UPSB v4

General Discussion / What is Style?

1. WhatsOfTheUp1
    Date: Wed, Nov 17 2010 04:28:33

Well I've always been kind of confused on this concept, but EXACTLY WHAT IS a style? Is it the way you spin (as in spinning slowly but very smoothly and cool like bonkura, or spinning fast AND smooth) or is it like just the sort of tricks that you use in combos (or is it something else..?)? Thanks, cause I've always been weirded out on this subject.

2. SJ
    Date: Wed, Nov 17 2010 04:38:27

hmm..its hard to describe. i think its the way one spins. not necessarily having to do with speed or smoothness.

3. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Nov 17 2010 04:45:50

It's how you do your trick the way your wrist moves, what you do with your fingers while you do the trick, what tricks you prefer or do more often. It's HOW you spin

4. k-ryder
    Date: Wed, Nov 17 2010 04:51:24

as they said, it how YOU spin. that's your "style" how you move your hand, how you link tricks, what tricks you link obviously there are larger, more general definitions for a certain style (thai, japanese etc.) but that is just a way of conveniently labelling a certain way of spinning. yours can fit it to a certain degree, could contain elements from it, but not purely fit the definition think of music. in any genre (or subgenre) there are a number of artists, that sound similar to each other, but if you listen to them carefully, they are unique in their own way. the japanese/thai styles are the "genres" and what you choose to do is the individual artists. these labels are designed to fit a pool of spinners, not for a spinner to enter a pool did i get a little too philosophical with that post?...

5. KTrinh93
    Date: Wed, Nov 17 2010 11:22:36

^ what he said ^ he pretty much hit the nail on the head. the music example was a good comparison thing too. style is just how you execute tricks and how you spin in general. also some tricks can be done with different styles too. for example. continuous busting. pretty much everyone has a different busting style. easy comparison are spinnerpeem and supawit127.. if you look at peem's busts, they are uniquely different than supawit's busts because even though they are both from THPSC and are known to have similar styles, their busting styles are different. this just proves that style is a general term that is specific to the spinner.

6. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Nov 17 2010 14:01:22

Style = signature moves + way you execute tricks (hand/wrist/arm motion) + tempo + structure of combos + angle/background + choice of mod

7. Pen Ninja
    Date: Wed, Nov 17 2010 15:23:29

to do a trick, you have to do a rough movement with ur fingers/hand, not every1's method is exactly the same, but they all work... the way u do it... that still works... helps define ur style also ur preferred tricks, speed, level of smoothness and such all help

8. spinford
    Date: Wed, Nov 17 2010 23:17:15

Style is your style. It is what tricks and combos you prefer

9. Mage In Black
    Date: Wed, Nov 17 2010 23:28:50

Zombo wrote: Style = signature moves + way you execute tricks (hand/wrist/arm motion) + tempo + structure of combos + angle/background + choice of mod
    This, but you forgot hand and finger shape. Ex: long and slender fingers vs short stubby fingers.

10. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Nov 17 2010 23:44:26

Style is what makes your spinning different from everyone else and how you execute it. There are different things that constitute to style. The main things are speed, smoothness, combo structure and finger movements. I believe Speed and smoothness speak for itself it's just how fast and smooth you spin Good spinners to watch for this are s777 (Speed and Smoothness), Supawit(Speed and Smoothness), Gisele8 (Speed), Kr4zy (Smoothness), Taichi (Smoothness). For finger movements, It's basically what your other fingers that are not in use for that trick are doing. Some of the common examples are tricks like ring around (whether 1 and 2 are sticking in, out or 1 is out 2 is in), warped sonic (whether 4 moves with 3 when your executing the pass TF charge rev (whether you do it smoothly or with the pause like Seven does it). I would say this is the most difficult part of getting a style you want mainly because it is really difficult to achieve finger independence to control your other fingers as while doing the trick. For Combo structures, its basically what trick of field of tricks your combo would usually contain. For example Stuhl (TP's and isolations), Fire@fox (flexible finger tricks), Peem (power tricks), Penja (baks), Freeman (Creative stuff) and Gollmusk8 (not sure how to spell)(T12 pass TP trick). This isn't a prerequisite to have a style but it makes a spinner much more unique. If you want to see really unique styles go and study the JEB spinners. Hope this is useful! EDIT: Just saw MIB's post. @Mage In Black I Think finger shape does not count as style. Let's take fashion as an example. There are different style to dress up and make up to look good and all that stuff to make you unique, but I don't think people look at your face and say that is part of your style.

11. TheAafg
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 00:21:54

whats the difference between thai style and korean style?

12. Mats
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 00:32:27

According to the might of Google:

How something is done or how it happens.

13. Twine
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 00:43:34

@Mage In Black (a bit ot here) You have excellent fingers but you always complain. I would HAPPILY swap! :( Now a bit on topic: Compare the following spinners: Raimo Spinnerpeem Seven You now know what style is. Find your own :D

14. A.Sate
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 00:44:29

Thai style is known for power tricks, and Korean style is smooth and links tricks well, I think.

15. k-ryder
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 01:03:57

korean style i understand is full of mini combos consisting of baks and tw sonics thai style is also known as powertricking about finger style/length: although it may not be technically part of style, you still need to take it into consideration when you develop your style lets take music for an example. if you have a really high voice, you aren't going to try and sing death metal with really low vocals or even fashion. if you have huge thighs, you wouldn't wear short shorts which will exaggerate the features so in pen spinning, you wouldn't try to do a style which doesn't compliment your hand shape

16. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 01:08:56

style is like personal expression through your spinning, its who you are being demonstrated to the world.

17. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 01:52:42

@Mage In Black style includes everything that's visible when looking at pen spinning. the shape of your fingers will affect what tricks look good or not. they are minor details but still count. could even go as far as looking at pen color (although only french ppl care about that lol) or even skin color (maybe racist)

18. Mage In Black
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 04:06:48

[QUOTE=Hippo2626;35705]Style is what makes your spinning different from everyone else and how you execute it. There are different things that constitute to style. The main things are speed, smoothness, combo structure and finger movements. I believe Speed and smoothness speak for itself it's just how fast and smooth you spin Good spinners to watch for this are s777 (Speed and Smoothness), Supawit(Speed and Smoothness), Gisele8 (Speed), Kr4zy (Smoothness), Taichi (Smoothness). For finger movements, It's basically what your other fingers that are not in use for that trick are doing. Some of the common examples are tricks like ring around (whether 1 and 2 are sticking in, out or 1 is out 2 is in), warped sonic (whether 4 moves with 3 when your executing the pass TF charge rev (whether you do it smoothly or with the pause like Seven does it). I would say this is the most difficult part of getting a style you want mainly because it is really difficult to achieve finger independence to control your other fingers as while doing the trick. For Combo structures, its basically what trick of field of tricks your combo would usually contain. For example Stuhl (TP's and isolations), Fire@fox (flexible finger tricks), Peem (power tricks), Penja (baks), Freeman (Creative stuff) and Gollmusk8 (not sure how to spell)(T12 pass TP trick). This isn't a prerequisite to have a style but it makes a spinner much more unique. If you want to see really unique styles go and study the JEB spinners. Hope this is useful! EDIT: Just saw MIB's post. @Twine Thank you. :] I'm just used to negative attention to my fingers. It's had a negative impact on my own ps.