UPSB v4

Spammer's Bin / Thinking in a different language

1. Kirby
    Date: Thu, Jun 24 2010 05:16:08

So I think in english (I think). So do spanish people think in spanish? Or is there like a universal thinking language? :dunno:

2. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Jun 24 2010 05:18:25

Yes you think in whatever language you are in. Unless you want troll answers this actually raises a lot of questions about thought etc. /go to serious discussion.

3. Mike
    Date: Thu, Jun 24 2010 05:43:22

My primary language is Spanish, but I'm perfectly fluent in English. Most of my thoughts tend to be in English but for some reason, when I listen to music in Spanish, my thoughts go Spanish. lol, very odd.

4. neXus
    Date: Thu, Jun 24 2010 11:51:18

How would you think in Spanish if you don't know Spanish? I think in both German and English.

5. CaptainGolfBall
    Date: Fri, Jun 25 2010 03:22:56

I wish that you could hear your thoughts.... I speak Spanish and English, little bits of Japanese and German. But I think in 95% English / 5% Spanish.

6. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Jun 25 2010 04:15:50

i think in french mostly sometimes chinese, little english

7. Mike
    Date: Fri, Jun 25 2010 04:36:38

neXus wrote: How would you think in Spanish if you don't know Spanish? I think in both German and English.
    I just said my primary language is Spanish. lol

8. Frip
    Date: Fri, Jun 25 2010 06:06:36

I think in 50% english 50% german

9. davidguy
    Date: Fri, Jun 25 2010 08:04:14

subconsciously i believe you think in your first language, or the language you're most comfortable with, but obviously you can always make yourself think in a different language =/

10. neXus
    Date: Fri, Jun 25 2010 11:56:49

Mike wrote: I just said my primary language is Spanish. lol
    I actually did an edit to my post that apparently didn't go through. It was along the lines of: (generally speaking, not specific to you) because you were talking about a global thinking language.

11. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Jun 25 2010 12:00:27

Actually, when I am really THINKING and speaking chinese I don't know if i'm thinking the same way I do when I speak english. Because with english i am actually thinking words, in chinese it's more ideas and my mind puts the words to them? It's less planned I suppose.

12. Tetsip
    Date: Fri, Jun 25 2010 12:53:19

When i listen to people speak vietnamese, i think more vietnamese in my head than english. I'd say 75% viet 25% english. But when i speak it i think in vietnamese. and i barely know any too xD I understand better than i speak it lol.

13. Mike
    Date: Sat, Jun 26 2010 06:44:05

You know what I want to know? Is how your voice sounds like. I mean, I remember someone says that when they thought in English, they thought in the voice of a black guy. lol I know some of the older members will know what I'm talking about

14. neXus
    Date: Sat, Jun 26 2010 12:01:45

That was me. I just sometimes do that because it sounds funny but it's intentional, I control this.

15. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Jun 26 2010 12:06:35

LOL now i'm doing it to but ... yah I don't think the voice in my head is the same "sound" as the voice that comes out of me you know? Like when you are writing and thinking to yourself the words... It's like a differen't voice...

16. neXus
    Date: Sat, Jun 26 2010 12:09:33

It is but you can just record yourself to see what you sound like to others. I can't speak like the black mans voice in my head, I can think in pretty much in anybodies voice when I have heard it for a while but I can't do impressions. (sadly)

17. Resonance
    Date: Sat, Jun 26 2010 15:00:28

Most of the time I think in hebrew obviously, but I also think in english quite often... I speak english with my gf so when we're talking I'm switching to english I think... haven't really noticed. I'll try to check next time.

18. 07 Ghost
    Date: Sun, Jun 27 2010 03:24:46

I will have thoughts in Japanese but mostly English.

19. Mike
    Date: Sun, Jun 27 2010 03:27:22

This has brought up so many thoughts in me now ha ha

20. XYZaki
    Date: Sun, Jun 27 2010 06:29:13

07 Ghost wrote: I will have thoughts in Japanese but mostly English.
    This is what happens when you're a weaboo.

21. Matrix-Chan
    Date: Mon, Jun 28 2010 21:33:42

Depends on activity, if it's reading english stuff, english is my preferred thinking language, of course. And yeah, you may even control the sound, if something amazing happens I usually think it with a crazy-showmaster type of voice.

22. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Mon, Jun 28 2010 21:35:14

I usually think in English, even when talking Dutch.

23. Mike
    Date: Mon, Jun 28 2010 21:50:07

Erirornal Kraione wrote: I usually think in English, even when talking Dutch.
    What about when you didn't speak English?

24. Jamal
    Date: Mon, Jun 28 2010 23:14:55

Kirby wrote: So I think in english (I think). So do spanish people think in spanish? Or is there like a universal thinking language? :dunno:
    I'm sorry that has got to be the most idiotic question I've ever heard. I mean come on... what kind of question is that. But there has become a whole different subject about the thinking languages. If im in spanish class trying to talk spanish, I am still thinking in english just translating spanish to english in my head, i was born talking spanish but now i have completely forgot it and i never can think in spanish

25. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Wed, Jun 30 2010 11:02:22

Mike wrote: What about when you didn't speak English?
    Good question, but I don't remember a whole lot from before the time I was 4 year old. I started learning English then, and it was usually mixed, kind of. I presume I just thought in Dutch mostly then [If I even thought, hahaha], but I know that English took over at least from my 14th onward.

26. Mike
    Date: Thu, Jul 1 2010 00:11:42

Erirornal Kraione wrote: Good question, but I don't remember a whole lot from before the time I was 4 year old. I started learning English then, and it was usually mixed, kind of. I presume I just thought in Dutch mostly then [If I even thought, hahaha], but I know that English took over at least from my 14th onward.
    Does everyone in The Netherlands learn English at that age?

27. Erubieho
    Date: Thu, Jul 1 2010 03:19:33

I awalys think in spanish, which is my primary language. Two or three times I tried to think in english for fun, when I'm studying it or something. xD

28. zblader
    Date: Thu, Jul 1 2010 04:05:25

Hahah, I think mostly in Spanish, but it quite depends on the situation. For example, I might be doing a Biology test in Spanish, material is in Spanish, I must think in Spanish. XD. Or maybe some Chemistry in English, I have to think in English. xD. But yeah, normally in Spanish. Though... I tend to mix English and Spanish, and when instant-messaging with my friends, I unconsciously write some incoherent thing. xD. And might speak like that too... Hmmm. xD.

29. Kirby
    Date: Fri, Jul 2 2010 03:48:59

I'm trying to not think with words, but with objects (without names). Like if I'm thinking about trying to drop my hand, I can do it with out thinking words in my head like "I'm dropping my hand". Anyone else tried thinking without words?

30. Mike
    Date: Fri, Jul 2 2010 05:00:49

Kirby wrote: I'm trying to not think with words, but with objects (without names). Like if I'm thinking about trying to drop my hand, I can do it with out thinking words in my head like "I'm dropping my hand". Anyone else tried thinking without words?
    Well I don't really think like that, so no ha ha

31. neXus
    Date: Fri, Jul 2 2010 16:16:53

Kirby wrote: I'm trying to not think with words, but with objects (without names). Like if I'm thinking about trying to drop my hand, I can do it with out thinking words in my head like "I'm dropping my hand". Anyone else tried thinking without words?
    I think(hehe) you're talking about a different type of thinking here. We don't think about making body movements, those come natural to everyone, we're talking about a thought process like "The way I'm sitting is uncomfortable, I will put my leg there" and then move our leg without thinking "I'm moving my leg.".

32. Glamouraz
    Date: Fri, Jul 2 2010 17:11:53

A serious thread in the spammer's bin?

33. Kirby
    Date: Fri, Jul 2 2010 17:25:44

was supposed to be a simple question with maybe some sarcastic answers thrown in, but I like the direction its taking.

34. Colin
    Date: Sat, Jul 3 2010 05:49:28

neXus wrote: How would you think in Spanish if you don't know Spanish? I think in both German and English.
    I thought you thought in the voice of a Black guy :S I think in English..I confuse myself when I think in Chinese, forreals

35. neXus
    Date: Mon, Jul 5 2010 17:00:29

Sometimes I do.