UPSB v4

General Discussion / When do you think you will quit

1. RdHg
    Date: Sun, Oct 24 2010 00:18:10

honestly guys, we all say we'll pen spin forever but lets be serious, we'll get bored of it someday or we'll just get too business. so when do you think you'll quit pen spinning?

2. Hidekyo
    Date: Sun, Oct 24 2010 00:30:04

NEVERRR!

3. hoiboy
    Date: Sun, Oct 24 2010 00:44:14

BlazinAsian wrote: NEVERRR!
    I call BS. Maybe in another 1-2 years.

4. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Oct 24 2010 00:48:28

No offence,@hoiboy, rdhg@ why the hell would you quit? Unless you can't physically spin anymore in which case you still have things to offer the community. The idea of quitting is over rated.

5. hoiboy
    Date: Sun, Oct 24 2010 01:13:23

@shoeman6: quitting ≠ leaving UPSB it's just that ps will eventually lose it's appeal it doesn't mean that i'm leaving upsb though

6. Holypie
    Date: Sun, Oct 24 2010 01:23:48

If I knew, that would spoil all of the fun!

7. tacohead12
    Date: Sun, Oct 24 2010 02:17:39

I think that a long time in the future, maybe a few years. I will try to quit. Ill sell most of my pens and stuff. But of course ill keep my favorites for the memories. Then ill end up spinning those. and even if i sold them i tend to spin normal pens during classes :P

8. Mage In Black
    Date: Sun, Oct 24 2010 02:29:19

When you find better things to do. It seems like college kills a lot of PS time. You just find other things to do. Example: Me and JC. We went to college and look, we don't really spin as much anymore and no longer release videos. It's a gradual thing though. Pen spinning just isn't as fun as it used to be. I loved it when I was a total nub bucket...but not so much now. There was a whole world to explore! Now, it's not that I've stopped but my interest has definitely waned.

9. WhatsOfTheUp1
    Date: Mon, Oct 25 2010 14:13:48

I just started, so i won't quit in awhile xD. But I guess I'll finally quit after psing starts to get boring (it's not getting boring AT ALL yet), then I'll just gradually stop spinning, like one week I may spin only in school, then the next week I'll only spin when I'm in certain periods.

10. JC
    Date: Mon, Oct 25 2010 16:48:31

Mhm, it's as Mage in Black said, college really kills a lot of time, especially if you're active in the community and want to get good grades and such...and so with that, I simply don't have time for pen spinning really anymore. Due to 1. Time, and 2. Lost of Interest -- oldies begin to "quit". Then it goes to what you define as "quitting" pen spinning. -Quitting UPSB, but still spinning mods? -Not spinning at all/that much, but still going on UPSB a bit? -Quitting UPSB, and only spinning regular pens to do fundamentals? -Quitting UPSB, and not even doing a thumbaround ever again? And as Mage in Black's also said, it's a gradual process. Nobody just quits overnight; well, they can, but it's quite rare.\ For me personally, I still go on UPSB a bit right now, but I'll gradually go on less and less probably to the point where you guys will think I'm dead and have "quitted" UPSB. Also right now, I spin a mod for about a total of maybe 5min over the course of 1 week. Literally. I spin a regular pen a bit more maybe... mostly just doing sonic harmonics/charges in class, but that's still barely anything. Maybe a cumulative amount of 10min per week. Eventually, I might get closer and closer to the point where I actually don't spin at all. Yes, I may still know how to do a thumbaround and sonic, but currently, I see it as a possibility that I don't even do a thumbaround in the future (granted, that may be 10-20 years from now, but it may happen eventually). So it's not complete BS when someone says they quit pen spinning and won't spin at all anymore, because I can see it happening to me.

11. Knightpal
    Date: Mon, Oct 25 2010 17:00:30

JC. Reading your post saddens me. But it's all factual. -sigh-

12. Wind
    Date: Mon, Oct 25 2010 20:20:09

Definitely what JC said. However, it's not just college, it's just mainly lost of interest. Like me... When I'm slowly slowly starting to not spin as much as I used to 2 years ago...

