UPSB v4

General Discussion / Origin of Pen Spinning?

1. Hidekyo
    Date: Sun, Oct 17 2010 23:57:34

Who first though of spinning a pen? Like really who has the time to make up all these tricks? When did it all start?

2. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Oct 18 2010 00:19:24

That's interesting, of course there had to be a FIRST pen spinner most likely from asia... Juggling has been around for ages so going back there may have been similar "tricks" with paintbrushes, sticks, or fountain pens or pencils? Tricks & concepts are in constant development, but saw a lot of innovation in the 90's when pen spinning first caught its glimpse online. I'd say modern day pen spinning emerged in the 60-70's in japan. I wonder if anyone has grandparents who learned how to spin in school?... Btw, what happened to the history department?

3. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, Oct 18 2010 01:11:36

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen_spinning#History

History This section does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (January 2010) There is no information on the origins of pen spinning. The earliest record of pen spinning comes from a student in pre-World War II in Japan (Asahi Shimbun January 31, 2008, 37th page). While some in Asian countries did pen spinning in the 1990s, these were basic tricks such as the Thumbaround and the Finger Pass. Today, there are more variations and types of tricks, for example the Shadow, the Bak, the Twisted Sonic Bust or the Sonic. The number of pen spinning websites and forums have increased since 2006, opening up more regional boards from France, Germany, Taiwan, Japan, and Korea. Tournaments are organised on the Internet and live tournaments are held in Japan and Korea.

4. hoiboy
    Date: Mon, Oct 18 2010 02:42:18

If I remember the History Dept. app, you had to be old to be a historian or something. Like UPSB v2 old. My grandparents did the TA in school (~ WWII).

5. Pen Ninja
    Date: Mon, Oct 18 2010 03:12:01

way back people were doing staff tricks, with spears and shit, itd be reallyt intimidating to ur opponent, i figure they drew on from there, getting smaller... knives etc... then juggling and such, with those bowling pin looking juggling sticks... i know some1 who can do hai tua with one of those, but doesnt know what "sonic uprising is"... it spreads from all over