UPSB v4

Advanced Tricks / The use of space / Rhythm ~ Michael Moschen / Penspinning concepts (glowsticking)

1. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 07:13:17

http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_moschen_juggles_rhythm_and_motion.html Application starts at [B]22 Minutes.[/B] ~ 25 This is where he is discussing rhythym/balance As you can see, utilizing vertical balance in pen spinning could be easily transffered. Vertical stalls, and tricks involving taps on the tiip of the pen rather than bouncing the body. Next you will see him demonstrate some isolation, while pens aren't quite as long, this same thing could be could be done with ones fingers and a pen. The flipping section is next, this is another easily transferable concept. and could lead to intresting and unique results. Again, these are larger sticks but you will see he uses some "pen spinning" / baton tricks. In fact this final section seems very easily applicable as many of the tricks he does for his transfers are already present in pen spinning just a differen't application _____ On another note, I still do not see why more glowsticking technique is not used in penspinning, The hand glowsticking community,primarily focused on isolations have many beautiful patterns which could easily be applied to pen spinning. [video=youtube;3JOkL4iUyVI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JOkL4iUyVI[/video] Instead of focusing on the pen itself you could also focus on the hands and the body, not only in style but, without rotation of pen at all, the glowsticking is much more involved with the whole body. Most penspinning full body is awkward, by imploring baton, dance, and simply glowsticking or juggling isolations it makes penspinning a much more visual and interactive art, you're still doing it for yourself but it brings penspinning out of rotations conics and circular motion and into other shapes and the imagination, the use of wrist rolls and balance and isolation should help lead down a new path for spinners and really increase the diversity and application of pen spinning to the stage and outside the realm of the desk. Current tricks are, put simply hard, consistancy isn't always 100% because pen spinning has grown inwards towards finger dexterity, this is all good, but by expanding as well, not only do you decrease the need for such accuracy, you also build more diverse styles and trick combinations. One thing I do notice that is absent in finger dexterity is rolling movement, this could also be another avenue in which arm/ finger rolls (roll from palm to top of hand like in contact juggling, or in a different manner) or from palm to tip to spin could be implemented in another trick subcategory as well. Also pen location relative COG, and hand, like mass inside and the outside of the hand, there aren't many tricks ( saw a concept once) about the switching of this... I also don't believe 2p1h multi pens in one hand ever reached its potential. A greater focus on mind play, throwing in an unexpected trick or movement, isolations lend to more creativty and less focus on the the hand itself. This could lead to many things like street preformance, the creation of artwork (pen/brush on canvas) with the use of hand arm and body movement. 3 dimensions of movement & more to pen spinning. Or perhaps the use of pens to manipulate another object, perhaps a curved mod, or the use of pens to manipulate another pen. ________ This is where I personally would like to see pen spinning expand into, it's a lot of possibilities and what's great is, that it CAN happen, all of these tricks and concepts already exist and are out there right now, a whole new ground for new tricks and addition to the way we view pen spinning. The thing is we have the conics down and the passes and the basic pen manipulations when it comes to the fingers, by expanding to other parts of the body you open up much more (pens are small, and will probably always stay IN the hands, but the hands don't have to stay put) possibility when it comes to tricks and combinations. A simple charge in a isolated pattern or loop, or stil creating holds for the pen in which you can manipulate the hand rather than the pen, using aerials, more effectivley and using balance and stalls in a new way. Isolations, not only within tricks but up, and having isolations as tricks as well... Of course, pen spinning has its roots at the desk, and perhaps it should stay there, but there is still more space to work with, you have the whole plane, a good upper half of your body, you can play with [B]sound[/B] repition, bounce,balance, rolling. However we use pens, and writing instruments everywhere, standing up and painting... there is more around us. ---- Anyways, I hope this gives you some ideas/inspiration :). If you are new, or old and are looking for something new these are all great places to explore.

2. k-ryder
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 08:54:46

shoeman, you always seem to be busting out articles and threads and what not, but (to my knowledge) i dont see you making concept videos.... (not a critisism, just a suggestion) i think the easiest thing to work on is the waterfall fingerpass (i just named it then, i like it, i want it to stick XD) continuing the fingerpass from one hand to another, simple concept, i've been practicing it for a couple of minutes, needs smoothing up, but it seems it can be easily incorporated into a combo, particularly as a transfer but i do think utilising more space, or better utilisation of space is a good next step most combos are static around a fix point, working the whole screen space will create more interest, and a new level of creativity why i say this is because pen spinning as a street art isn't that efficient (for the lack of a better word) glow sticking, baton twirling, juggling etc. you use your whole body, and you can easily see what they are doing with pen spinning, you need to focus on the fingers and the pen is smaller, so its not as viable in an open performance, as the audience cannot clearly seeing what you are doing for public spinning, i think you would need a camera anyway, so knowing where the camera is, the framing and how to effectively utilise is important for me, i dont see pen spinning moving into involving the whole body the focus on finger dexterity, hence the need to look closely at the fingers means that wide angle or public viewing will have to compromise the close up i'm not saying we can't have isolations/rolls/whatnot incorporated, but large aerials, elbow pops, and wide arm movements make the conic tricks hard to see pyralux is a good example, because of his arm movements, the camera has to accomodate this, and hence you aren't sure what he is doing (trick wise) i love pyralux's style, but i think the middle ground between his style and concrete, close up camera spinning is the next step spinners like stuhl and ponkotu come to mind, able to move around in the given space, but not being forced to compromise the visibility and "identificability" of individual tricks

3. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 16:43:36

some of these ideas have been discussed before all the stuff about isolation, strat worked on it, that sort of stuff is all part of the spinless family which is starting to get popular. many people are against spinless though, think it's not real pen spinning. the sound stuff, you are right it is not being exploited. sound is only interesting if you can keep up a pattern. this requires tremendous amount of control and affects the smoothness of your regular tricks. maybe in a few years ppl will be good enough to do that. right now not many ppl have that level of control and if they do, they might now be aware of these techniques or don't have the motivation to practice them. the main barrier against full body stuff is the setup problem. if you decide to include them, you commit yourself to having an angle where your pen appears smaller, so this is not so good for regular spinning. like you said, the best stuff is things you can include at the desk, and to me the best are bounces on desk or possibly some wall or obstacle put on the boundaries of the screen (like a binder or something). this is starting to be used, but i think ppl have a lack of control or practice so they can't get it smooth yet.