UPSB v4

General Discussion / a bunch of power spinning questions

1. chili pepper
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 01:14:39

sorry for so many questions. i would've asked these in the SB but all they fucking do there is talk about their junk and flame you when you ask legitimate questions. but anyway... so I've been spinning for a while and recently hit the sixth month mark, and it feels about time for me to develop a specific style. I really like combos from people who I perceive to be power spinners like peem and suppawit, and I would like to give the style a try. My questions: 1. what IS power spinning? I'm asking for a general definition here, like what you would put as the first line if you were adding powerspinning to the wiki 2. do you have any good video recommendations to introduce me to the basics, as in must-see 'select cuts'? 3.who are some notable power spinners I should familiarize myself with? 4. what tricks and linkages generally constitute power? 5. could you post some basic power spinning combos, or maybe some warmups and exercises that would help me become generally proficient with power tricking? thanks a bunch.

2. Twine
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 01:35:49

1. Pen spinning based on fingerless combos. eg. cont busts, FLTA, Haitua, Spreads etc. 2. No videos. Just learn What I said above really but get consistently good at them. 3. Spinnerpeem, Supawit, Olii, i.suk 4. See 1. Linkages aren't prioritized. 5. Haitua > Haitua release FLTA > palmspin 0.5 > FLTA > index spread > Busts Look up more from "Vicgotgame" on youtube.

3. hoiboy
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 01:38:55

1. I would say that power spinning is the abnormally high use of power tricks such as haituas, busts, fl ta's etc. 2. Ktrinh93 has some very nice tutorials on his channel. I definitely rec. them. 3. Spinnerpeem, Supawit, Tonam (or however you spell it), vicgotgame 4. Tricks: Haitua, Ayatori Trick, Spreads, Busts + Aerial, cont. fl arounds > fl spins, fl ta's + aerials, punkan. You want a lot of air and difficulty in there. Linkages: This is a joke. Seriously. 5. To be honest, I don't know any.

4. k-ryder
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 01:39:03

i'm not too keen on the idea of powertricking, so i dont have too much knowledge, but i'll impart what i can 1. powertricking is a style where you try and make the spinning "flashy". usually consists of lots of continuous tricks, aerials and perceivedly "hard" tricks 2. hmm... this is a hard question. i'm not quite sure how to answer. i can give you some of the best videos out there if you go to the world cup 10 youtube channel, you can find all of peem and supawit's videos from that tornament, which all exhibit high-level powertricking also, spinnerpeem's completely fingerless combo in the ExploreM collab (hope thats right) is also well known in terms of introduction to basics, the only place i can say to go is tutorials on the powertricks 3. notable powertrickers - obviously peem and supawit, tony is also well known. powertricking is also known as "thai" style, as it is popular in the thai community (because of peem/spuawait <-- how the hell did i typo that?) if you want someone closer to home (so to speak), i.suk is also a great powertricking spinner, and he's around upsb. i'm sure if you talk to him in the shoutbox or pm him, he could give you advice 4. most "common" powertricks are: busts (fl indexaround cont) and hai tua 5. basic combos?... bust x5 > hai tua x3 ? pen spinning isn't really structured so that there are tiered "combos", nor are there famous combos which everyone does (maybe k4lc) powertricking is nice, however, i will tell you this: some, maybe half of the spinners are against powertricking to a degree. powertricking only seems to focus on continuous tricks, and most newbie powertrickers don't incorporate hard linkages, and the combos tend to look spammy. also, the age of powertricking seems to be nearing an end. it is obvious in the world tornament discussions, that peem can't win it if he continues with his powertrick routines. pen spinning seems once again focussed on creativity, which i'm not saying can't be achieved through powertricking, but there are other ways if you want to focus on powertricking, then theres no way of me stopping you, but the above is a just a warning. hope my posted helped somewhat

5. chili pepper
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 02:27:33

what i mean with number five is, I want to get a 'feel' for power tricking. also, i saw karolnovy's (haurd tuh speal neym) buster CYL session and I'd like to have a regular PS power "workout" that will help me get stuff down consistently and have it all flow. also, sorry for not knowing what linkages are hoiboy? WTF i just thought they were a subdivision of a combo, a few tricks that all string together u_u

6. Holypie
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 02:40:19

He means that power tricks have almost no linkages to them.

