UPSB v4

Approved Tutorials / PPM

1. purplet
    Date: Mon, Nov 8 2010 21:07:54

=========================== Stats: =========================== [SIZE="4"][B]PPM[/B][/SIZE] Length:21,5cm Weight:16g Style:NA Writing-Mechanism:none Ink-Type:none Estimated-Cost:NA =========================== Materials List: =========================== [2] HGG (grips only) [2] G2 (body+front+clicker) I use G2 fakes, the body is a bit different wich u will notice on the pictures [1] Uni-Ball Signo (tip only) [1] Pilot G3 (tip only) [2] Zebra Hyperjell (cap, part of grip) optional: [1] Sailor Gel Pen (grip only) =========================== Tutorial: ===========================

Spoiler Step0: Tools and how to use them All i used for this mod was a swiss knife, but u can of course do better. To cut the grips check AlikebabĀ“s tutorial(s) on cutting grips @youtube and then use some really sharp tool, i.e. a scalpel or ec acto knife. How do i cut the body and cap parts? Obviously u can use some kind of fine saw, if u can handle it its working fine. I use the same method as MacGuyver does, i heat up the knife and cut the stuff, be it a pen body or human bones. After cutting always sand, sanding is the key to nice cuts, though the worse u cut the more u have to sand. Step1: Cut off the back part of the G2 Body. If u dont know where check the Body closely, theres a small number on it near the end. Cut directly behind this number so u get the most length out of the g2 body. Step2: Repeat Step1 with another G2 Body. Step3: Cut the first G2 front part. Winding: Cut after ~7mm Front: Cut after 2,9cm Step4: Cut the second G2 front part. Winding: Cut after ~7mm Front: Cut after 8mm Step5: Cut the first Hyperjell Cap. Cut off the back right below the bubbles. The cap should have 3,6cm now. Step6: Cut the second Hyperjell Cap. Cut off some of the lower part. The cap should have 4,5cm now. The cap should have 3,6cm Step7: Cut some grip rings out of Hyperjell, Sailor, Anyball (if the colors and uv got it i would/will use anyballs). I cut mine about 3-4mm each, u can use any width u want, u could also take a single grip. The three rings (or the single grip) should cover about 1cm. Step8: Assembly a) Screw the first g2 front part into the first g2 body. File down the G2 clicker enough that u can stick if firmly into the first g2 front part. Glue the G3 tip on the G2 clicker. Insert clicker+tip in the g2 front part. Wrap some tape around the g2 front part. Push the first HGG grip over clicker+tip+first g2 front. Push the first Hyperjell Cap over clicker+tip+first g2 front. Check if the HJ Cap sits firm, if it doesnt u have to wrap some more tape around the first g2 front. b)Screw the second g2 front part into the second g2 body. Wrap some tape around the second g2 front part. Insert signo tip to the hgg grip. Insert hgg grip+signo tip into the second Hyperjell Cap. Push the Hyperjell cap with grip and tip inside where u wrapped tape around the second g2 front part. c)Now u have to connect the two parts of the pen. I cant tell u how to do it, if u come by some better method let me know. I enhance the insert mid with some broad clear tape(tesa). Then i wrap it around some empty inktube thickened by some tape(electrical tape). If done right insert+inktube will connect the g2 body parts well, if its too loose u have to put more tape on, if its too thick well it wont fit in and u have to remove some tape. Attention: U have to have the tesa side inside because its slippery, with the pure paper outside its gonna hold nicely:) Step9: Final Steps a)Pens differ in weight, tape differ in weight, metal tips differ in weight. After finishing, u must check if cop is cog. If it isnt u add some tape or grip to the light side. Ur mod is cop:cog now? Fine. b)The next step to be made is a descicion, do u like the weight and do u need grips on the cap/front? U can add any grip u like as long asu add the same amount on both sides, giving the mod a nice boost on momentum wich is great for practise or if u like heavy pens. A reasonable amount of dr.grip grip on each side will add 3g of weight (1,5g ea) leading to 19g total weight and killer momentum. If u like Buster Cyl do this, if u dont use other grip, sarasa in a nice fitting color could be a nice asset but i dont have any to try it, i use some black noname grip to get the mod to ~18g sometimes. c)you can use some flexible body of course. Simply change the g2 body parts with flexible body, i.e. u can simply screw the g2 front parts winding inside a miffy Body, though in this case u should not cut the winding at alle. d)Feel free to shorten the body if u feel like it, its ur mod not mine. e)Have Phun!
    =========================== Q/A: ===========================

