UPSB v4

Philosophy / Inktube or No Inktube - That is the question.

1. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 03:06:33

I make a point of making all of my mods able to write, as in tube insert able and writable in one way or another, but I find adding an ink tube as a regular part of the mod really cuts down on momentum and makes the pen feel less spinable, and don't have to risk the ink exploding and ruining your pen. However then you can be caught in the embarrassing situation of explaining that your "pen" can not write. Or even if it can explaining that the "tips" are only for weight/aesthetics. Do you choose to ink tube or not and why?

2. Riley
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 03:20:40

I don't really care if I have one or not. Most of the time when I'm spinning a mod in class, and I have to write something, I just switch to my pen/pencil. When they ask if my pen can even write (my mod), I just say, "Nope." Lol.

3. KTrinh93
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 03:24:27

I basically do what Riley does. I spin a buster which obviously doesn't write and generally i write with a pencil which i carry around school along with a bic round stick grip if i want to write in pen. it's only three things to carry in that pocket (plus some other small things) which isn't really that inconvenient.

4. k-ryder
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 03:48:42

adding inktubes can hamper momentum/spinning i usually carry my dc mod (which can't write) and an mx with reversed inktube for school ballpoints dont spill/explode as easily as gel ink or felt tip, and i haven't had a problem with carrying the mx in my pockets if you are going to carry a writable mod, i suggest ballpoint ink, most mods can be modified so that an rsvp or bic round stic ink fits

5. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 03:50:44

I've had bad experiences with exploding ballpoints... lost more than a couple good mods that way ;-;

6. Twine
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 04:31:24

I always remove ink after my comssa had a spillage in class :L

7. miyat
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 05:05:50

No ink, dont spin in school. So doesnt really matter. I dont like it when ink explodes. And yeah it give better mmt and less weight.

8. Quai
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 06:19:34

There was this one time when i was spinning in my classroom then my MX's ink exploded everywhere. I got so embarrassed i removed inktubes from all of my mods with inktubes in it. but i carry a g2 incase i have to write in class.

9. Jamal
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 14:24:56

ink in my bictory exploded But luckily it all stayed inside the body so im still writing and spinning with it lol

10. o2gulo
    Date: Fri, Nov 19 2010 04:08:14

I have my inktube and hasnt exploded yet (but it will, soon..) (bictory mod :D) BUt its annoying when i have to remove the cap when writing.

11. EliteN00Bz
    Date: Fri, Dec 31 2010 16:31:26

Most of my mods don't have an Inktube, only my mx has one

12. Bam!
    Date: Fri, Dec 31 2010 17:40:58

i hate it when i spin mods with inktubes and it makes noises -_-

13. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Fri, Dec 31 2010 18:12:22

Always take a pen with me that can write. I usually have a retractable MX or something like that with me to write/spin with. Nothing more stupid than to explain to someone that your pen actually can't write because otherwise you can't spin it well.

14. strat1227
    Date: Tue, Jan 11 2011 19:12:13

Erirornal Kraione wrote: Nothing more stupid than to explain to someone that your pen actually can't write because otherwise you can't spin it well.
    This is the core of the issue to me. If we get to the point where we have to carry around mods because we can't spin pens well, then ... well... we're not pen spinning any more. it's as simple as that. The way I always looked at it was I use a mod for videos and battles and stuff because it makes you spin better, but to carry a mod to school is stupid because you're not battling there (usually), so there's no reason to not just spin what you normally write with. It's gotten to the point now that most people CAN'T spin what they normally write with, so at that point they're not Pen Spinners anymore.

15. MaSter_MiND_
    Date: Tue, Jan 11 2011 21:38:20

Well, not everyone has a pen, which is suitable for PS. E.g. in Germnay nearly everyone uses a fountain pen for writing (it is demanded by the school). And they are very off balanced and if you drop them a lot of ink is spread around. But well, most people have ink erasers, too (like Super Pirats), which are good to spin with. I often spin a grip- and inkless DC Ballsing, which is (in some cases) even harder to spin with, compared to a normal pen. The only advantage of this mod is, that it is balanced (but you can't write with it). Dr. Grips and SuperGrips are my favourite "no-mod"-pens to spin with. greets MM

16. Cloud
    Date: Sat, Jan 15 2011 21:58:18

i almost never use ink. I carry around my buster, a pen, and a pencil in my pocket.

17. Soren
    Date: Wed, Feb 23 2011 21:19:02

unless it is a retractable mod then no inktube

18. akitaka
    Date: Thu, Feb 24 2011 02:09:30

It's always embarrassing when somebody grabs your comssa, yanks off the cap, and only finds teflon tape.

19. blahblahting
    Date: Thu, Feb 24 2011 02:40:50

i'm not going to address the whole school pen thing. from a pure spinning standpoint, i always take the ink out. No inktube => less center-heavy => more weight concentrated on ends => more momentum => better spin

20. Sc00t
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 02:22:41

strat1227 wrote: This is the core of the issue to me. If we get to the point where we have to carry around mods because we can't spin pens well, then ... well... we're not pen spinning any more. it's as simple as that. The way I always looked at it was I use a mod for videos and battles and stuff because it makes you spin better, but to carry a mod to school is stupid because you're not battling there (usually), so there's no reason to not just spin what you normally write with. It's gotten to the point now that most people CAN'T spin what they normally write with, so at that point they're not Pen Spinners anymore.
    harsh. but yeah i can do fundamental combos with inverses/reverses and back/arounds with a pen, namely my upsb RSVP pen.. but fancy tricks only with a mod.. am i still a pen spinner? i can't do my best tricks without a mod.