13. Tetsip
    Date: Mon, Oct 25 2010 20:31:50

when all my shit is gone. Im gradually leaving atm. Dancing has consumed me :3

14. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, Oct 25 2010 23:06:49

Agree with what JC says. For Singaporeans, most of us will quit when we have to go and serve our national service. Like Dathroat and Tohlz, the had to quit because the national service took up all their time.

15. Mage In Black
    Date: Tue, Oct 26 2010 00:53:58

JC wrote: Mhm, it's as Mage in Black said, college really kills a lot of time, especially if you're active in the community and want to get good grades and such...and so with that, I simply don't have time for pen spinning really anymore. Due to 1. Time, and 2. Lost of Interest -- oldies begin to "quit". Then it goes to what you define as "quitting" pen spinning. -Quitting UPSB, but still spinning mods? -Not spinning at all/that much, but still going on UPSB a bit? -Quitting UPSB, and only spinning regular pens to do fundamentals? -Quitting UPSB, and not even doing a thumbaround ever again? And as Mage in Black's also said, it's a gradual process. Nobody just quits overnight; well, they can, but it's quite rare.\ For me personally, I still go on UPSB a bit right now, but I'll gradually go on less and less probably to the point where you guys will think I'm dead and have "quitted" UPSB. Also right now, I spin a mod for about a total of maybe 5min over the course of 1 week. Literally. I spin a regular pen a bit more maybe... mostly just doing sonic harmonics/charges in class, but that's still barely anything. Maybe a cumulative amount of 10min per week. Eventually, I might get closer and closer to the point where I actually don't spin at all. Yes, I may still know how to do a thumbaround and sonic, but currently, I see it as a possibility that I don't even do a thumbaround in the future (granted, that may be 10-20 years from now, but it may happen eventually). So it's not complete BS when someone says they quit pen spinning and won't spin at all anymore, because I can see it happening to me.
    You're calling me Mage In Black now. :] Just use MIB. It's easier. And the intentions were to have the MIB initials. To sum things up. Shit happens. Things change. We all move on.

16. JC
    Date: Tue, Oct 26 2010 01:12:11

Mage In Black wrote: You're calling me Mage In Black now. :] Just use MIB. It's easier. And the intentions were to have the MIB initials. To sum things up. Shit happens. Things change. We all move on.
    Only calling you that cause newer members might not know who I'm talking about if I call you anything else lol, and will do MIB haha I'll still call you Charlie in HoT forums :P

17. Frip
    Date: Tue, Oct 26 2010 03:10:33

oh shit MIB=Charlie Well I'd quit UPSB before quitting penspinning as a whole. And tbh I don't think I'll ever quit completely, I'll just go through periods of inactivity..

18. TEK
    Date: Thu, Oct 28 2010 22:07:02

College does really take up a lot of time. However, that isn't the reason why i kind of quit UPSB. I just lost interest in posting here for some reason. I'm still am very active with pen spinning though, i spin when i can. I think even if you are really really busy with college, you can still spin if you really wanted to. When someone says they are too busy, due to college, to even pen spin, does that mean they cant even take at least 10-30 mins out of the day to spin? Im sure they could. Even the busiest students need to do what they enjoy every once in a while. Or else they would go crazy. Its just a matter of if you really want to i guess.

19. strat1227
    Date: Thu, Oct 28 2010 22:16:53

Hmm TEK i think it's because being active in the forum is very habitual. If you're busy with college and research and such, you fall out of the habit to check, that's what happened to me anyway. It's about staying diligent EDIT: @JC, trust me, you'll never stop doing sonics in class lol, i quit for 2 years and that never stopped

20. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Oct 28 2010 22:21:27

actually i stopped spinning in class and in general because i barely even hold a pen on a regular basis anymore. everything is typed on the computer