7. Twine
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 02:44:05

The PS community is moving on from power tricks but all the pros will still know them and use them. It is a good idea to learn the fundamental power tricks but focus more on linkages , style and smoothness.

8. hoiboy
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 02:44:46

chili pepper;35326]what i mean with number five is, I want to get a 'feel' for power tricking. also, i saw karolnovy's (haurd tuh speal neym) buster CYL session and I'd like to have a regular PS power "workout" that will help me get stuff down consistently and have it all flow. also, sorry for not knowing what linkages are hoiboy? WTF i just thought they were a subdivision of a combo, a few tricks that all string together u_u[/QUOTE] Ehh... that's not what I wrote. I wrote something like that linkages were a joke. [QUOTE=Holypie wrote: He means that power tricks have almost no linkages to them.
    No, I mean that power trick combos usually consist of big trick > spam > big trick > spam etc. The bigs are big and the smalls are... unimpressive.

9. chris
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 02:52:46

1. Power spinning is generally a spinning style wherein combos are mainly composed of power tricks/mini-combos such as hai tua, busts, cont (fl ta ~ palmspin), parn new, punkan, and the like. This style was derived mainly from / are the styles of 2 prominent Thaispinners, Spinnerpeem and Supawit127. 2. I would suggest finding some vids on vicgotSLOMO as well as videos of Spinnerpeem. 3. Spinnerpeem, Supawit, NZ, i.suk, vicgotgame, etc. 4. Linkages within power spinning are often to generate momentum/ put the pen in the right place for the power tricks/combos. Most of them consist of spam. However, you can pursue a equilibrial (dunno if there's such a word) power spinning + linkages (see vicgotgame's videos) 5. TA> Spread TA > Hai Tua TA > FL TA ~ Palmspin

10. Pen Ninja
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 03:28:15

ur way too new for power tricking u shldnt even be asking

11. i.suk
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 03:54:51

chili pepper wrote: so I've been spinning for a while and recently hit the sixth month mark, and it feels about time for me to develop a specific style. I really like combos from people who I perceive to be power spinners like peem and suppawit, and I would like to give the style a try. My questions: 1. what IS power spinning? I'm asking for a general definition here, like what you would put as the first line if you were adding powerspinning to the wiki 2. do you have any good video recommendations to introduce me to the basics, as in must-see 'select cuts'? 3.who are some notable power spinners I should familiarize myself with? 4. what tricks and linkages generally constitute power? 5. could you post some basic power spinning combos, or maybe some warmups and exercises that would help me become generally proficient with power tricking? thanks a bunch.
    wow, i got mentioned on this thread :) lol 1. power spinning is spinning which uses flashy, difficult tricks (typically fl ta - palmspin, hai tua, aerial hai tua, busts, spreads, fl ta, swivel, twisted cobra bite variations etc, but can also include bak variations like the ones A13X uses). basically all of these tricks are fingerless 2. check out VICGOTSLOMO's channel, ktrinh's tutorials, and for some 'simpler' power trick combos, these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjiCKKSAr0Q and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37RlbpoLuiM 3. most famous are spinnerpeem and supawit (the ones who started 'power tricking'), as well as tony, evolution, Nz, i.suk (myself :D). if you want to see baks used as 'power tricks', A13X is the one. vicgotgame is not a 'power spinner', but he is also very good at power tricks. some more famous 'power trick' combos include: spinnerpeem's fl combo in his 2nd tag with supawit, spinnerpeem's explore M combo, spinnerpeem in thaispinner 1st. however, basically any combo spinnerpeem and supawit do for collaborations is filled with power tricks -.- *cough also go to my channel subliminal advertising jk* 4. there are power trick linkages, contrary to what people may say on this thread :P (although you need a truly extremely high level of power tricks to do/think of them, don't worry about these yet). power tricks, as the name suggests, is primarily focused on the use of tricks and not linkages =\ power tricks: fl ta > palmspin ~ fl ta, hai tua, aerial hai tua, spreads, busts and bust releases, pun kan etc 5. some more common power trick sequences include: fl ta > palmspin ~ aerial hai tua fl ta > palmspin ~ hai tua fl ta > index spread > pinky spread > fl ta fl ta > index spread > pinky spread ~ pinky bust ~ fl ta aerial busts, aerial fl tas, aerial spreads etc, as well as continuous swivels/swivel release, twisted cobra bite (done by olii), variations of bak riser > bak spin ~ bak on different fingers, baks with multiple spins etc. just watch videos of famous power trick users. it helps to use a heavier mod with centre of pen (COP) marked out, but aim to be able to do power tricks with lighter mods too coz people might flame you if you can't zzz any more questions/advice, don't hesitate to pm me :D good luck ^^ keep practicing, it takes a long time to master power tricks... however, i can't stress enough the importance of learning advanced linkages/hybrids in 'conventional' spinning. as said by many spinners before, in world tournament, both hard linkages and tricks are required to get a good score, and if spinnerpeem doesn't lift his game (tbh, i think he has a lot of material hiding), he will very likely be beaten xD ultimately, you should develop your own style :) if you copy someone, you will always be in their shadow also at just 6 months, i suggest you expand your ability to do normal spinning and pick up 'power tricks' a bit later, or else your development in ps will lack variety =\

