UPSB v4

Presentation / Aesthetics of the pen vs hand

1. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Oct 18 2010 01:29:00

Aside from the camera quality and angle, there are principally two things that affect the beauty of a trick: the appearance and motion of the pen vs the apperance and motion of the spinner (eg hands/fingers) What is the more important factor to you? For me it's about 50/50, you must choose tricks where the pen looks really good, but the way you execute the trick is also very important. Two people can execute the same trick, with the pen spinning in the same way but with a different impact because their hands don't look and move the same way. I think for JEB spinners, hand appearance is more important than pen appearance. For power trickers, pen appearance is more important than hand appearance. What do you think?

2. Jamal
    Date: Mon, Oct 18 2010 01:30:33

aesthetics never changed the way i looked at a person's spinning tbh, i normally just look to see what they are doing

3. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Oct 18 2010 01:31:50

Wonder wrote: aesthetics never changed the way i looked at a person's spinning tbh, i normally just look to see what they are doing
    not quite sure what you mean, esthetics just mean the beauty of the combo... this is asking whether you care more about how good the hand look, or how good the pen itself looks when you look at a combo.

4. Jamal
    Date: Mon, Oct 18 2010 01:35:40

Well what i mean is aesthetics(the beauty of it as you said) is just not really changing the way i look at the combo. Whether it be s777 with his crazy finger control to make the combo more appealing or eriror simply executing the combos without any flash, it doesn't affect how i look at the spinning, i focus on whether or not the combo is difficult and smooth, the beauty part is more of a distraction :p

5. spinford
    Date: Mon, Oct 18 2010 02:01:13

For me, I believe that you spin with your heart is all that matters. NOT THE HAND

6. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Oct 18 2010 02:05:43

@Wonder right so that means for you the pen is the only thing that matters, you don't look at the hand of fingers.

7. KTrinh93
    Date: Mon, Oct 18 2010 02:59:31

I agree with what @Zombo said in the original post about the different styles and what matters. In general though, if you were to take an average of what is more important in every style, (no clue how you would measure that but just go with it) you would probably get that the pen and the hand are equally important. When I read the question, I originally thought of Baaron and how his hand motions are a very key aspect of his style. Then I thought about Spinnerpeem when he did hai tua x8 in one of his videos (and any of his other power trick combos) and how all I see and really think about it "OMG LOOK AT THE PEN GO!" Then I usually have to watch the video to see exactly what he's doing. In any case, I think that if you're asking the question of what's most important, it depends on the situation. Asking about a spinner then you must narrow it down to whichever you feel is right for that person and/or style of spinning. If in general like say an entire style (Jap, Korean, Thai, etc...) then it might be more general.

8. wangtrevor
    Date: Tue, Nov 30 2010 05:09:39

Hi, im new to the USPB board. I just saw that this was about aesthetics and i wanted to ask if these pens look good? if anyone wants the instructions, just ask.(they all spin really well for me)