21. JC
    Date: Thu, Oct 28 2010 22:30:48

Yeah, it's always a personal choice whether or not you want to take time out to spin and to what degree. Everyone's different and has a different situation, but for me, some days, it really is so busy that I wouldn't be able to find time to spin for even 10 min. Wake up, go to class at 9am, and have back to back classes with a 1 lunch break where I rush eating and studying during anyway and 1 other 1hr break that i spend doing work, all the way to 9pm, and then get back to my room. Eat dinner while doing hw, shower, do more hw, get exhausted by around 3-4am, pass out on couch/bed. Repeat. Luckily, that's only sometimes -.-'' but I know people who's schedules are busier than mine, so college can definitely get busy enough to not even give you a 10min break lots of times. So I mean, yea, I try to spin for like 10 min during the weekends maybe, during which I'm usually sleeping in anyway or trying to find ways to relieve the stress that got built up over the week. Of course, it was my choice to be that busy, so it's always up to a person what their choice is and I could've chosen to take 1 less class or something and free up an hour somewhere...but I just simply don't have much an interest in PS anymore I guess. Like I said in my other post, time + loss of interest lol. @Strat, i do admit to doing sonics lol, but the amount I spin in class is getting less and less, so I mean, i wouldn't be surprised if I stopped even that lol, but I guess we'll see haha

22. Kirby
    Date: Fri, Oct 29 2010 01:52:17

Soon. This board is turning to shit (which is half the fun of penspinning for me). I'm too lazy to learn new shit and don't have the time. Yet I'm getting bored with the tricks and combos I can already do. Still spin a decent amount, but I see that I'm going to rapidly decrease my spinning time in the next 6 months. EDIT: It seems most people spin for 2-4 (some more) then get bored and quit.

23. PillarsOfValhalla
    Date: Fri, Oct 29 2010 03:09:14

As JC said, some of the oldies left and it pen spinning lost some of its appeal. I'm starting to get back into it a little bit more. I'm starting some trades and trying to be more active on the board. I don't spin as often now but I still go on UPSB.

24. shonenbatman
    Date: Fri, Oct 29 2010 04:47:54

maybe when high school is over. :dunno:

25. Eso
    Date: Fri, Oct 29 2010 05:14:29

From the perspective of a working adult, I don't think I'll be quitting any time soon. I'm lucky in that I discovered pen spinning in the last year in college so it didn't interfere much with my studies but it took up a lot of my free time. Five years later, I'm still spinning but I can never really find the quality time to seriously sit there and practice everyday to keep the edge. In fact, I've degraded considerably since I've gone through as much as 3-4 years of just doing the same mini-combos repeatedly. I'm trying to improve myself but it's going very slowly. I spin sometimes at work but it's hard to keep up since I'm constantly working. I might quit once I have kids since they will take up so much time.

26. TEK
    Date: Fri, Oct 29 2010 15:58:53

JC wrote: Yeah, it's always a personal choice whether or not you want to take time out to spin and to what degree. Everyone's different and has a different situation, but for me, some days, it really is so busy that I wouldn't be able to find time to spin for even 10 min. Wake up, go to class at 9am, and have back to back classes with a 1 lunch break where I rush eating and studying during anyway and 1 other 1hr break that i spend doing work, all the way to 9pm, and then get back to my room. Eat dinner while doing hw, shower, do more hw, get exhausted by around 3-4am, pass out on couch/bed. Repeat. Luckily, that's only sometimes -.-'' but I know people who's schedules are busier than mine, so college can definitely get busy enough to not even give you a 10min break lots of times. So I mean, yea, I try to spin for like 10 min during the weekends maybe, during which I'm usually sleeping in anyway or trying to find ways to relieve the stress that got built up over the week. Of course, it was my choice to be that busy, so it's always up to a person what their choice is and I could've chosen to take 1 less class or something and free up an hour somewhere...but I just simply don't have much an interest in PS anymore I guess. Like I said in my other post, time + loss of interest lol. haha
    Yeah thats true. I just thought, if someone was so busy everyday that they couldn't even have 15-30 mins everyday to themselves, what would happen if something random came up. could they not do it? like what if an old friend or family called and wanted to talk for 15 mins. Or what if they had a bad stomach ace and had to spend some time in the bathroom. :P could they not take the time out to take care of those things and still have time to finish their stuff? idk it just seems ridiculous if they cant find absolutely any time during the day to do what they want. However, i just think a lot of them would rather just rest than pen spin. i do that a lot o.o. but some days, i look forward to the time when i can ps and practice some new stuff.

