UPSB v4

General Discussion / Why no CYL for newbie spinners?

1. Bam!
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 02:56:05

When I started some years ago, btw, when was the buster cyl invented? I started spinning around that time when the cyl was popular. And i wanted the pen, but yet they prevented me from using a cyl. since it was too heavy. We want things easier, like why would you walk by foot from US to china if you can get there by plain. Things like that. Like Don't drive a ferrari, since you would not be able to drive slower cars in the future.

2. KTrinh93
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 03:34:35

The use of busters by newer spinners is frowned upon mainly because that most people think that it's wrong for a new spinner to jump automatically to a really heavy pen. Not only will a buster KILL the newbies' hands, but it will also pretty much make pen spinning a lot harder in the long run. While tricks might be easier to learn on a buster than on other pens, part of pen spinning is working and practicing to get the trick right. Most beginners shouldn't take the "easy way out" so to speak just because they don't want to learn the trick or they don't want to put forth the effort to learn it on another mod. I know for me personally, I don't like it when newbies use a buster because (most of the time) they can't even do squat with it. Can you imagine what a 2 month spinning a buster would look like? Not very appealing imo. I just think that busters should be one of those pens that you sort of get "promoted" to use after you reach a certain difficulty level. There really isn't anything wrong with spinning a metallic comssa for a beginner. Respectively, a metallic comssa (hgg or signo tipped) would have PLENTY of weight and momentum for someone who's just learning how to spin. There really is no reason why someone should choose to pick up a buster and learn the fundamentals from that. They are just killing their hands with that. Before I got my buster I've been spinning for about a year and my hands were still sore after spinning it for maybe 10 minutes and I can't imagine what it must be like for new spinners trying to learn tricks with a buster when their hands are nowhere near flexible enough or strong enough. It's the equivalent of a 5 year old trying to pick up a 30 pound weight just because he sees his dad lifting that. You have to build your way up, it can't be physically healthy to jump to the heaviest pen right away.

3. Jamal
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 03:37:50

tl;dr god damnit people, stop downing my post Anyways, Buster CYL isn't a good pen to use because of what ktrinh said mostly, it kills your hands, and kills your style, so you wont even be able to do a simple combo with a pen such as a metal comssa, it will feel like a feather.

4. JackyMacky
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 03:42:59

actually, he's got a point. cuz i went from very light no.2 pencil with eraser caps up to buster cyl. my hand felt like i played tennis or bowling for the first time. u noe how like u play the Wii too much until ur wrist feels funny the next day, it feels like that but even worse. X_X

5. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 03:47:18

It teaches poor technique, it does not represent the values of penspinning, and most people who learn using a cyl do not learn many of the helpful lessons and skills penspinning can teach you through struggle and practice. On a personal note, I have noticed many heavy spinners come and go much faster than those who have invested time into learning pen spinning. As KT said, there are health effects as well, I know a KT for me, even after 2 years of spinning became an issue where I got hand aches and pains which made me stop for a couple months.With a bustercyl your control over the pen decreases and you lose the ability to spin normal pens, I see nothing wrong with a Bustercyl being used as a performance pen, as it can increase accuracy, and maybe as a pen for very advanced tricks where you need that extra momentum to get the trick in the first place to get a feel, before going on to a normal sized mod. However, it simply isn't neccesary or beneficial as a primary or practice pen. (unless you have huuuge muscular hands). It's better to learn master and practice with a pen that gives you difficulty, not to say a bustercyl will do the tricks for you, but there is such thing as "too easy" On the other hand, learning with a bustercyl, you see many new spinners able to control the flow of momentum and direction of power tricks much more successfully than those who began with normal pens, however you find the basic tricks may not be pulled off as smoothly or skillfully at first, again, a pen is a pen is a pen, there is nothing wrong with the mod per say, except that it is overkill, many new spinners being ignorant, at no fault to themselves assume that the easier the better, but the fundamentals are basic and can be learnt with any pen, I find myself NOT spinning the bustercyl not because I hate it or think I'm better than it, I find a signo tipped mod to be sufficient and perhaps better than the cyl, I find my self going to the cyl if I'm trying to figure out a complex power trick, but it really detracts from practice rather than helps it as you lose touch and some finer dexterity necessary for pen spinning.

