UPSB v4

Manipulative Arts / Contact Juggling

1. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Sun, Oct 31 2010 22:10:39

CONTACT JUGGLING ...since we don't have a thread here (aside from the fushigi thread :walrus: ) some stuff to get started... and discuss! [video=youtube;CtztrcGkCBw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtztrcGkCBw[/video] [video=youtube;Ihwei0jO4Yg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihwei0jO4Yg[/video] ^lol this one has crazy body rolls... it's f-ing amazing [video=youtube;qLBcS32uKPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLBcS32uKPY&feature=related[/video] I just started so I don't know so much... contactjuggling.org?

2. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 00:32:22

Practice your holds/cradles cantact juggling is repition repition make sure youre commited too, practice in front of a mirror, don't expect to be good right away form, and other stuff are important, then figure out if you want to multi-ball or body rolls. Practice wtvr have fun be patient. I started begining of this year, not very good at any tricks yet but still going at it.

3. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 01:24:01

^this is true and- exactly like penspinning, except in a different respect and what ball do you use? I use some plastic 100mm ball, thinking about getting a Sil-X implosion soon

4. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 01:53:48

Yeah, Ive read some very good things about silx and am thinking about getting one, so far I've only used oragnes and missalaneous balls, and have a really ugly butterfly and a very imperfect idea of a few isolations hahah. :p

5. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 03:14:45

I use a base ball and some 100mm "helium high bounce ball" that you see at target/walmart. The helium ball is SO UNBALANCED but easy to use cause it's really big. My butterfly, halfpipe, and prayer are mediocre cause I just started... and my enigma... :walrus:

6. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 03:49:54

Hahah, I only know the butterfly (not very successfull) and a couple isolations, I'm thinking about investing in a ball but I'm not sure ;]. Thanks for the link to the community though, I wasn't aware of that resource :].

7. Prince
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 21:28:44

just got my first ball today! Love it :D going to the london juggling convention next week, should be really great :)

8. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 22:13:37

What kind of ball did you get? :p Thinking about purchasing a Sil-x 4inch clear implosion for 26$ as my first ball what do you think?

9. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Tue, Nov 2 2010 02:53:04

The regular ones might be better idk but the clear is the best since it "keeps the illusion." But then the clear sil-x has a small tell mark so........... =/ depends

10. Prince
    Date: Tue, Nov 2 2010 19:38:27

I got a 100mm/200gram PLAY stage ball, @shoeman6; i recommend ~100mm (4inches) and maybe like 200-300grams. Go for a stage ball theyre nice and cheap for learning. :D btw my ball is opaque blue, when i improve ill purchase a clear acrylic ;D

11. shoeman6
    Date: Tue, Nov 2 2010 23:30:26

Well I just sent out an order for a 100mm Clear sil-x implosion @ 300g for $27 Going to be more first ball. :] should be here by Friday, am very excited =D. I went for this ball because the normal sil-ax wasn't that differen't in price and all of the good things I've heard about sil-x vs stageballs.

12. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 02:45:29

imo sil-x are better cause the silicone reduces spin, produces dead drops and easier catches/tosses. Play makes the SAME BALL (sil-x), which is essentially their stage ball with silicone. 4 inches is great, and stage balls are just awesome overall. I'm getting a 3-inch yellow one on friday :thumb: It's going to be the perfect ball.

13. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 02:47:39

I'm a little worried about the tell mark, but it seems like a durable 1st practice ball :]. 3inches... that seems like it might be a little light / small?

14. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 02:54:33

I've been using a 150g 4in ball so it's all good. Maybe a 2.5in 120g wooden ball too, and it's great. The sil-x is 3 in and ~ 156g so I'm all good :thumb: not impossible... but you'll shit brix. [video=youtube;mFsSafs5YeY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFsSafs5YeY&feature=player_embedded[/video] edit- the tell mark isn't noticable from a distance... pretty sure.

15. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 02:57:57

Hahah, you should watch some of jea9's video the combination of cj with gymnastics is stunning / mind blowing. SUmersault / cartwheel with a body roll, amazing lol. the 4 inch implosion is new, it's said to be around ~300g, but I'm wondering if the seam and plug will be to visible, hahah. I know in the 3 inch colored models you can see them a bit (i think) and the material.... anyways it's jsut a practice ball, I want an implosion so it'll help with smoothness right away. :]

16. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Wed, Nov 3 2010 03:02:17

Well the clear ones have a plug, but I don't think anyone will notice if you say anything. and crazy... will do =P

17. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Sat, Nov 6 2010 03:32:17

I got the 3in sil-x today Great, pretty stable, isolates very well (the plug doesn't show too much on the yellow) dead drop, easy to balance, has a lot of inertia/reluctance to move overall it's the best ball I've used, although I do use another kind of 4in ball for practice.

18. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Nov 6 2010 03:44:08

cool im practicing with a chinese chime ball for now, hahah a little small :p make a video! :] btw I just recieved my clear 100mm silx yesterday :] almost have the btteryfly down :D

19. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Tue, Nov 9 2010 00:33:27

shoeman6 wrote: cool im practicing with a chinese chime ball for now, hahah a little small :p make a video! :] btw I just recieved my clear 100mm silx yesterday :] almost have the btteryfly down :D
    Back to back =o yeah sil-x's are great. imo, the yellow on my ball is the "yellowest-yellow" I've ever seen... ever. IT'S SO YELLOW lol edit- I got my first inside elbow stall on Wednesday =D so psyched!

20. Prince
    Date: Sat, Nov 13 2010 21:35:55

Got a 100mm clear acrylic! Its hot! I also went to a juggling convention and a workshop and I learnt alot of new stuff :D really good day

21. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 01:21:31

cool but do you have a spare/practice ball? It might make life easier if you had another ball =/ Acrylics are rather heavy. and if you do have a stage/spare ball, great! (disregard my post) I want an acrylic =/

22. Prince
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 14:33:38

Yeah I bought a play stge 100mm to starat with, then got my acrylic:)

23. Teku
    Date: Mon, Nov 15 2010 03:13:14

Nice to see some contact jugglers come on here too! If anyones into body rolling then I really recommend the Jea9 ball, its hands down the best you can use, though for isolations the acrylic is of course better. I have some body rolling vids in my sig for anyone interested :)

24. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Mon, Nov 15 2010 04:06:47

Teku wrote: Nice to see some contact jugglers come on here too! If anyones into body rolling then I really recommend the Jea9 ball, its hands down the best you can use, though for isolations the acrylic is of course better. I have some body rolling vids in my sig for anyone interested :)
    I went backwards, from psing to contactjuggling =P well... more like psing>yoyoing>....> CJ. and yep, I heard goods things about the Jea9 ball. I think it's because of the surface area. I would have gotten one, but I need a set juggling balls too

25. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 01:49:19

[video=youtube;6iC3b5JnSIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iC3b5JnSIE[/video] probably the best video I've seen (like a straight performance. There are other good ones, but some are pretty long...) also bump

26. Mats
    Date: Thu, Nov 18 2010 02:01:00

He's pretty good, but not the best straight performance I've seen. Looks like this was shot in Tokyo? Seems to be the same jugglers as the 'Japanese jugglers' video series.

27. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Tue, Nov 23 2010 08:03:48

yep he is. may I have the video of "people better?" cause also with multi-ball, he's great with illusions (isolations).

28. tacohead12
    Date: Mon, Nov 29 2010 02:43:28

I was looking into starting contact juggling so I was wondering if someone can recommend me a site to buy a ball and which one you would recommend me to start with. thanks :P

29. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Tue, Nov 30 2010 02:28:28

Neon husky (website) 4 in/100mm or 76mm Sil-x Stage Ball I like yellow or white cause you can easily see them. Any color you choose is fine though, even the clear "sil-x implosions" are great. If you don't like the physics of the sil-x ball (how the Sil-x moves around)- Stage balls in general are good. A 73mm metal ball is ok, but it could be heavy and dangerous for a beginner.