2. walrus
    Date: Mon, Nov 8 2010 21:59:29

i like the insert T___T how much does it cost? i know it says N/A but can you find out? not bad color scheme and i like the idea that theres a section of the hyperjell cap in the front of the pen =D nice job, though the pen does look a little plain... >.> [B]IMO[/B]

3. purplet
    Date: Tue, Nov 9 2010 18:33:21

First and most important, u could follow the steps? Im not sure if its enough pics but i hope theres no need for more since i tried to keep the mod as simple as possible and i hope iv got that^^ If u want it to look different u can change the look, use different grips and there u are, i like clean look but also i use some black grips at both ends for some added weight. I.e. u could copy the kuzu (or nachoaddicts sc mod as well as many others^^)looks like everybody does, the hj cap in front can be exchanged with grip and if its hgg or signo dx grip below that doesnt matter. The same goes for the color sheme, i will mod one orange+lightgreen the next few weeks and everybody should mod the colors he like the most, i dont want to write a tutorial and explain on how u have to order ur grips or wich colors u should choose. Id really love to see some nice different looks/colors of the mod:) INsert: http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=insert9i4c.png I use this atm, ill work on this but i cant print colored so thats going to take a while. The price depends on what u have to pay. Lets take penwish price: Hyperjellx2=4usd Pilot G2=1usd (half the price since the body is mostly a spare part^^) Signo tip=50cent G3 tip=50cent 4ring sailor grip=50cent ------------- 6,5usd

4. M:O:N:R:E:O
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 15:19:37

It seems to me that it is better to use Jimnie cap) What do you think?

5. Froggy
    Date: Fri, Nov 19 2010 15:30:28

This is just a personal opinion on mods. But I think many people's mind are restricted to what the tutorial is showing them how to mod certain mods. For example, if we take an Lakubo SG mod (http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=Lakubo_mod) People would go hunt down Lakubo and Supergel. They won't go and perhaps use Lakubo and.. Hyper Jell. Because what they want (I think) is originality. But the problem is whats above. A tutorial is just showing you how to mod "this pen" But it doesnt mean you cant change certain things, for better looking or spins better. It all comes down to personal preference. But yeah, get creative and dont be restricted by tutorials. Your mods are yours, you can do whatever you want with it. PrinceXD~

M:O:N:R:E:O wrote: It seems to me that it is better to use Jimnie cap) What do you think?

6. purplet
    Date: Fri, Nov 19 2010 19:10:08

Yesterday iv got my lightgreen anyballs and i tried lightgreen+orange with g3 cap at the back. I had two reasons to use g3, first is that i already use the (mostly spare) g3 tip why dont use the (rarely used) g3 cap instead of cutting another HJ cap (beeing used in nearly any g3 mod^^). After i finished i was amazed that the pen still was cop=cog with a different cap at the back. I believe u can take any cap that u like, prolly no rsvp but rsvp retractable caps should work. If u feel like cutting Jimnie classic caps please do it and post a picture, it could really look better then hj because of its rounded end. I used the HJ because i had them and because they worked well, now im not sure if im gonna go on using HJ or G3 at the end. G3 on the front does work, but it doesnt work as well as well as hyperjell. Signo broad cap on the front does work as good as hj, this also is a matter of preference. @PrinceXD: I think similar to u, theres to much fanboi hype about how mods are done right^^ U use another example though, my example is the Dr.KT. Even though its the same pen the people care about giving different names, dr.ac, dr.ct, dr.kt, fanboi kt (bonkurakt...) and then they discuss why dr.ac is better then dr.kt.