6. k-ryder
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 04:06:42

let me put it like this you're just starting to learn to drive, you have a choice between learning to drive an automatic transmittion, or manual (atleast in australia) you can choose to learn to drive auto, slam your foot down and drive off, great, you get the job done but what if you need (or want) to drive a manual car? even if, say, you learn to drive manual, then only drive an auto once you get your license you get used to the easy, and you may find driving a manual much harder and labourious if you practice a lot of the time with a manual, you'll get used to it, and do everything you can with a auto, in a manual, basically as good as you can with the manual

7. JC
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 05:03:15

Reda: Why didn't you fly to Mecca? It's a lot simpler. The Father: When the waters of the ocean rise to the heavens, they lose their bitterness to become pure again... Reda: What? The Father: The ocean waters evaporate as they rise to the clouds. And as they evaporate they become fresh. That's why it's better to go on your pilgrimage on foot than on horseback, better on horseback than by car, better by car than by boat, better by boat than by plane.
    -Le Grand Voyage (2004)

8. Elune
    Date: Tue, Nov 2 2010 15:27:35

Sorry but ... Using CYL 2 months after beginning PS is ... not good at all ??? OMG, I've have been spinning for 2.5 months and now I'm using a CYL X_X Will it kill my hand or smt ??!

9. spinnerhui
    Date: Tue, Nov 2 2010 17:44:41

...I've just ordered a CYL...spinning for like a year....not that good....should I cancel the deal???? essentially the same question as rae.

10. Pen Ninja
    Date: Tue, Nov 2 2010 22:31:55

spinnerhui wrote: ...I've just ordered a CYL...spinning for like a year....not that good....should I cancel the deal???? essentially the same question as rae.
    1 year isnt rly THAT bad... its still early but most "buster noobs" get a buster at like 3 months.... or start with it

11. Hidekyo
    Date: Tue, Nov 2 2010 22:35:18

Imma order my buster in like 2 years

12. Elune
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 06:12:08

Oh no X_X Well, I have to say that I have no MOD left to spin =.=" My friend gave it to me and I have to use it ... Well, I don't have many choices ... Making an own "good" MOD is beyond my reach just now =.="

13. chris
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 06:59:30

Well, i think you can make up with substitutes for some lighter mods. Or I suggest, you take off the Airfit tips and replace them with signo tips.

14. Twine
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 07:06:35

I love how everyone is trippin' balls now.[B] EVERYONE CALM THE FUCK DOWN!!![/B] Buy your busters and spin them. IF you want to go back to a lighter mod, do it. I spun a buster as main mod from like 8months till 1.5years and now at 2 years I can do shit fine with light mods (MX's, comssas etc.) JezzzZzZzzZzZzzzZZZzzzzZzzZzZZZzZzzZzZzzzzzzzzz

15. neoknux_009
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 07:21:46

while originally i have been agreeing with what everyone has been saying, there is unfortuantly no evidence to fully support that not spinningn a buster is better than spinning a buster to start of with. in JEB, spinners train with Heavy Mods first, then Peroform with MX's. (at least according to sylpheed) However, another theory (which ist he one i believed in and many others) is that once you can spin with a lighter mod then you can more easily do the same trick with a heavy mod . Of cousre we cannot go into extremes and say that spinning a 1 inch pen will make you gerater then all, there is clearly a range in this. id be nice to test this properly.

16. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 07:43:28

Well I have already put my observations... Yes it does make spinning easier, however spinning isn't all about being "easy" it can help you get the trick down but is best when used in combination with practice using a lighter mod.