12. Twine
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 04:45:19

[/thread]

13. KTrinh93
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 04:53:23

chili pepper wrote: 1. what IS power spinning? I'm asking for a general definition here, like what you would put as the first line if you were adding powerspinning to the wiki 2. do you have any good video recommendations to introduce me to the basics, as in must-see 'select cuts'? 3.who are some notable power spinners I should familiarize myself with? 4. what tricks and linkages generally constitute power? 5. could you post some basic power spinning combos, or maybe some warmups and exercises that would help me become generally proficient with power tricking?
    1. Power spinning (for me anyways) is anything thats very difficult, usually fingerless, dynamic, flashy, and impressive spinning. It adds the "wow" factor to your spinning. 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI7voKk68ZI <- that's a very basic power trick video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHlpGZQbZLo <- slightly more advanced http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euftSFlKONU <- even more advanced The difficulty words are relative to a 6 month spinner I should add. 3. spinnerpeem, supawit127, nz, some other THPSC spinners, tony, vicgotgame, i.suk.. me.. lol jk XD 4. Hai tua, spreads, palmspin > fl ta, busts, cont fl ta, pun kan... any of those tricks are generally done continuously or linked together somehow to be considered a "powerful" combo. 5. See my videos I posted above :P

14. mintypaladin
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 20:44:40

dude cmon... rlly... if you rlly want to do power tricks, then go for it however, you're only at the 6 month mark in my opinion, the bare minimum to do hai tua would be flta rev-->kor bak or ext ta palmspin (normal +rev) pinkyaround general fl tricks if youre rlly that good then go for it

15. chili pepper
    Date: Tue, Nov 16 2010 22:52:30

thanks for all the other input on power spinning. however, i don't think i want to become a awesome trick>spam>awesome trick spinner, i just liked peem's stuff and thought i kinda wanted to do things like it (>_>) I don't think i spam in my combos anyway ATM, i just wanted... a 'peem infusion' i guess. it's my understanding that you can still power spin with things like midbak 1.5 in your combos? [QUOTE=mintypaladin]dude cmon... rlly... if you rlly want to do power tricks, then go for it however, you're only at the 6 month mark in my opinion, the bare minimum to do hai tua would be flta rev-->kor bak or ext ta palmspin (normal +rev) pinkyaround general fl tricks[/QUOTE] i can: [SPOILER=trick repoitoire] bakfall and the occasional bak 1.5 any kind of sonic extend thumbaround to any slot or any aerial bak(or whatever it is) hai tua, X1 X2 and hai tua> aerial pinky bust IPBA rev some spreads (I don't think i have very good form though >_>) shadows ayatori throw bust X22 and other stuff not worth listing[/SPOILER] is this qualification enough?

16. Frip
    Date: Wed, Nov 17 2010 01:14:28

You can do bust x22 at 6 months? Stop learning that and work on style. Sooner or later you'll find that TA ext bust is gonna be the only ending you'll use. It's your choice though, with that stuff you're way ahead of most people and if everything looks good you'll be fine with it..