7. whizz
    Date: Fri, Nov 19 2010 20:22:25

If you sell your mods (as I do, and many others too), then, if you name your mod as "Dr. AC", the customer knows for sure what he's going to pay for. That's why they may be disappointed because of that shit you've sent them instead of what they wanted. E.g. if you assembled "Dr.AC" with Airfit grips that were spare after you've made Buster CYL with Airfit Gel tips and some unknown backplug, and you're going to sell your Dr.AC to some noob, then you take a crappy pic of your crappy mod using a camera on your mobile phone, which is produced back in 1998, and the customer may not notice that you're going to send, or they may be just a noob, and after some time they will argue you and your reputation will be crashed forever, and that'll be totally fair. So, to restrict this kind of accidents, you're not to make shitty mods, not to call them what you want and surely not to sell them to anybody. Another argument for my point of view is that both Bonkura CT and Dr.KT are great, and even though they use almost the same parts, they spin very differently, so it's much easier to call what you want instead of typing "Dr.KT without Sailors, but with Japanese Dr. Grip grips instead" every time you wanna mention it. Also, Dr.KT and Dr.AC are very different, just try both and you'll see. To be not totally off-topic, I wanna say that Jimnie caps will look much better, IMO, and it won't change the spinability at all, but it's out of production, so, if I were you, I'd rather use them wisely. Try to make PPM with HJ caps, and only then cut your Jimnies.

8. Mu3ic
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 13:04:07

Really nice mod might make it.... just need HGG

9. Rarity
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 09:12:11

Just a question. Why is the mod called PPM?

10. Froggy
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 09:48:24

I'm curious too. He name his mod in a "weird" fashion great eg: Glenn Matthews... HAHAHA PrinceXD

Night Fury wrote: Just a question. Why is the mod called PPM?

11. i.suk
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 09:58:18

Night Fury wrote: Just a question. Why is the mod called PPM?
    PPM for Purplet's Personal Mod

12. Rarity
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 12:12:09

lol... he could have called it something more creative than that for this awesome mod. :D

13. Nachoaddict
    Date: Wed, Dec 15 2010 00:03:59

Sometimes simple things are the most creative

14. sarugio
    Date: Thu, Dec 16 2010 03:20:09

why you take the HJ clip? i think it will look much better with the clip

15. purplet
    Date: Tue, Dec 21 2010 01:36:24

Thats personal preference, i like it without the clip. Im still struggeling in wether to take hj, jimnie or g3 but i think g3 is winning.

16. Rarity
    Date: Thu, Dec 23 2010 01:13:00

its it COG = COP?

17. purplet
    Date: Tue, Dec 28 2010 23:44:52

Its the most cog=cop that u can get, both halves are the same length and the same weight.

18. Oow
    Date: Tue, Jan 18 2011 20:12:05

Could you somehow show a picture of how you connected the G2 parts. I can't really understand from your tutorial =)

19. purplet
    Date: Wed, Jan 19 2011 08:59:16

1) I used broad tape on the insert backside in order to get it stable. 2) I took the G2 inktube (about 5cm of it), wrapped tape around it to thicken it. 3) i wrapped the insert around the thickened inktube and slid the body parts on to it. Its the same thing u do with i.e. Stek Body, its more work though because u have to get the thickness of the inktube right. Theres a way i though off, simply superglue (u have to get one wich doesnt damage the plastic) the halves together and then slide the insert and inktube in. This way you dont need it to be exactly thick enough to hold the halves together. Couldnt try it yet since i didnt go to a hardware store the last month and i dont have plastic superglue@home:(

20. NJSpinner
    Date: Fri, Feb 25 2011 04:47:50

This mod is like OMG

21. Rabbid
    Date: Sun, May 1 2011 03:53:53

Nice insert:3

22. Syrti
    Date: Thu, Nov 3 2011 10:59:41

Definitely one of the best Sc-Mods ever created. Spins so awesome *.*

23. Tommy
    Date: Wed, Apr 3 2013 09:56:27

iinteresting