UPSB v4

Pen Spinning Relations / [2.1] Centralizing Research

1. hoiboy
    Date: Fri, Sep 24 2010 02:46:15

As we all know, "research" in the pen spinning community is done by multiple groups, including UPSB's Research Department and FPSB's Laboratory (any others?). The point of this thread is to discuss how to centralize collaboration and research. Why? This is important to avoid major inconsistencies in naming (and more) such as the nomenclature of complex arounds and the definition of "swivels".

2. Nachoaddict
    Date: Fri, Sep 24 2010 03:52:40

Obviously we need some kind of system through which the Department and Laboratory can confirm information before releasing it or dispute other topics. And to avoid any errors due to translation programs, I think human translators would be great in order to relay information easily. The only problem is getting people who are committed and reliable.

3. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Sep 24 2010 12:32:39

the system right now is to have cross-appointed members such as me and a few french spinners for naming, the use of interrupted notation is not widespread in FPSB so any naming they come up should be verified here and then released officially as an article with credits

4. Hippo2626
    Date: Fri, Sep 24 2010 13:26:13

About the verification thing, I think we need a system where spinners everywhere will know about it. What I mean is, as of now, random names are popping up for different tricks and minicombos and debates about namings everywhere because of the inconsistencies in the different RDs of all the boards. Perhaps there should be a public announcement to all boards about the naming system such that they should verify it with us first before releasing it.

5. hoiboy
    Date: Sat, Sep 25 2010 16:23:25

How many RD's are there anyways?

6. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Sep 26 2010 19:15:02

7. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, Sep 27 2010 00:38:20

UPSB and FBSB? SO All the chaos in the naming came from the miscommunication between us or random spinners coming up with random names?

8. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Sep 27 2010 13:13:35

what chaos it used to be chaos then we publish a structure, some ppl have trouble or don't want to adapt

9. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, Sep 27 2010 13:37:43

The naming system seems a little messed up thats all. That was the referred "chaos" I mentioned. Then how do we reach out to that minority? (Am I going off topic?)

10. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Sep 27 2010 16:58:55

theres nothing we can do, if they dont want to use it then thats their problem, they wont be able to communicate with others that use the convention so eventually someone will have to adapt

11. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Sep 27 2010 23:05:01

Only problem is if the amount of people who don't want to adapt actually become a majority (I know I know improbable but not impossible)

12. Lindor
    Date: Tue, Sep 28 2010 22:26:31

About FPSB's laboratory, we do not pretend to make any official name for tricks. People are working on names and on some new tricks, but if a name needs to be officialized, i will post it here. There is currently 2 members working on a way to name any 2p1h tricks on FPSB, they might release an article about it. Oh, and about people who do not want to adapt... Actually, most of them do not care about the correct way to name a trick as long as they can easily describe what they are doing. This is the reason why names such as "moonwalk", "warped", "gunman" and so on may still be used often. But it is not a problem since everybody understand it - official names can be used for official breakdowns (on wiki, etc). Moreover, new names are needed essentially when people are trying to describe something unusual (2p1h, 1p2h, some strange hybrids, some aerials...). When this happen, they will use official name, because this is the best way to be sure everybody can understand the breadown. Most of the "chaos" comes from the differents ways to name some tricks in several countries - FPSB's members are still often using the old french way to name hybrids - but the "official way" is more and more used, the other one is disappearing. (example of the "old way" : "twisted sonic 24-12 (sonic 34-23 push)" instead of "sonic 34-23 ~> twisted sonic 24-12")