UPSB v4

Pen Spinning Relations / [3.1] UPSB Staying Rate

1. hoiboy
    Date: Wed, Oct 27 2010 22:29:37

This is an internal research focused on UPSB specifically. The goal of this project is to determine what the "staying" rate is on UPSB. As we know, many spinners join this board, then either leave out of discouragement or disinterest. Knowing the percentage of spinners that actually "stay" on UPSB can help to "keep" more new spinners on UPSB. So what I propose is this: starting from a certain date, we will track the first fifty spinners that join. After one month, we will see how many of them are still active, and so on at the three months mark and the six months mark. I would like some feedback on this project. Is a moderator needed to keep track of activeness? How do we define "active"? Is this project going to be useful?

2. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Oct 27 2010 22:33:08

difficult to say many are lurkers who will never or rarely post so its not clear if its useful to track those down maybe its more interesting if whenever someone leaves, and it's clear they're quitting (maybe publicly announced or just stop talking for a long time) to record how long they've been a member. that would be the most feasible i think.

3. hoiboy
    Date: Wed, Oct 27 2010 23:00:47

I thought about that, but then the poll would be slightly biased. In my experience, those who announce that they are leaving are usually the ones that have stayed a really long time. Also, it would be difficult to pin down the exact dates of leaving if people just gradually stop being active. We could PM people asking them to take part in the project. That way, they can stay anonymous.

4. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Oct 28 2010 03:32:52

This is an interesting idea, we could also find out more data, such as how they find out about penspinning, upsb? if they have a friend who spins and referred them to the site are they more likely to stay? What experiences drive them to leave, give up, or quit? From my mini map, (check my signature) there are definitely a lot of lurkers, the majority of people on UPSB I would say aren't heavy users. How can we get people more involved, and help new people out so that they enjoy and become committed to pen spinning and UPSB? I think with what hoiboy is suggesting though, if it's possible to track Ip addresses, we could follow 10 new people who sign up, for a week, and maybe see who is still active after that. Also there are many levels of activity, so staying can refer to many things. I'm sure there are people who lurk as guests but frequently use UPSB as a resource, would people from other boards count if they simply sign up to take advantage of UPSB's marketplace or communication? An Idea I had was something like the map I have of UPSB hits, but perhaps placed in strategic pages or locations that only active users would be in and recording more information about the hits and grouped by IP address and date, then we could get a better idea of the activity of certain pages and sections of the board and get a better idea of how many people use it, and how they use it.

5. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Oct 28 2010 19:08:54

tracking ip is not necessary, i doubt one person makes a new account every week

6. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Oct 28 2010 20:14:01

Then can you track member name visits? :\

7. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Oct 28 2010 20:16:53

in profile it shows last login

8. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Oct 28 2010 22:11:18

Yeah don't PM them, that affects it, just check the 50 profiles once a week to see "last log-in" and when they stop logging in then they are probably gone

9. Lindor
    Date: Thu, Oct 28 2010 22:13:07

I think people joining UPSB are sometime not even willing to be active. It can be spinners looking for a trade, or just spinners willing to keep an eye on different things - WT/WC informations, collaborations... So the track may be irrelevant because it wont show spinners that were willing to stay but that left because of disinterest, it might also show spinners that do only want to have an account, nothing more. I would myself never post on UPSB if there was no RD. The track could be more efficient if people that already signed up on another board were not taken account.

10. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Oct 29 2010 17:30:57

like lindor says UPSB is a very unique forum in the pen spinning world because it serves 2 functions: 1- It is a hub which links other communities together, a place where spinners can communicate at an international level 2- It serves as the local community for spinners that do not have their own forum, most prominently North America. People who use UPSB for reason #1 have a very specific usage pattern; maybe they're traders, in which case once they finished trading they stop visiting, they might be interested in collabs, checking everyday for new releases, they might be interested in WT/WC, in which case they only visit during that time of the year. I have the feeling hoiboy's initial intention was to measure the staying rate for #2. Thus, you need to establish more criteria on who you're gonna pick. Maybe only look at people who post an intro, and make sure that in their intro they're saying they want to be in the community, and not just trader or whatever.

11. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Oct 29 2010 19:43:58

Was there ever any development on the PM for new spinners directing them o resources in the wiki and fundamental videos from V3?

12. Hippo2626
    Date: Sat, Oct 30 2010 03:58:49

Perhaps target those that introduce themselves on the forum saying they just started spinning and go from there. I think you should consider those who give up spinning but troll around here as inactive as well because they are staying here not mainly to contribute or get valuable information about PS anymore but just for chatting and trolling.

13. strat1227
    Date: Sat, Oct 30 2010 21:37:29

Lol I'm not here for PS anymore, I don't even own a mod, do I not count? I'd say a solid percentage of UPSB doesn't actively spin anymore, maybe 10-15%

14. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Nov 1 2010 18:48:24

shoeman6 wrote: Was there ever any development on the PM for new spinners directing them o resources in the wiki and fundamental videos from V3?
    its already implemented, im sure you received it when you registered

15. Mats
    Date: Sun, Nov 14 2010 22:08:25

This PM you get is MUCH TOO LONG! It needs to be completely redesigned. Anyone who gets that who is young (maybe even under about 20) will not read it all, in fact, probably not ANY of it! It needs to be MUCH shorter. I think at most, 5 lines in length. So, I'm suggesting the followin - Let's cut that message down to 5 lines and get people reading it and learning. . .