17. SPRiNGFiELD
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 11:19:49

just... learn to walk before you try to run seriously.. kthxbai

18. Gisele 8
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 13:16:34

there's NO problem AT ALL to spin heavy mod at the beginning. i mean, i did. (kt)

19. JC
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 16:09:36

I think it's just a matter of retaining the purity of "pen"spinning. We all may move to spinning "sticks" at one point or another in the future, but in the beginning, I feel like people have the feeling that it's important to keep pen spinning pure in the sense that people should be spinning "pen" like things... at least in the beginning, when the fundamentals are definitely feasible with MX/comssa/etc.

20. Escorpio123
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 18:47:32

Wow, I started spinning with a regular pencil for about 1 year, also in the meantime I added an eraser in the back of the regular pencil to make it more balanced. After 1 year and half, I made the RSVP MX and it was good, better at some point but it was not balanced, lol. I got a Buster CYL after 2 years of spinning, lol. So my suggestions is: Pencil--Seriously. OR Pencil with 2 erasers. Now if u want a mod then start with.: RSVP MX or METALLIC COMSSA. Buster CYL is indeed heavy but there is also the light version though :)

21. superk777
    Date: Thu, Nov 4 2010 22:38:34

Befor i started, i done many hand excersice like instrument (5 of them) so once i took intrest in pen spinning and started, most mods too light for my muscular fingers so once i got the Buster CYL it was really good... it wasnt heavy for me and i spun that for hours with no problem, not sure about you lot but it all depends on your hand strength.

22. Colin
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 01:05:18

long story short? it makes you rely on heavier mods, and thats not good.

23. WhatsOfTheUp1
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 01:17:16

This might be kinda off-topic, but can i have an estimate as to how much the buster weighs compared to an MX?

24. Tetsip
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 01:22:59

buster= 20g MX=12g @WhatsOfTheUp1

25. AwonW
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 02:25:35

Gisele 8 wrote: there's NO problem AT ALL to spin heavy mod at the beginning. i mean, i did. (kt)
    The question now is: Can you spin light mods well?

26. ArmorKingRulez
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 02:33:04

I actually feel quite inferior now because,i actually used a mod that is about the same length of a buster but way lighter at about the 2nd week i started spinning...i started with a regular pen when learning the fundamentals..

27. WhatsOfTheUp1
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 03:35:30

Tetsip wrote: buster= 20g MX=12g @WhatsOfTheUp1
    HOLY CRAP THATS FREAKIN HEAVY. And an MX feels heavy to me 0.0

28. AoD1
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 05:23:01

all you people who hate on the buster guess what.... your all TRASH!

29. Vaan
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 05:23:55

kill your finger! use buster cyl! too heavy for beginners

30. Elune
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 06:00:11

Well, I used my own MOD (quite poor) for 1 month (and learned all the fundamental trick - except FP rev and Charge rev =.=") Then I used a bit heavier MOD (made by my friend) for nearly 3 weeks ... Finally, I got this CYL, and I've been using it for ... well, quite a week =.=" I feel nothing unusual with my hand :D P/s : Off-topic, but CYL is a short form of ... ?

31. SJ
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 07:53:07

buster is overrated dude... seriously though, all u need when youre just starting is a pencil. think about it, if youre noob at tennis, a very good racket isnt going to make you any better (not saying that buster is a good mod)... just get your basics first and do whatever the hell u want i guess

32. Twine
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 09:48:43

Colin;32909]long story short? it makes you rely on heavier mods, and thats not good.[/QUOTE] Not true. I learnt with buster, I can MX spin like any other JEB person. [QUOTE=AwonW wrote: The question now is: Can you spin light mods well?
    He may not, but why would he want to if he is so great with a heavier mod.

33. neoknux_009
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 10:51:03

@Twine in a general sense heavier mods (within reason) tend to be easier to spin than lighter mods. I view this as true because otherwise the touranment scene would not be dominated by heavier mods, and otherwise "harder" tricks would be done with mx's (or there would be an even distribution between heavy mods and light) Then we ask well if its harder to do tricks than why do we do it? Well this is a matter of preference.... But i will give a reason why spinning lighter mods have a reason, If you were to perform a juggling act while balancing on a bouncy ball (with your feet) its much harder. It adds to the difficulty in many peoples opnion. This can corelate to light mods but this has unfortuantly never been an official judging criteria. others may say for performance purposes, spinning mx's are stupid, its the same trick. well thats true, but when a pen spinner views a combo its much different than to someone else who doesnt, and in official tournaments its pen spinners who are judging the vids. for example, in some tournaments ive seen that lighter mods are judged with higher difficulty, like when minwoo was in the German tournament where he used pencil.

34. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 11:59:29

`also... lighter mods tend to find their roots more in PEN spinning rather than mini baton/stick spinning...

35. Twine
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 21:17:04

The only negative things I find about busters and such is what @shoeman6 mentioned, the whole not a pen thing. All in all from me is: 1. Busters are not bad for noobs, they make learning tricks easier which can later be mastered with other mods. 2. Combo's from lighter pens are more impressive but generally lose difficulty trick wise. 3. IDK why avenger disliked my above post ^^

36. Light
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 22:27:31

i regret starting with buster...

37. ZRand
    Date: Fri, Nov 5 2010 22:36:00

Been spinning MX since 4 years ago >.> You should spin lighter pens. People think you're more pro ^^

38. Elune
    Date: Thu, Nov 11 2010 14:25:00

I'll never regret ... Because CYL is the only MOD I've got ... It's hard to make a MOD by myself (lack of ingredients and time >.>)

39. papa happy
    Date: Thu, Nov 11 2010 14:56:16

i say spin what ever you want! its your money, its your hands , its your time!!!!!! just have fun and who gives a shit about what other people think about what your spinning! just have fun and spin your litle heart out! thats what i do , and ill never look back :D

40. ArmorKingRulez
    Date: Sat, Nov 13 2010 15:08:00

Rae wrote: P/s : Off-topic, but CYL is a short form of ... ?
    Change Your Life

41. k-ryder
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 02:14:46

Rae wrote: P/s : Off-topic, but CYL is a short form of ... ?
    its short for Crayola, for the crayola supertips used for the body

42. spinnerhui
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 23:17:03

k-rydder Thanks K-ryder, so If I used a bic body it would be Buster BIC??? just wondering...and if I used a papermate, it would be something like Buster PPM

43. walrus
    Date: Thu, Dec 2 2010 01:30:24

are you sure that the comssa caps can fit on the bic barrel? i guess you could use electric tape to enlarge the ends but i would think that it wouldnt feel really good when spinning...

44. k-ryder
    Date: Thu, Dec 2 2010 04:47:37

@spinnerhui comssa caps do fit onto bic barrels without using tape, as long as you dont use the inktube

45. AwonW
    Date: Thu, Dec 2 2010 04:52:56

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

46. browndog12
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 05:35:37

i agree with everyone who posted earlier. i accelerated way faster than a normal spinner *cough, cough, im awesome cough* using an MX. however, i wasnt very consistent with it. so, i thought, hey, im already learning power tricks with my MX and metal comssa! i should order a buster! but when i got the parts and made it, it simply WAS NOT FUN to spin. the challenges of spinning light mods is what makes spinning fun for me. the heaviest mod i ever use is a waterfall mod. as for hand pains, those dont happen to me. i used to do a lot of bouldering, so i have really strong hands. but spinning quickly is far more fun than spinning impressively to me. spinning MXs is REALLY fun for me, however, it's impractical for writing, and i need to write a lot, since i'm in high school. so i made a retractable comssa. so much fun. :D

47. Vortechs
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 06:20:13

Just because Busters (or heavier pens) are bad for some people , It does not mean that they are bad for you. You can be a buster user as a beginner at say 3 months and still learn good variety of tricks, good style, good smoothness, and good linkages, and still be able to spin light mods. It all depends on the person spinning the pen. There is no Law that states buster users will develop bad spinning habits and loose the ability to spin light mods. Pen spinning is about accomplishing your goals. You pen spin for yourself not others. [B]The point is try it out yourself and don't ever let others tell you what to do and what to spin. [/B] It worked for me :)