30. shoeman6
    Date: Tue, Nov 30 2010 23:21:11

I love ym sil-x but I find them kind of difficult to be honest... I mean I'm sure i'm learning better technique but I've been cjing for a couple weeks now and haven't really gotten anywhere.. Cjing's pretty hard and takes a bit of dedication hahah... I guess I would recommend a solid colored sil-x, or perhaps a 3.5 inch stage ball... I honestly feel like 300g grams was a bit to heavy to start off with too... Sil-x's are also kind of hard when you're learning stalls but anyways it'll improve your technique when you do learn with them as you'll be more adept the adjust to inconsistencies in the ball.

31. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 02:52:41

edit- got a 4in acrylic myself (and a light up stage ball :thumb:) imo the sil-x is very consistent =/ What do you mean inconsistent? like it has too much inertia/"reluctance to move." If you go as slow as possible (which everyone SHOULD do when first learning a CJ trick,) then the sil-x should be easier to use. After using a Sil-x ball, every other ball should be much easier to control (to some degree) since you don't "underpower" your movements. Thats one of the most stable balls out there. It especially helps with stalls. It might be a little heavy, but it's actually better that way imo. I started with a 3in Sil-x then moved on to a 4in. If you aren't sure if you can't handle the 300g mass, use a 3in sil-x or some 4in stage ball. But I highly reccomend a 4in Sil-x.

32. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Thu, Dec 9 2010 01:59:08

This is why CJ'ers hate Fushigi even MORE. [B][SIZE="5"] IMPORTANT:[/SIZE][/B] Fushigi reviews- [video=youtube;whDi2ANLjg0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whDi2ANLjg0[/video] [video=youtube;QqeqwyxF7rQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqeqwyxF7rQ&feature=related[/video] From my Fushigi thead post

33. Simplex
    Date: Tue, Dec 21 2010 05:08:38

34. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Wed, Dec 22 2010 01:44:58

M.C. Escher? I've seen that in my school's art room. Pretty cool.

35. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Dec 26 2010 07:27:03

Neonhusky.com is have a 10% off all products sale and he has acrylics in stock, go pick one up now for about 50$w/ shipping, just got myself one! can't wait :]

36. Prince
    Date: Sun, Dec 26 2010 14:24:29

Starting MultiBall Soon. Need help though guys: Gonna buy 4 x 75mm clear acrylics; heres two deals: I could get 2 x deal for 2 balls = £52 or 1 x deal for 4 balls + 4 pouches + book = £69 I pay £17 more and get 4 pouches and a book, good deal? Not sure what to do.

37. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Dec 26 2010 16:24:37

So I think we figured out the second is probably worth it ;] Post that session vid when you're done hahah :] I think I want to master 1 ball before/ and if I do multiball

38. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Sun, Dec 26 2010 18:52:28

darn... too bad I didn't get much money for Christmas. I mean it doesn't matter to me what I get for Christmas though; I just like being home. I'll just wait till later next year to order some balls (like my bday) :thumb:

39. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Jan 3 2011 22:36:10

MY ACRYLIC CAME ASDFGHJKL :'] It is beautiful

40. Kirby
    Date: Mon, Jan 3 2011 22:51:20

whats wrong with fushigi?

41. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Tue, Jan 4 2011 01:00:00

obvious trolling is obvious ^lol But if you're serious- Mostly that it's just a terrible ball. That, and they're destroying the sport intentionally. Think if spinz got big, and then people thought it took no effort to spin pens. People = the entire ignorant public pretty much. Yeah, that just about sums it up.

42. shoeman6
    Date: Tue, Jan 4 2011 06:45:49

[video=youtube;flFwBCEUCMo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flFwBCEUCMo[/video]

43. tacohead12
    Date: Tue, Jan 4 2011 09:35:10

I've got an acrylic ball from my uncle for xmas. It didn't say what size though. It's cool tho. My first ball o-o. Getting the butterfly down right now.

