UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / #Ferguson #MikeBrown

1. Quake
    Date: Thu, Nov 27 2014 09:08:23

So I just wanted to post this up because I'm curious on what people's thoughts are on the whole ordeal. I for one think that this whole thing is going way too far. 1. I get that people are pissed about Mike Brown's death, The police system, and the Grand Jury's decision, but c'mon. Rioting? Really? That's what everyone's resorted to? All that does is push people to believe stereotypes about black people (unfortunately) which indirectly supports the idea's of those that backed the Grand Jury's decision. Its also bad for those that aren't looting and whatnot as it tarnishes their image. And let's be honest, for most of the people rioting, that's what this is about. IMAGE. I mean, it's really shitty how this wouldn't be a big deal if Mike Brown had been white. Or Asian. The fact that he was black and the officer who shot him was white was the whole issue. Truthfully, it all comes back to skin color. I get that slavery was abolished in under the last 100 years, but c'mon. This is getting stupid. it's like I heard someone today say "Omgosh, slavery still affects us today, and that's why Ferguson is such a big issue." Um, bitch no it doesn't. Have you ever been a slave? I doubt it. Was any of your immediate family a slave? No? Didn't think so. It might be apart of your cultural history, but it ain't affecting you currently. That's like me saying, "Oh, I'm related to Genghis Khan."(I am. Don't ask.)" I now have this great urge to conquer China and slaughter people." 2. Secondly, Rioting. Fucking Rioting. Part of rioting that annoys me is that a lot of people assume that rioting and protesting are the same thing. THEY ARE NOT. I get the idea of protesting. If you feel like you need your voice to be heard, then by all means, protest. But when people start rioting and looting and resorting to violence, I feel like they lose the heart of what they are really standing and protesting for. I mean, look at MLK. Look at what he accomplished through peaceful protesting. And let's be honest, the world was a whole lot more black and white back then in terms of how people saw everyone. (No pun intended.) 3. Another thing. Most people don't know half the shit that's going on. They just hear the basic "White cop kills black kid" and suddenly their up in arms. And over what? They're not really trying to bring forth justice. They're angry because a black kid got killed by a white man. I'm sorry, but that's the honest truth. 4.And then the point that takes the cake. This is something I've heard from so many people when voicing their arguments: BUT YOU"RE NOT BLACK SO YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND. ... I get that blacks/African Americans have gone through a whole ton of shit throughout history. Hell, they still do. And without a doubt, I respect their strength and drive to push forward. I can understand that some people might have relatives or family members who grew up in the Civil Rights era, and thus their life experiences and stories were told to the current generation, shaping and molding their thoughts and opinions about the world. And yet, in this case I do not believe that past experiences are excuses for present mistakes. What's truly sad is that I feel like this whole thing in Ferguson isn't about Mike Brown anymore. It's just racial tension blowing up. What makes me sick is the people who commit crimes in the name of Mike Brown. I get that he was apparently stealing. Is that wrong? Yes. Does that mean you should steal in his memory? Fuck no. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” -MLK Anyways, my rant for the day. Really needed to get it off my chest. Feel free to leave your opinions and comments as well. If you disagree with me, then please. State your opinion. Share your thoughts. We might not see eye to eye on everything, but that doesn't mean I wont respect what you have to say.

2. fang
    Date: Thu, Nov 27 2014 09:41:06

"What's truly sad is that I feel like this whole thing in Ferguson isn't about Mike Brown anymore."
    I agree with this one, because it's about every black kid that was shot by the police twice a week for the last 6 years. It's about the double standard where white people can walk around with guns:
    Spoiler[ATTACH=CONFIG]969[/ATTACH]
    And a black kid gets shot for carnying a toy gun.
    Spoiler[ATTACH=CONFIG]970[/ATTACH]
    This is about racism. This is about how little has change over 200 years.
    Spoiler[ATTACH=CONFIG]971[/ATTACH]
    I completely understand the rage of that crowd. I agree with you, Obama and Brow's family that violence is not the answer, but who is going to tell the police?

3. Quake
    Date: Thu, Nov 27 2014 09:53:40

fang wrote: but who is going to tell the police?
    "Violence is not the answer, but it sure as hell catches people's attention." Great question, with an answer that tbh is hard to come up with. I've heard people that are like "It's simple. Don't hire scumbag cops." Like, seriously. That doesn't solve shit. I understand why people are protesting. And I mean, like the actual people who give a shit about what's going on and aren't just using this as a ruse to steal stuff. The police are meant to protect the people, to serve the people and to follow the law. But they are also meant to use common sense and good judgement. Ideally, we'd want our police officers to have a strong moral code, to truly understand right from wrong, and to make honest and intelligent choices. But that's something that is a bit far off. When it comes down to it, it's an abuse of power by the police force. Does that mean every officer is like that? No. But there are definitely those that are. Unfortunately, we can't just weed them out and get rid of them, since it's not that easy to just find out who they are. They say that if you want to discover a man's true character, that you should give him power and see what he does with it. If we follow cold hard facts, it just shows that there aren't as many people of good solid character anymore... and it's truly sad.