48. Sc00t
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 06:33:35

i disagree i learned with heavy pens [not a buster, mind you. think KT] and i picked up a rsvp unmodded and within a week or 2 of nothing but the rsvp i was able to do almost every single thing i could do on my heavier pens and now i can triple bust on my kt and double bust on an unmodded rsvp, twice in a row without dropping, sometimes 3, which is pretty consistent considering.. yeah.. it's a rsvp pen yes the rsvp feels to have very little momentum but your hands learn to adjust to the weight automatically so its important to know how to spin heavy AND light pens and dont worry about ruining your spinning with heavy mods sure i can't spin as impressively with my rsvp pen but i don't bust out my RSVP when i want to do impressive things, i just freestyle/ta harmonic with it while in class or something.. i dont start chaining aerial busts and palmspins while working, that's just being a bad student. I spin in class to keep my hands entertained while i think of what to write, or i do a quick combo to loosen up my fingers after writing an entire page (This is actually a very real use of pen spinning, keeping your hand loose while writing) One could argue that the spinning is even more impressive to non spinners because it's actually pen spinning not baton spinning Now, as for starting out with a heavy pen and it's effect on your style and being like spinnerpeem or whoever the kids these days idolize... you cant 'permanently' damage your style, you can always change, thats what i think. it just takes more effort to break away from what you've developed as a style. for example, spinnerpeem has had his style for years, changing now would take tremendous effort, but if you've been spinning a buster for a few months.. no harm done

49. RicLu98
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 06:33:56

i'm a 4 monther and i spin a buster :) it's my best and favorite mod. but occasionally i feel it's a bit heavy so i just take a break from it and spin a signo tipped comssa.

50. Vortechs
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 06:36:40

@StareExactly as I said earlier It depends on the spinner and what works for them. You can't say that busters hurt your style because busters may enhance other people's style. Each spinner will react differently to spinning buster. Either for better or worse. Sometimes it can be for better.

51. SuiXidaL
    Date: Thu, Mar 3 2011 07:50:35

what the fuck is with people reviving old threads?!?!? SERIOUSLY GUYS.

52. YETI
    Date: Wed, Mar 30 2011 20:55:13

The buster will kill your hands. seriously.

53. ILikePens
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 03:01:22

Metal Comssa ALL the WAY

54. drgripable
    Date: Sun, Apr 10 2011 14:07:15

Bam! wrote: When I started some years ago, btw, when was the buster cyl invented? I started spinning around that time when the cyl was popular. And i wanted the pen, but yet they prevented me from using a cyl. since it was too heavy. We want things easier, like why would you walk by foot from US to china if you can get there by plain. Things like that. Like Don't drive a ferrari, since you would not be able to drive slower cars in the future.
    Dude, You can trust your feet. You walk on them all the time. You can walk around the world, time consumingly, but safely. If you're not a pilot, you will crash the plane. HARD

55. MickChickenn
    Date: Fri, Apr 29 2011 04:17:49

I have always wondered this. Ive heard people freak out on 6 month spinners for using one, and Ive heard people tell 6 month spinners to use one. When is it acceptable to use a buster?

56. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Apr 29 2011 04:40:46

Personally, I have not problem with someone USING the mod. But if you're dependent on it/start with it you may have a problem. Honestly, spin whatever you want, buster has it's benefits and its downsides, I find not spinning a buster much more rewarding, but I can't do any insane finishers/power tricks. Also, I've settled down with a preferred mod, and hardly find myself spinning any other one. If you spin a buster and are looking for acceptance you'd probably be better off waiting for an even heavier mod to become popular and the buster will likely take the form of the dr.kt in the leadstick of the past category..

57. Sam
    Date: Fri, Apr 29 2011 04:46:37

Its all personal preference. But if you're a beginner, you shouldn't depend too much on it. You have a whole future ahead and a whole bunch of other mods that are out there. Maybe you want to spin a buster when you get better its all your choice :)

58. RicLu98
    Date: Fri, Apr 29 2011 05:12:16

isay spin whatever you want at whatever time. i spun a buster at 4 months but mine had airfit jell tips. imo i actually like jell tips better cuz it doesn't make the buster too heavy so if you're a beginnerish spinner and you want to spin a buster, i recommend you use airfit jell tips.