44. jet
    Date: Sun, Mar 6 2011 19:06:09

i just use a skyball, which is just a small bouncy ball :P

45. Sc00t
    Date: Sun, Mar 6 2011 22:40:05

i dont understand why this is supposed to look cool... :s penspinning much better ^^

46. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Mon, Mar 7 2011 07:44:13

^lol psike naw. Sorta biased here. The "average person," who does not know either contact juggling or penspinning, finds CJ most appealing. It's mostly because of CJ's simplicity, cause most ppl can't follow what the heck you're doing in PSing. Maybe it's cause you don't "see" the illusion. Some people don't. If you're just trolling then nvm me.

jet wrote: i just use a skyball, which is just a small bouncy ball :P
    get an orange- it probably has more mass. Heavier = better =P

47. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Mar 7 2011 17:57:03

I just use a tangerine at school, Cjingis a lot harder than it first appears though 0_ o.

48. Sc00t
    Date: Mon, Mar 7 2011 22:16:25

ShadrCom3t wrote: ^lol psike naw. Sorta biased here. The "average person," who does not know either contact juggling or penspinning, finds CJ most appealing. It's mostly because of CJ's simplicity, cause most ppl can't follow what the heck you're doing in PSing. Maybe it's cause you don't "see" the illusion. Some people don't. If you're just trolling then nvm me. get an orange- it probably has more mass. Heavier = better =P
    penspinning is more of an inside thing... a decent spinner can follow any combo without much difficulty.. and if they dont spin, why do they need to follow it?i say just let your jaw go slack and take in the awesome :P.. i tend to take mental notes when i see an interesting linkage, but there would be no point in seeing the individual tricks if i had no understanding of how to do them and yeah i guess i just cant see the illusion :(

49. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Jun 16 2011 18:11:52

[video=youtube;ocUDELuHtLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocUDELuHtLQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

50. ricesi
    Date: Fri, Aug 5 2011 17:50:07

holy shit that is cool!!!!!!!

51. crackwhore57
    Date: Mon, Sep 26 2011 16:38:39

once a time in the dark i contracted the juggle of my sisters balls.

52. asianjoe
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 14:46:36

I recently made this contact juggling video for my friend out here in Taiwan. Check it out! (watch in HD) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syhHFKVLX9g

53. asianjoe
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 14:49:05

I recently made this contact juggling video for my friend out here in Taiwan. Check it out! (watch in HD) [video=youtube;syhHFKVLX9g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syhHFKVLX9g&list=HL1354978055&feature=mh_lolz[/video]

54. 20%
    Date: Thu, Dec 13 2012 23:14:13

Oh it that thing you hold crystal ball and it looks like it stays there

55. The Doctor Dokins
    Date: Sat, Dec 7 2013 22:55:27

Hello guys, I want to start with this contact juggling but I don't know what ball I need to take. I am a beginner at this thing so please recommend me some ball. I found this website and it seems pretty cool, please recommend me some of this products, thanks a lot. http://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/listItems/Beginner-Juggling-Ball-Kit

56. Simplex
    Date: Sat, Dec 7 2013 23:54:30

home of poi is an awesome site :) if you want a nice practice ball i would reccomend getting a sil-x ball. liquid silicon inside a stage ball keeps its center of gravity low for lovely body rolls. it practically sticks to you lol 4 inch SIL-X Silicone Color if you want a ball to show off with then definitely grab an acrylic :) they make them in beautiful colours, some are uv sensitive, some are glow in the dark, and the clear ones look like lovely spheres of water personally id reccomend 3.5 inch and higher if you are trying to learn body rolls, pretty much anything can be isolated to look pretty but the bigger the ball the easier it is to control imo. the other factor is whether or not you would like to learn multiball tricks as you need to be able to hold many balls in one hand :ssst: so larger is no longer better. Acrylic Balls imho buy some balls and play with them. as you do you will find out what you like and what you want with contact juggling. only then will the balls of your dreams appear. :P oh and the links are embedded with a referral code for a ten percent discount i think :) btw the HOP dudes are pretty awesome i get stuff shipped to toronto in like a week from new zealand its nuts.