UPSB v4

General Discussion / Best Place to Practice New Tricks

1. Hidekyo
    Date: Tue, Oct 19 2010 22:55:16

The best place for me to practice new tricks is on my bed. You see if I drop my pen it will always stay on my bed. I dont have to bend over or get out of my chair if i practice on my bed lol peace out and keep blazin.

2. KTrinh93
    Date: Tue, Oct 19 2010 23:13:22

I practice while sitting on the floor. My bed is small (twin sized) and it's right next to the wall. So depending on which direction I sit, if the pen happens to go flying, it either hits the wall and makes a really loud noise, or lands on the floor and makes a really loud noise :P So yeah I practice while sitting on the floor or occasionally kneeling if the trick requires a lot of arm movement. My carpet is really plush so I only hear a small thud when I drop. Plus, the floor doesn't end so I don't really have to worry about the pen falling off of somewhere :P

3. Atsume
    Date: Tue, Oct 19 2010 23:22:55

haha i dont care where i practice just not on anything too hard as to not scratch my tips when i drop it but usually its on the floor

4. tacohead12
    Date: Tue, Oct 19 2010 23:30:36

I have a bad habit of practicing on my desk and then my flies and hits my laptop sometimes >.> But my favorite place is bed also. My pillow makes a good seat for practicing haha.

5. Tetsip
    Date: Tue, Oct 19 2010 23:31:24

desk.

6. spinnerhui
    Date: Tue, Oct 19 2010 23:58:12

I practice in the dead of night on my bed...I used to practice on the floor when I still had carpet..and also at school. Always at school =P

7. Hidekyo
    Date: Tue, Oct 19 2010 23:58:25

In school lol nah when it falls people keep stepping on my MX and im like noooo you almost stepeed on my tip you PS hater.

8. Darealone
    Date: Wed, Oct 20 2010 00:20:56

Bed.

9. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Oct 20 2010 00:20:57

I guess it depends on what you are practicing. If it's things like cont. tricks, linkages, finger flexibility or style anywhere you like would do but the more important on is when you're practicing for a combo. The best place for that is where you are going to film it because it will help you to adapt to that environment. For example if you are practicing on your bed, you have a lot of space and your combo calls for a ton of hand movement. but when you are filming and your table is pretty high, your space is cut so when you execute the combo, it will be difficult because you don't have the space you had when you were practicing. However, it would be good to practice cont. tricks, linkages and style at your filming area from time to time so when you practice for your combo it would be easier because you're already used to that area. So I guess the best place to practice is where you film your combos... Just my weird thoughts

10. kam
    Date: Wed, Oct 20 2010 00:42:07

bed (for completely new tricks), work desk (has perfect arm rest and is fully padded), and car (for repetition...in order to get a trick/combo really down)

11. Knightpal
    Date: Wed, Oct 20 2010 00:55:20

Bed. School. New tricks are bad here lmao. Desk.

12. Ice Cobra
    Date: Wed, Oct 20 2010 01:14:07

hmm, bed and couch are good :]

13. Iota
    Date: Wed, Oct 20 2010 02:03:26

In the hyperbolic time chamber. But seriously, I agree with what Kam mentioned. Also, I like to, when working on new combos/tricks/linkages, kneel/stand in front of the couch or something, that way you get the benefit of a good amount of spinning space, but still have to learn how to be able to do it over a surface so that you can do it over your desk for filming. Also, there's no drop noise and you can pick it up very quickly after drops. You could sit on the couch as well, but restricts room a little more. That or just my desk w/ a towel over it is what i tend to do.

14. Riley
    Date: Wed, Oct 20 2010 02:24:01

Desk, so I can rest my arm.

15. itzDaKine
    Date: Wed, Oct 20 2010 04:04:34

my bed is too small for to practice ps. but i woild say on my couch, on my desk, or definitely the library (in school. open a couple books so when pen falls theres padding.) thats my main spots. continual or combos its in the library or my couch. but for new tricks its on my desk!

16. c3z
    Date: Wed, Oct 20 2010 04:16:50

usually my desk but I put a shirt or jacket on top so that it doesn't get scratched when I drop the pen also on a couch or my bed. Pretty much anywhere that doesnt make loud bangs when dropping the pen.

17. happy_happy
    Date: Wed, Oct 20 2010 05:21:11

I sit on the floor, so I have all the arm movement I want and I also have carpet, so my pen is safe when I drop(which is a lot). In school I practice a lot too, but with bictory so my hand is kept in well shape for light and heavy pens for smoothness. And bictories don't make a lot of sound when dropped, so yeah I just work on my smoothness in school.. :| kinna went off-track there..

18. Rarity
    Date: Wed, Oct 20 2010 11:47:53

Bed is IMO the best because it has a soft surface and it makes very little noise when dropped. best for tricks with arm movement. im still in my noob days right now and its really helping my progress.

19. WhatsOfTheUp1
    Date: Wed, Oct 20 2010 13:46:41

Since my desk+chair is right next to my bed, I usually sit in the chair while practicing over the bed. Or if I'm in a lazy mood I'll practice while sitting on my bed. Also, school. Sure if you're practicing new tricks, you'll drop it a lot, but if you open up a book under where you drop it, it'll decrease the sound really well.

20. Pen Ninja
    Date: Thu, Oct 21 2010 15:45:37

i used to practice all my new tricks on my bed, after midnight.... if u look at most of my vids involving new concepts or stufdf thats out of my comfort zone, theyre on my bed... most of which are done between 1 and 3am.... but now ive moved and i cant do that... so i dno XD

21. Hidekyo
    Date: Thu, Oct 21 2010 19:39:56

If its a new trick i cant do it in school it just flings all over the place.