UPSB v4

Off-topic / cao gio or gua sha

1. davidguy
    Date: Tue, Oct 26 2010 06:10:12

So who's had this done to them before? I've had it done to me several times before and just got it done right now since I'm sick. Hurts like a bitch but it's effective ;) and just in case you don't know what it is

Cao gio, also called coin rubbing or coining, is a dermabrasive therapy used to relive a variety of illnesses such as aches, pains, fevers, colds, cough, nausea, abdominal pain, chills and symptoms related to changes in the weather (Ostensen). Cao gio is translated as “catch the wind.” Illnesses are believed to be caused by an excess of “wind,” and coining is believed to release the excess “wind” and restore balance to the body. To better understand this concept of “wind,” an understanding of the Southeast Asian cultural beliefs in health and medicine must be first established. There are a variety of beliefs and practices among the different ethnic groups; however, there is a common theme in their medicinal beliefs and practices that originates from the Chinese concept of yin and yang (Sullivan, 2005). The belief states that the universe consists of opposing elements that are held in balance. Illnesses are interpreted as a disruption of this balance. Thus, health practices attempt to restore balance between these opposing elements. According to Lance Rasbridge, “the imbalance can be a result of physiological state, such as pregnancy or fatigue, or it could be brought on by intrinsic factors like diet or over exposure to ‘wind,’ one of the body forces or ‘humors’.” This excess of wind in the body can cause ailments such aches, pain, colds, etc. and can be treated by “releasing” wind from the body. Cao gio is believed to do just that by pulling the “wind” to the surface of the body and creating a pathway in which it could be released. The amount of “wind” is measured by the degree of redness that appears on the body after coining, which also measures the severity of the illness. If the red marks that appear are mild, the illness is believed to be minor because there is a small amount of excess wind in the body and vice versa.

2. Goofy
    Date: Tue, Oct 26 2010 18:30:02

Cao gio is believed to do just that by pulling the “wind” to the surface of the body and creating a pathway in which it could be released.
    so it causes you to fart ?:blink:

3. 8yuuw
    Date: Tue, Oct 26 2010 19:14:12

Goofy wrote: so it causes you to fart ?:blink:
    No, I don't think so. I think it's some kind of .. breathing ? \(^o^)/

4. nateiskewl
    Date: Wed, Oct 27 2010 04:00:31

This is a load of Chinese horseshit.