Applies to only males above the age of 14 and under 60.

5. Mats
    Date: Sat, Nov 20 2010 23:44:11

I think that a long term relationship is more likely to work if you are of a similar age.

6. Scott Shaputis
    Date: Mon, Nov 22 2010 16:13:51

I honestly don't think it matters all too much at old ages, but when you're younger, 23 and under or so, I would say that it does matter a lot. Although the age difference doesn't seem to matter to me, there is a difference in maturity, and life styles. There always will be these differences, but more so with younger people. I would say 3 year rule for anyone under 21. And aside from that it is all gravy.

7. XYZaki
    Date: Mon, Nov 22 2010 16:30:15

Personally, I'm attracted to older girls a lot more.

8. Tialys
    Date: Sun, Dec 19 2010 14:54:55

Well, since the type of relationsip wasn't specified, it would depend what exactly you're looking for. If it's a short-term relationship or "friends wth benefits", I guess the difference in age wouldn't matter, so long as it doesn't approach pedophilia. If it's a long-term relationship with the possibility of civil union or marriage, I agree with Scott in that the difference in maturity level is more important than age when it comes to romantic success. If you've matured into an adult and are dating someone who is still undergoing the rite of passage, then the union could be problematic. I would also add that women are more pressured to marry at a younger age, because their attractiveness fades. Whereas men, who women look to for security and child-bearing capabilities on a primal level, have these qualites even at older ages.

9. Soren
    Date: Thu, Dec 23 2010 10:51:38

i would say that age difference shouldnt really get in your way as long as you are truly in love with that person. However, if one is a lot older than the other then the relationship will be shorter and if you want children you wont be able to get as much as you want and they will suffer as one of the parents will die early. But if you are the similar age with like 1-3 years difference then the relationship will last longer

10. Kari
    Date: Tue, Feb 1 2011 17:11:54

I don't think age matters. ~KTSpinner~

11. Hahnda
    Date: Tue, Jan 3 2012 07:13:42

Taylor Swift <3 that's all i can say

12. neXus
    Date: Tue, Jan 3 2012 08:33:30

Mats wrote: I think that a long term relationship is more likely to work if you are of a similar age.
    Obviously. If your GILF-GF dies 5 years into the relationship because of old age that's gonna be a short relationship.

13. Furloy
    Date: Tue, Jan 24 2012 01:46:32

I think for minors age difference no more than 5. But I don't think it's ok to marry someone 13 years younger/older or more because then they could be your child.