59. MystikSun
    Date: Fri, Apr 29 2011 05:33:38

I used the Buster as a training tool for harder power tricks. I learned a power trick or multiple bust with the Buster. When I got fluent with it, I used a lighter mod.

60. Soren
    Date: Mon, May 16 2011 07:55:16

lots of people are saying that if your practise with a buster you cant get use to light mods, im my opinion, it might feel a bit weird using a lighter mod, but give it a day or two of practise with the light mod, and it will feel normal, but thats just me

61. Josh
    Date: Tue, May 17 2011 20:23:08

Ughhh lol I've been spinning for a month and a half and I received a buster a week ago. I did my research too, saw lots of people recommending it. This is the first I've heard that it's bad for beginners, and it's annoying because I love my buster lol. Because it's heavier, it moves slower so it helps me understand new tricks. Plus my hands are fine, I've been using it 4-5 hours a day and they're a bit sore but it's fine. Granted I use my hands a lot, piano and yoyoing and such. So what should I get instead? A metal comssa? Stick to my bictory? I also got a Waterfall Comssa, would that be better? I get that I could stick to my bictory forever, but it's fun to have variety and I like the idea of collecting pen mods.

62. OG
    Date: Tue, May 17 2011 21:50:53

REVIVAL TIME Personally, I did spin a Buster at 8 months or so, but i don't think that helped me. I notice a significant number of people posting here are either not very experienced or do not spin very seriously. Honestly, what you do is your choice, but just letting you guys know, rushing too quickly for things isn't always good. I'm not a 'pro' but very few people on this board these days are. Whatever. OG

63. Soren
    Date: Wed, May 18 2011 14:37:56

the reason for this is because once you've gotten used to a buster then it will be hard for you to spin light mods, i shall explain when you are practising a trick with the buster, for example the twisted sonic multiple bust trick, you would realise that you dont have to put much effort into doing the trick to be able to execute the trick. This is because, the buster has a lot more momentum than light mods, therefore easier to do a trick. When you are busting, you realise that you are also slightly pushing the pen with your middle finger, with a buster you dont have to push as much, as the buster has more momentum than a light mod. However, when using a lighter mod, you realise that you will need to push harder than you would with a buster, this is to create more momentum. To conclude, if you are a beginner and start using a buster, you will get used to using less effort into doing tricks, so when you use a light mod, e.g a rsvp mx, you will find that you cant do some tricks, as you are used to using less effort, therefore you will use the same amount of effort used when you practise on a buster rather than putting in a lot more effort. Hope that wasn't too confusing and has answered your question =D

64. wings
    Date: Wed, May 18 2011 15:22:12

Supergirl wrote: the reason for this is because once you've gotten used to a buster then it will be hard for you to spin light mods, i shall explain when you are practising a trick with the buster, for example the twisted sonic multiple bust trick, you would realise that you dont have to put much effort into doing the trick to be able to execute the trick. This is because, the buster has a lot more momentum than light mods, therefore easier to do a trick. When you are busting, you realise that you are also slightly pushing the pen with your middle finger, with a buster you dont have to push as much, as the buster has more momentum than a light mod. However, when using a lighter mod, you realise that you will need to push harder than you would with a buster, this is to create more momentum. To conclude, if you are a beginner and start using a buster, you will get used to using less effort into doing tricks, so when you use a light mod, e.g a rsvp mx, you will find that you cant do some tricks, as you are used to using less effort, therefore you will use the same amount of effort used when you practise on a buster rather than putting in a lot more effort. Hope that wasn't too confusing and has answered your question =D
    Whew, good thing busters are rare in our country. I spin ballsign to make my mx spinning better. Yeah, heavymods are not for beginners.