17. Pen Ninja
    Date: Wed, Nov 17 2010 01:35:55

chili pepper wrote: oh wow, cool story bro. (apparently I'm an insolent noob! HOW DARE I ASK QUESTIONS AND EXPAND MY KNOWLEDGE OF PENSPINNING WITH LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS WHILE EXPECTING LEGITIMATE ANSWERS IN RETURN!!!!)
    once ur good enough, ull learn power tricks by urself when u link tricks together, ur bound to figure some out. 6 months is nothing man

18. chili pepper
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 01:59:18

Pen Ninja wrote: once ur good enough, ull learn power tricks by urself when u link tricks together, ur bound to figure some out. 6 months is nothing man
    way to belittle all the effort I've managed to cram into six months into 'nothing'. also, try "Once you're good enough, you'll learn power tricks by yourself when you link tricks together. You're bound to figure some out. Six months is nothing, man."

19. kam
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 02:37:29

Penja: you're a good spinner, but what's up with the tension? If he wants to learn power tricks at 6 months (whether that is too soon or not), that is his choice. I have a friend who can't do a Double Bust yet, but he wants to learn Hai Tua. I don't approve of it, but that's his choice...at least it makes him motivated to continue spinning. I personally prefer creative spinning, but it looks like Power Tricks are not gonna go away, so when I see a lot of newcomers getting into Power Tricking, I just hope some of them will incorporate creativity into it. chili: don't let what other people say get to you...It's usually not personal, but the result of many other things that came before you...and you just happened to trigger some unpleasant feelings/memories. My recommendation if someone is negative towards you...ask them 'why' they said that. Try to get to facts rather than opinions. Then you can choose to accept or ignore their suggestions depending on whether or not those make sense. Talking back won't really speed up your progress and may get you warned/banned in the process (if things get too heated and you break rules) Now...let's please get back on topic and avoid the unpleasantness ^^

20. blahblahting
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 02:49:12

i.suk wrote: 1. power spinning is spinning which uses flashy, difficult tricks (typically fl ta - palmspin, hai tua, aerial hai tua, busts, spreads, fl ta, [color=red][B]swivel, twisted cobra bite[/B][/color] variations etc, but can also include bak variations like the ones A13X uses). basically all of these tricks are fingerless
    I refuse to accept swivels and twisted cobra bites as power tricks. edit: errm to clarify, i believe they are a more stylistic thing found in more artistic kinda spinning (dunno how to word :/). twisted cobra bites won't be found used by peem, but you'll see it in pyralux's spinning.

21. i.suk
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 03:02:40

blahblahting wrote: I refuse to accept swivels and twisted cobra bites as power tricks.
    i agree that they're not 'power tricks' in the same way which hai tua and fl ta > palmspin variataions are, but the definition of 'power tricks' is quite wide (and somewhat vague) also, swivels and twisted cobra bite are reasonably flash and difficult...so they are power tricks by that definition. (whether that definition is right, or if it's too wide, is another matter altogether), lol argue with the UPSB wiki. http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=Power_tricks jk in my mind, i have formed this vague 'arrangement' of power tricks: 1. busts, fl ta and spreads (imo these are the 'easier' ones, ofc other spinners may think differently) 2. fl ta > palmspin and aerial variation, hai tua and aerial hai tua (i think these are significantly harder than those in 1., once again my opinion zzz) 3. 'pun new', 'pun kan' and variations of these and stuff in category 2. pushed a level further (once again, these are quite a lot harder than the stuff in previous category) 4. *speculative* insane material which peem may release in WT11?/things i've thought of but don't have skill to do yet while difference in appearance between 2. and 3. may not be that large, the subtle changes make a massive change in difficulty. (this is true for normal spinning too, e.g. you have to look very closely at eriror's linkages to appreciate them) where A13X's crazy pinkybak 2.5 and bakriser/spin variations go in, idk. i'm not sure where swivels and twisted cobra bite go either, but these are clearly different to the aforementioned groupings...also olii makes twisted cobra bite and swivels look like power tricks imo

22. k-ryder
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 03:49:54

i think what isuk posted were "thai style" tricks, powertricks could be said to be the heirarchy step above that powertricking and thai style have become almost synonymous, but if i were to formally define this, i would say there is "powertricks" and under that there are smaller subcatergories, such as "bust/haitua/spread (thai) style" "supercrazybaks" and "tw cobra bite/swivel/(hand movements)"