UPSB v4

Off-topic / Penspinning Marketing Technique

1. SJ
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 07:20:16

[video=youtube;Q7JcBaOc1GI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7JcBaOc1GI&feature=sub[/video] if you haven't seen it, it's a new penspinning commercial starring minwoo. I am sure you know he has done quite a few in the past. It has come to my attention if this marketing technique is actually effective or not. I mean, penspinning is eye-catching at first to practically everyone which is why this marketing technique is probably deemed effective. However, the pens he spin the commercials aren't very spinnable if you know what I am saying. So, if the consumers actually buy the pens and attempt to spin like he does, they will fail obviously. Would they buy another pen they saw in a ps commercial next time when they see one? That is questionable. My question is, is this marketing technique good for the long run? side notes 1. consider that a normal consumer will not actually practice hours to get a ps trick down. 2. the new commercial is very well made...good music, editing, etc 3. that pen has a nice color! 4. is that just a regular pencil? 5. why is penspinning so popular in germany.......quite a few commercials! and how come minwoo is the one thats in them all the time? cuz hes the most well known?

2. Hirako
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 11:03:49

-> 4. is that just a regular pencil? Actually it's not a "normal pencil." Taichi1082 has translated everything what is said about the pen in his blog. http://www.psws-blog.de/2010/11/13/staedtler-wopex-minwoo-pv-2/?lang=en#

3. Detoxification
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 11:46:29

Its a little bit too long for a commercial! I dont think that this come in German TV! I think nobody will buy exactly this pencil because they NoPenSpinner are thinking that they can do this with each other pencil! Its more a commercial for PenSpinning than Staedtler!!

4. Hirako
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 12:09:53

Detoxification wrote: Its a little bit too long for a commercial! I dont think that this come in German TV!
    As far as I know it was made for the YOU Messe in Berlin. It was shown there over and over again. It's not made for TV :D

5. k-ryder
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 12:22:31

i'm assuming you're asking about the effectiveness of pen spinning in making consumers buy the said product, right? (sorry, mind is a bit out right now) most people know that pen spinning isn't a natural skill you can do in one or two goes and by what i see, this isn't an ad for a "pen spinning pen" rather using pen spinning to advertise said pen advertising a "pen spinning pen" is say an advertisement for the spinz range this is different, its the same as using hip hop dance to sell shoes, or skate boarding for a t-shirt brand they are trying to attach a certain lifestyle to the product. taichi says its not a "normal" pencil, but its just an "advanced" pencil, but has nothing to do with improving pen spinning skills what i think stadler is doing is that they are attaching pen spinning, with the connotations of "skill" and possibly "hi-tech(ninja)", to the pencil this technique is called lifestyle advertising, where they say "if you buy this product, you can *feel* this way" nothing about you can do this (possibly a little, but the average consumer is smart enough to recognise it) as a strategy (or now an extention of a former strategy), pen spinning wont hamper sales maybe after the novelty wears off (ie. other companies start using psing, then unrelated companies like coca cola use it to cash in), then it might see a decline, yes. then again, these advertisements will probably help psing onto the mainstream level, possibly becoming accepted as a "common" hobbie along with skateboarding/street dance/wot not, with every 11 year old going through the "pen spinning stage" then i think using psing as a technique will continue, much like using skate to advertise sorry if this post was too ranty, or long, but i think you get the idea, and i've blurted out all i wanted :)

6. neXus
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 12:53:31

SJ wrote: 5. why is penspinning so popular in germany.......quite a few commercials! and how come minwoo is the one thats in them all the time? cuz hes the most well known?
    I'm not sure why PenSpinning is used in quite so many German ads but I guess it could be because Roberts clip for phone company E-Plus started it and pen companies saw that it could work for their commercials as well. The reason Minwoo is in all of them is probably that he has been in commercials before. If as a producer you see someone in a commercial that you want in your commercial you go find out who made that commercial and ask for that persons management/number. Also it doesn't hurt that he is rather photogenic.

7. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 15:58:24

However, the pens he spin the commercials aren't very spinnable if you know what I am saying. So, if the consumers actually buy the pens and attempt to spin like he does, they will fail obviously.
    uhhh i think even if he used a mod, ppl who actually buy that mod and attempt to spin like he does will also fail obviously... the pen doesn't matter

8. Pari
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 20:17:48

Yeah, I do think the same, people will find more in the internet before they will try to do simple trick. And slower or faster they will find out that spinning with pencil is really hard to do. Of course those will be people who really want to learn this, not those, that are pretending to spin, and think that they are funny.

9. Colin
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 23:53:22

I dont mean to be a hater, but this is probably one of the stupidest commercials ive seen. he walks around to RANDOM places, and starts spinning.

10. zweebna
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 23:56:38

I wish I was better at penspinning. Then I could get as much ass as Minwoo.

11. blahblahting
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 02:23:54

damn he must make more money than me, awonw, mitch, lanaro, amp3d and yocuppajoe spinning in the streets of berkeley COMBINED edit/to add: idk, from a pser standpoint, i thought it was lulz... *slomo tf charge reverse to fl ta rev* little kid: HOLY SHIT 0_0