65. Enigmatic
    Date: Wed, May 18 2011 15:43:04

I started Using a Buster 3 months after I started pinning and had learned all the fundamentals. It only took me 2 days to get used to the buster. I use to spin a bictory and I realized that lighter mods tire my hands quicker and I couldnt spin for as long. plus the bictory had way less momentum and I couldnt do crap with much success rate. I find the buster pretty easy and I spin for over 6 hours maybe more daily, and nothing happens to my hand. Just spin whatever is comfortable to you, everyone's hands are different, Its not like your hand is going to die from using a buster, I could still use the bictory, it just takes too much energy to get it moving so screw it lol

66. JackyMacky
    Date: Wed, May 18 2011 15:56:56

Josh wrote: they're a bit sore but it's fine. Granted I use my hands a lot, piano and yoyoing and such. So what should I get instead? A metal comssa? Stick to my bictory? I also got a Waterfall Comssa, would that be better? I get that I could stick to my bictory forever, but it's fun to have variety and I like the idea of collecting pen mods.
    They're a bit sore? If you want to spin a lighter mod, work your way down. Sure, spin your waterfall; at least you're going lighter. What you don't want to do is keep switching from light to heavy, light to heavy all the time. I just rarely spin my buster because I don't want to get hand problems in the future. I'm just a bit paranoid. :/

67. Josh
    Date: Wed, May 18 2011 16:08:15

JackyMacky wrote: They're a bit sore? If you want to spin a lighter mod, work your way down. Sure, spin your waterfall; at least you're going lighter. What you don't want to do is keep switching from light to heavy, light to heavy all the time. I just rarely spin my buster because I don't want to get hand problems in the future. I'm just a bit paranoid. :/
    The only thing I really notice after a long day of spinning is my pinky and that side of my hand is a bit sore, but it's really subtle, I wouldn't call it painful, just a bit tender. I actually got the buster after watching Ktrihn's tutorial for shadow, where he recommends using a heavy mod for momentum because it's next to impossible with a regular bictory (what I was using). Kinda surprised to see him giving the opposite advice in this thread, but life goes on =)

68. poisoned
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 00:33:00

Josh wrote: The only thing I really notice after a long day of spinning is my pinky and that side of my hand is a bit sore, but it's really subtle, I wouldn't call it painful, just a bit tender. I actually got the buster after watching Ktrihn's tutorial for shadow, where he recommends using a heavy mod for momentum because it's next to impossible with a regular bictory (what I was using). Kinda surprised to see him giving the opposite advice in this thread, but life goes on =)
    Shadow is very possible with a regular bictory. Ktrihn make good tutorials so I hear, but he's still just a penspinner like any of us, who has his own opinions.

69. Sc00t
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 08:18:19

dr.kt > all............ buster momentum sucks for counters and linkages and the length is only good for ptricks.. SO USE IT TO DO PTRICKS! :V starting off learning ptricks is fine, but don't forget the real meat n potatoes of pen spinning. ptricks are just the butter, salt, and sour cream on top

70. Van
    Date: Sat, May 21 2011 18:54:05

Josh wrote: The only thing I really notice after a long day of spinning is my pinky and that side of my hand is a bit sore, but it's really subtle, I wouldn't call it painful, just a bit tender. I actually got the buster after watching Ktrihn's tutorial for shadow, where he recommends using a heavy mod for momentum because it's next to impossible with a regular bictory (what I was using). Kinda surprised to see him giving the opposite advice in this thread, but life goes on =)
    :rofl: I learned a shadow with a normal pencil wtf r u talking about

71. Forest
    Date: Tue, Jul 26 2011 12:24:01

honestly, i don't understand what all this fuss is about. im a "buster noob" cuz i started spinning a buster at 3-4 months yet i can spin an mx with ease. i can even spin a regular bic pen. and none of which you guys said is affecting me...like my hands were not sore AT ALL after transferring to a buster. I can still easily spin light mods so i have no idea what the fuss is all about...=_= i kno im a noob so i really can't say anything but i think that whether you spin a buster or not it doesn't matter. i guess it really is just personal preference. xD and oh yea, i learned all my fundamentals (sonic, TA, fingerpass, charge) even twisted sonic, warped sonic, demon's sonic, shadow, infinity, double charge, twisted sonic bust, etc. with a bictory. idk if that makes a difference. xD