27. JC
    Date: Fri, Oct 29 2010 16:12:04

lolol, it's funny that you mention that cause my dad tried calling me, and now we gotta like, schedule times when he should call back based on when i'm free (usually weekends/late at night) and i'm like.. lemme check my schedule ahahha as for random stomachaches, those suck... D: but yea, i get what you mean lol, instead of going on upsb right now, i could be spinning haha

28. Hidekyo
    Date: Sun, Oct 31 2010 18:54:02

yeah you cant really quit PS cuz you cant un learn all the tricks

29. Mats
    Date: Tue, Nov 9 2010 00:05:57

Who knows really? You cannot predict the future.

30. Orizon
    Date: Wed, Nov 10 2010 03:51:59

not any time soon for me, i just started spinning like 3 months ago. but i'll probably quit when i go to college or get a job....:huh:

31. GigaByte
    Date: Sat, Nov 27 2010 13:16:44

do you think u will quit from PS .. if yes .. u think when like when u married or something LOL for me i think i will never stop doing this thing forever and ever

32. KTrinh93
    Date: Sat, Nov 27 2010 14:43:59

i think i'd eventually quit when my life becomes too busy with things. i'm already spinning less and less as it is because of school and im only in high school.. i'll probably spin even less when im at college and probably won't spin at all once i get married and have a family because then ill have much more important things to do with my time than to pen spin. plus i think everyone will eventually grow out of pen spinning eventually as much as they'd like to keep doing it.

33. ChainBreak
    Date: Sat, Nov 27 2010 15:20:48

I don't think I'll stop. It's too much fun to stop =D

34. Vassenato
    Date: Sun, Nov 28 2010 16:45:44

only time will tell man, only time will tell.

35. Knightpal
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 17:50:40

I never actually thought of this but now that I think of it I've always dreamed of showing this to my children and my children's children. LOL. It's one of those talents that you keep with you for life. Work and stress'll probably take over but I don't think I'll permenently stop spinning.

36. JLSpinY
    Date: Wed, Dec 1 2010 19:23:26

Tomorrow. JK :P Probably when I leave uni, or whenever I stop using pens regularly.

37. bonkey12
    Date: Fri, Dec 31 2010 19:19:56

i think i know when ill quit (sadly..) in my country you have to be in the army and i want to be in the commando.. = no time to ps at all! so about when ill graduate 12th grade.. (im in the 9th grade now..) but of course ill spin from now and them when im in the army and have some pens lying around :P

38. Aku
    Date: Mon, Jan 31 2011 17:07:51

I will quit... WHEN I DIE!!!! xD Or maybe i will spin a pencil as a zombie, too :D

39. Kari
    Date: Tue, Feb 1 2011 16:55:26

I will quit when I'm the first girl pen spinner to win the wt. ;)

40. Dr.Spinner
    Date: Wed, Feb 9 2011 03:22:43

I will quit when I get really sad about pen spinning like maybe when you don`t get your penwish package and you paid for it like now

41. spinford
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 02:55:32

Currently I am in grade 9. I still have lots of time to penspin. But I believe if I quit, I will miss it again. There is always something new to penspinning. Once a spinner always a spinner

42. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 03:12:43

I might quit when I have to go for my NS 3 years from now like all the previous Singapore Pen Spinners but I'm definitely gonna' get a desk job so I'm hoping I'll be able to still spin.

43. gyrobius
    Date: Mon, Mar 21 2011 22:32:08

If ever, when do you think you might stop pen spinning? For me, I might eventually spin less around high school. I'm in the eighth grade.... I don't think I'll ever stop spinning altogether....

44. Raos
    Date: Mon, Mar 21 2011 23:51:01

i stoped when i graduated elementary school, but i restarted in march of this year i might stop in grade 11 or 12 or university when the pressure is high

45. Hippo2626
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 02:22:17

I might stop, along with all the other Singaporean spinners before me, when I have to go to NS but then again, unlike them, I'll definitely be sent to desk job duty so I hope not.

46. FusionX
    Date: Tue, Mar 22 2011 03:42:05

This'll probably not happen to me even if I wanted to stop pen spinning, because I might sub-consciously do a thumb around and be like, "wtf?"

47. YETI
    Date: Wed, Mar 30 2011 20:47:39

even if i stop spinning, i probably couldn't resist the temptation. so i'd say never