UPSB v4

Philosophy / Labeling Penspinning.

1. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 01:06:41

We have all heard of hobby, sport, form of contact juggling, but what IS penspinning? Dexterity play? Physical art? I consider Penspinning a Physical art, like juggling, or yo-yoing or poi, It doesn't seem like a "hobby" like rubiks cubing or cup stacking are. I suppose it is dexterity play, and personally I don't it fit contact juggling either, although ihas a role, for instance jugglers don't simply juggle balls either, they may juggle batons or sticks as well. IS penspinning simply baton twirling? In which case it's a form of dance as well? This leads again to physical art... What are your thoughts on what penspinning IS.

2. RdHg
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 01:16:38

I think psing will become a "official" sport in the future like cup stacking, because cup stacking is technically a sport .

3. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 01:21:58

I don't see penspinning becoming a sport, or, would become one, I'm sure if penspinning grew even more, there could be a sport sub group, however there are limits to human dexterity and pen spinning pushes it as it is... I just don't think there are enough high level pen spinners to have pen spinning as a sport, and then questions of judging come into play as well. Penspinning is much better suited as an artform imo.

4. Frip
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 02:04:26

penspinning is art, eventually we'll realize that it's not made for competition, due to too many different styles.

5. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 02:38:04

Yeah I too think it is a type of art. Cup stacking is essentially based on how fast you can stack and de-stack cups. However penspinning consists of things like style, difficulty, different tricks, and presentation. Some of these aspects are not quantitative, but qualitative, which plays a large role in my interpretation of ps. As for juggling, difficulty plays a larger role in it that it does in ps, at least imo. I mean it's great when you see someone doe 20x hai tuas but it's not an integral part of ps. On the other hand you see people juggling axes, or plates, or large amounts of objects which wows you. depending on your definition of ps or what you like to see, it could be difficulty or power tricks, but it oculd be things like smoothness or presentation as well. But now you need to sort out your definition of art

6. GigaByte
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 11:29:01

i think this pen spinning is an art

7. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 18:45:37

my thoughts are here http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=Discourse_on_the_metaphysics_of_Pen_Spinning

8. Sabaku狐
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 20:50:51

Seems your link is dead. I would count this more as dexterity play. Most people who find me psing think I'm a magician or ask me if I can do other tricks. It's all art and sleight of hand.

9. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 21:16:12

Sabaku狐 wrote: Seems your link is dead. I would count this more as dexterity play. Most people who find me psing think I'm a magician or ask me if I can do other tricks. It's all art and sleight of hand.
    no it works fine...

10. strat1227
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 21:23:26

The only all-encompassing definition I can give it is "hobby" Some people do it passively, some people do it obsessively. Some people do it just for themselves, others like to show it off to others. Some like to compete or be better than others, some just like the aesthetics. It's neither a "competition", "art" or "sport", because all of those ignore at least one aspect of PS. Hobby is the only definition that applies 100%.

11. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 21:26:17

hobby is so vague it doesnt really help tho thats like describing everything as "a thing" we're not going for conciseness here

12. strat1227
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 21:30:35

Hobby is way more specific than "thing" And I'm not going for conciseness either, just encompassing accuracy. No other description is fully accurate, unless you just describe the general idea of a hobby *cough, zombo's article cough*

13. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 22:12:47

The hobby of pen spinning would be modding imo, but then there is a hobby application to other manipulations as well to some extent...

14. casual
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 22:16:13

I tried to think of other activities similar to pen spinning that can be categorized in the same way, and what I came up is dance. Pen spinning is really similar to dance in that it is a sort of judged art-form, there are many different styles that come into play, and it's not simply showing a single trick or move but showing off a combination of them. Should pen spinning be judged? While I don't think art is something that should be judged, like dance it can be judged and it probably will continue to be judged. Yet, I'm not knowledgeable enough in dance to know the answer completely. Just seems to be similar to me.

15. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 22:19:29

Except penspinning isn't as physically extensive....\ Glowsticking, which is like penspinning.. only with focus dance.... idk..

16. casual
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 22:56:33

It's not as physically extensive, but I feel that the overall idea is pretty similar. You are combining a series of movements to create what is most appealing. Glowsticking can also be put in the same category. Also note that they are all judged, but they don't have to be judged.

17. Hidekyo
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 23:33:13

yeah i agree i think of PS as a pass time hobby. I do it so I can feel accomplished and of course show off!

18. Mats
    Date: Tue, Nov 9 2010 00:07:50

It's a form of contact juggling. Read the wiki article on it.