4. Solaire
    Date: Fri, Nov 28 2014 01:22:57

At a store I was at, two black guys jumped a skinny white guy. If it were reversed it would have been national news... Race isn't an issue. If a black man commits a crime and is killed then it's apparently racism. If it's white then there's not an issue... Seriously which group is truly "racist"? The white people for killing a dark skinned individual or, the group that is trying to make everything about race? A crime was committed by a man who happened to be darker than most people... That doesn't mean it's racism. It's like feminists that say oh men make us work it's unfair and then they say oh they treat us like we can't do the same work as them. It's rather irritating.

5. nv16
    Date: Fri, Nov 28 2014 03:58:55

Solaire wrote: At a store I was at, two black guys jumped a skinny white guy. If it were reversed it would have been national news... Race isn't an issue. If a black man commits a crime and is killed then it's apparently racism. If it's white then there's not an issue... Seriously which group is truly "racist"? The white people for killing a dark skinned individual or, the group that is trying to make everything about race? A crime was committed by a man who happened to be darker than most people... That doesn't mean it's racism. It's like feminists that say oh men make us work it's unfair and then they say oh they treat us like we can't do the same work as them. It's rather irritating.
    nah but you see the problem is that a white police officer, (who has been accused as being part of the KKK), shot a black man multiple times, for what was originally claimed as jaywalking, then the police claimed it was for stealing cigarettes even though there is video evidence of him paying for the cigs. And he unquestionably shot him while he had his hands up above his head, you know, the universal sign of surrendering, showing youre unarmed. There is also a witness testimony from the person who was walking with and talking to Mike Brown at the time saying that the officer pulled up beside them, told them to get off the road onto the foot path, then because they didn't do so after about a second, pulled up and started choking Mike Brown (saw the video on tumblr the other day so I can't re-find the source but oh well). Both of which are crimes that defiantly don't deserve getting shot to death, especially if you're surrendering like that. Then the courts, consisting of mostly white people, have gone and discarded the loads of evidence that could completely end the officer's career and put him in jail for doing such a horrible thing, and instead allowed him to continue on. Which has sort of created a tipping point because look at how fucking bad the legal system is, that a white police officer can murder someone who had their hands up, and get away with it, because the person they murdered was black. I mean if that's not about racism then I dont know what is... btw I cbf sourcing everything right now cause I have to go somewhere in like 5 minutes but if you want me to I can find them when I come back.

6. Solaire
    Date: Fri, Nov 28 2014 04:06:44

nv16 wrote: nah but you see the problem is that a white police officer, (who has been accused as being part of the KKK), shot a black man multiple times, for what was originally claimed as jaywalking, then the police claimed it was for stealing cigarettes even though there is video evidence of him paying for the cigs. And he unquestionably shot him while he had his hands up above his head, you know, the universal sign of surrendering, showing youre unarmed. There is also a witness testimony from the person who was walking with and talking to Mike Brown at the time saying that the officer pulled up beside them, told them to get off the road onto the foot path, then because they didn't do so after about a second, pulled up and started choking Mike Brown (saw the video on tumblr the other day so I can't re-find the source but oh well). Both of which are crimes that defiantly don't deserve getting shot to death, especially if you're surrendering like that. Then the courts, consisting of mostly white people, have gone and discarded the loads of evidence that could completely end the officer's career and put him in jail for doing such a horrible thing, and instead allowed him to continue on. Which has sort of created a tipping point because look at how fucking bad the legal system is, that a white police officer can murder someone who had their hands up, and get away with it, because the person they murdered was black. I mean if that's not about racism then I dont know what is... btw I cbf sourcing everything right now cause I have to go somewhere in like 5 minutes but if you want me to I can find them when I come back.
    alright i forgot about most of that, disregard my previous post XD i completely forgot about all of those details