21. TremorsPS
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 03:04:24

My inktube exploded one time when i was spinning my MX and it stayed in the barrel but i still need to clean the body and the cap because the ink might spill. If you want your pens to be writable,use clear bodies so you can see if the inktube is going to explode. ex of clear bodies: RSVP,G3,etc. Avoid Using Writable Mods with colored body.

22. AKS
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 05:41:47

I think if we want to spinning in class, we have to carry some pens. ex one pen is pen mod without inktube, and other is for writing in class.

23. Mage In Black
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 06:31:59

All my pens wire. It's pretty much required for any pens I spin. It just doesn't feel like a pen if it doesn't write. And after a while, I get used to spinning with ink inside. My SX had 2 inktubes inside :D (it wrote from both ends).

24. Fl0wingfire
    Date: Tue, May 24 2011 22:20:24

I carry around a mechanical pencil and a bictory around, so if I have everything covered, whether I have to write in pen or pencil

25. MadHatter
    Date: Sat, Jun 4 2011 15:23:02

I use my PS pen in class so I keep the inktube.

26. EliteN00Bz
    Date: Sun, Jun 5 2011 09:19:57

AKS wrote: I think if we want to spinning in class, we have to carry some pens. ex one pen is pen mod without inktube, and other is for writing in class.
    ^ that

27. Soren
    Date: Sun, Jun 26 2011 17:28:48

no inktube, because pen mods are for pen spinning, it doesnt have to actually be able to write a pen mod's purpose is to aid someone in pen spinning, unless of course you make a retractable mod, then the pen mod serves two purposes

28. Cubesnail
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 02:01:16

Well if it doesn't have an ink tube, by definition it really isn't pen spinning is it? Pen: An instrument for writing or drawing with ink, typically consisting of a metal nib or ball, or a nylon tip, fitted into a metal or plastic holder

29. Raptor
    Date: Wed, Jun 13 2012 09:10:42

my rsvp mx exploded. Good thing I don't drop my pens that much anymore. I was a noob then.

30. ItsNick
    Date: Wed, Jun 13 2012 09:42:13

yeap..Mechanical Pencils only..since the ink will ****ing explode...hate it

31. Kcom2002
    Date: Sun, Jun 24 2012 06:50:34

Ink tubes in my opinion, are bad for mods. They can spill, explode and even make the balance slightly off due to the metal part being on one side and also the ink all on one side. They are very messy if they spill and are hard to clean up. They also sometimes make an annoying rattling sound.

32. Eternity
    Date: Mon, Jun 25 2012 02:45:04

I never have the problems of exploding ink tubes. Not with mods, at least. (my Zhigao exploded -.-) Personally, I have nothing against mods with inktubes, but I don't really have a preference. If a mod can't write but can spin, yay! If it can write AND can spin, double yay! The ability to write with it is just an added bonus :P

33. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Mon, Jun 25 2012 03:58:58

I heard markers feel better with the inktube, like M&M's, but I just take them out cause they feel pretty center heavy.

34. Colbyy
    Date: Wed, Jul 4 2012 01:48:33

For MXs and most mods with a marker barrel (esp. comssas) i leave in the inktube. Without the inktube for comssas, they're waaay to light.

35. Deveroux
    Date: Fri, Jul 6 2012 03:25:03

I find it better with inktubes. It makes it easier to be able to spin and write with the same pen. And besides, it's fun to have the 'special' pen that everyone's jealous of ^_^

36. BriGuyC
    Date: Thu, Apr 18 2013 02:46:29

I put the inktube on so the teachers won't confiscate it. (never happened but just in case.) And because I REALLY don't wanna go around carrying 2 pens.

37. Cstarnes35
    Date: Thu, Apr 18 2013 16:22:13

I have a metal comssa with ink and a signo gripped and tipped bictory without ink for home so that I can spin well when I need to. I only take my bictory to school though and I usually keep one in my bag with grips on the end and one in my pocket without grips and I keep ink in both of those so that I can write in class and have a decent pen to spin. So I guess for me it depends on the setting more than the pen.

38. spyb0y1
    Date: Thu, May 23 2013 08:50:35

I find that after a while, the pen stops writing anyway, perhaps something to do with the spinning. As for the other issue, mods are still made of pens, sooo....

39. akshay
    Date: Mon, Jun 10 2013 12:15:33

spin a mod with no ink tube and if someone asks tell them the ink might spill because i spin so fast :P as simple as that. btw i know this thread is old.

40. abandonctrl
    Date: Tue, Apr 29 2014 06:18:00

Yeah I could never figure this out, to me it just feels better to take I out knowing that it won't spill out while I practice. Being a new spinner it great to hear peoples prospective on this matter.

41. jaredftw
    Date: Tue, Apr 29 2014 08:21:24

My Personal mod exploded when it was inside my pocket. The problem was, I cut the ink tube to make it shorter but now I replaced it and it doesn't spill/explode whenever I spin.

42. Solaire
    Date: Thu, Jul 24 2014 23:36:58

I write left and spin right so i usually use a G2 in one hand and my Yelo mod in the other :) sooo no inktube for me.. unless its an MX or S360 or emboss mod., sometimes comssa