72. Spin4fun
    Date: Tue, Jul 26 2011 13:14:51

LYFOjh wrote: honestly, i don't understand what all this fuss is about. im a "buster noob" cuz i started spinning a buster at 3-4 months yet i can spin an mx with ease. i can even spin a regular bic pen. and none of which you guys said is affecting me...like my hands were not sore AT ALL after transferring to a buster. I can still easily spin light mods so i have no idea what the fuss is all about...=_= i kno im a noob so i really can't say anything but i think that whether you spin a buster or not it doesn't matter. i guess it really is just personal preference. xD and oh yea, i learned all my fundamentals (sonic, TA, fingerpass, charge) even twisted sonic, warped sonic, demon's sonic, shadow, infinity, double charge, twisted sonic bust, etc. with a bictory. idk if that makes a difference. xD
    i agree a little with you, like when im busting a vgg mod, it does not really make a difference to me busting a emboss mod, but all i can say is spinning really heavy pens do not help you in your spinning style because of the huge momentum and what supergirl said, using less force to push and stuff like that. Thus i dont reccomend it. But its all your personal reference.

73. mapjay
    Date: Tue, Jul 26 2011 14:57:16

main thing about hating on buster noobs is their inability to spin lighter mods in the future. but if u are fine with it then nvrm

74. Forest
    Date: Tue, Jul 26 2011 16:07:30

oh ok lol. i get wat your saying that spinning lighter mods then transferring to busters help develop style. lol im probably gonna transfer to a metallic comssa to develop style. thanks guys! xD

75. Zleepy
    Date: Tue, Jul 26 2011 23:54:15

so... i can easily switch between Buster CYL and RSVP MX... weight difference doesn't really matter to me :P

76. ricesi
    Date: Fri, Jul 29 2011 23:32:54

to begin penspinning, you need a strong foundation of basic tricks to transition more easily to harder tricks. this is achieved by the use of lighter pens, unlike the buster cyl.

77. Zelphus
    Date: Tue, Nov 6 2012 14:48:45

U can start with a BICtory pen mod.Basically,it is very balanced,and light-weighted and u will fibd that u will be able to learn fundamental tricks better.Hope this helps.

78. RPD
    Date: Tue, Nov 6 2012 15:27:22

Spinning a buster doesnt make you a buster noob. Saying UOOOO BUZTER BEAST MOD X4 BUST SOO COOL WT NAO does. Even thinking that i dont like busters. Having as a main mod a 0% personalized buster makes me want to give him some personality. But thats my problem. Damn busters. Eh...

79. Kiiro
    Date: Tue, Nov 6 2012 22:04:47

It's boring to watch a noob spin a buster cause they have no style and most of the time don't do tricks that make a buster appealing like power sequences and of course with style and good linkages. I see it like a 1st grader skipping all the way to college.

80. Zephyr
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 02:58:39

Is it bad for a newbie to start with a waterfall mod?

81. Zakaryi
    Date: Sun, Jan 13 2013 08:16:07

Pen Ninja wrote: 1 year isnt rly THAT bad... its still early but most "buster noobs" get a buster at like 3 months.... or start with it
    Lol, buster noobs....

82. x3silver
    Date: Sun, Jan 13 2013 12:51:43

Zakaryi wrote: Lol, buster noobs....
    -__- buster aint so bad yo.

83. NeoN
    Date: Sun, Jan 13 2013 12:53:31

No matters when you got buster, it isn't good always.

84. Zakaryi
    Date: Sun, Jan 13 2013 17:02:58

I'm not saying the mod is bad... ( '~')

85. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Mon, Jan 14 2013 17:54:05

I'm pissing myself laughing at how wrong people were about the buster back in the day, ahahaha.