7. Tentcell
    Date: Fri, Nov 28 2014 04:18:06

Did you guys doubting the outcome of the case even bother looking at the document posted by the Feguson courts after the decision was made? Seriously, you people spouting that this was a racist act really need to look at what's in front of you, please don't go off on something if you're not educated in the topic, you're almost worse than the media. Various witnesses have come forth saying that Dorian, Brown's cousin who was with him when he was killed, went around telling witnesses what they should say to police (he had his hands up, he was executed, Wilson had put a full clip into him ect ect.). A few shop owners were intimidated into saying falsities to the authorities, including the shop that Brown had stolen from before he was shot. There were SO MANY inconsistencies in the reports that claimed that the killing was unjust, where the only consistencies could be found in the accounts that showed the Wilson was justified in shooting Michael Brown. Here's basically the watered down version of the 4800 page .pdf released, neatly organized for your viewing: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/11/25/us/evidence-released-in-michael-brown-case.html Now for the kid in Cleveland, he was wielding an airsoft gun when he encountered the police. picture of said airsoft gun:

Spoiler
    Picture of the actual type of gun the airsoft gun was replicating:
    Spoiler
    Now if that doesn't look similar, then I don't know what does. Obviously, it is very tragic that both of these kid's died, and a shot to the leg would've ended the situation just fine (and to people asking why Wilson didn't use a taser... Their police station couldn't afford them, so he didn't have one.) but when you're in these high stress situations, human error is expected. But calling them unjustified and racist? You're just ignorant and have to pull the hood from over your eyes because you're exactly the type of people who listen to whatever you see on your twitter/facebook/news stations/online websites and not question it. And if you want to argue against me, I won't send you to some fucking CNN videos, or MSNBC which obviously lean liberal, or some anonymous web video lol, I'll send you to the court case .pdf with the page and paragraph. If you try to argue with me using news sources, I will make fun of you until the day you die, because you're a complete joke. Fighting oppression starts with educating yourself so you're not swinging in the dark.

8. Yaiya
    Date: Fri, Nov 28 2014 05:22:33

I feel like this Is just about built up anger from the African Americans. Every since America was founded there have always been racism and it's still around today. Please don't tell me that reverse racism is a thing because it's not. White people have never felt the type of harshness that African Americans went through and still going through. I think we shouldn't ask why the people of Ferguson are destroying their own town but what drove them to this state of anger in the first place. I'm sorry but race shouldn't even be a thing. Using the term white/black or any other terms to categorize people that are different from you just makes things worse. I'm am not white. I'm not American. I'm human. And another thing, what if the cop just wanted to kill because he was a psycho? Maybe it's not even about race.

9. nv16
    Date: Fri, Nov 28 2014 08:32:34

Tentcell;292947]Now for the kid in Cleveland, he was wielding an airsoft gun when he encountered the police. picture of said airsoft gun: Picture of the actual type of gun the airsoft gun was replicating: Now if that doesn't look similar, then I don't know what does.[/QUOTE] >Implying that if you're carrying something that looks like a gun police should shoot you on sight without questioning you about it... Alrighty then...... [QUOTE=Tentcell;292947]Did you guys doubting the outcome of the case even bother looking at the document posted by the Feguson courts after the decision was made? Seriously, you people spouting that this was a racist act really need to look at what's in front of you, please don't go off on something if you're not educated in the topic, you're almost worse than the media.[/QUOTE] Yeah you're right, I'm not really in a position to make any statements. [QUOTE=Tentcell;292947]You're just ignorant and have to pull the hood from over your eyes because you're exactly the type of people who listen to whatever you see on your twitter/facebook/news stations/online websites and not question it.[/QUOTE] Nah, actually almost all of my English assignments that I've done over the past two years have been about how the media manipulate everything to sway people views and that we should question it. I did, in fact, question the sources but chose to use it anyways because I couldn't be fucked looking for better ones and reading the court shit because I have shit I need to do in life other than reading about some guy who was shot to death in a completely different country. Plus I don't really care much about this case anyway cause I'm not in America, I'm not black, so it doesn't really effect me in the slightest besides social media everywhere talking about it. That being said, as a member of a society that has a long history of racism towards the indigenous Australians, I have an descent understanding (from 4 years of doing a min of 2 assignments to do with it a year) of the racism towards them as that issue is something that is a lot more relevant to Australian citizens like myself. [QUOTE=Tentcell wrote: And if you want to argue against me, I won't send you to some fucking CNN videos, or MSNBC which obviously lean liberal, or some anonymous web video lol,
    lol are they? I dont know shit about CNN or MSNBC, never even been on their sites or watched their news before cause hey, I'm not American. Yeah that anonymous video is dodgy af lmao. But yeah, you're right, I probably should have kept doing what I have been for the past few days, and just not said anything about it because all I know about it is from sketchy af reports from bs social media sites full of crazy fuckin sjw that believe everything they see on the site. *cough*tumblr*cough* So I apologize for my ignorance, and I'll leave the stating if this case is racist or not to you, as you clearly know more about it than me. Unless of course you're bullshitting all of us and haven't actually read it and pulled that all outta your arse