UPSB v4

Member Introductions / New guy here with a few questions!!!

1. Discoveringmypath
    Date: Sun, Nov 16 2014 04:58:32

Hello All, My name is David, I have dabbled in pen spinning over the years, but never really got past the fundamentals. The past 2 months I have been spinning quite a bit though; partly because I'm in the Air Force, deployed, and work an office job where I sit for 12 hours a day in front of a computer screen. I'm the type of person who has to be doing something with his hands, so naturally I like things such as pen spinning. With any luck, I have been better and better learning more and more tricks (still not an expert, by any means).. Before I go, I had a few questions I was hoping I could ask instead of clogging up the forum with questions that have probably been asked before. Some tricks have names, but they seem to be just a combo of two tricks. Example: Warped Sonic: charge and then pass. Why is it a Trick rather than a combo? Is this considered a Hybrid trick? Next and final question for now is: Is there a name for the following? An inverse sonic combined with a shadow. Not an inverse sonic and then a shadow, but basically half way through the rotation of an inverse sonic, you do a shadow. Just wondering if this has a name because it is my favorite new trick... Thanks for any help here and I look forward to being more active on this forum! - David

2. JackyMacky
    Date: Sun, Nov 16 2014 05:57:00

Welcome to the board! ^_^ Yes, warped sonic is considered a hybrid trick so we dictate it as a trick. I'm not sure about the inverse sonic shadow hybrid though because I've also wondered about that hybrid myself....could be a new trick? xD If you have any more questions, feel free to post them in the shoutbox above this forum. Someone is bound to answer it (hopefully).

3. casual
    Date: Sun, Nov 16 2014 06:46:57

Actually warped sonic might as well be a combo, since there's no interrupting of anything: it's simply a full charge followed by a pass. Pen spinning terminology is pretty arbitrary though, so nobody really pays any mind. The thing is when somebody says 'warped sonic' most pen spinners would know that that is referring to charge > pass so we pretty much roll with it, treating it as a single trick. I wouldn't really say it's a hybrid trick, since usually a hybrid trick is defined as anything involving interrupting a trick with another trick (without completing the first trick), which warped sonic doesn't really qualify. As for your inverse sonic > shadow, it is generally considered to be a combo, since inverse sonic and shadow are both 2 tricks that have been defined by the pen spinning community, whereas the combination of the two hasn't been explicitly named. One can argue that this 'combo' involves interrupting the inverse sonic with a shadow without completing it, since you do the shadow from the 13 slot (index finger and ring finger) which would mean you don't complete the inverse sonic by catching it in 12. This may be true, but we usually notate it as something like inverse sonic 23-13 > shadow 13-23 or something, basically treating the incomplete inverse sonic as a trick itself. The accuracy of this notation is a bit questionable, but it is one convention people use. Other people might opt for the ~ notation, which signifies that the shadow interrupts the inverse sonic, treating the entire sequence as an unnamed hybrid. tl;dr: pen spinning notation is pretty hazy territory, but most of the community agrees that as long as we understand what you are trying to say in the notation, it is acceptable notation. The ideal way to communicate would be by filming a video, but notation is just a convenient substitute for that.

4. Discoveringmypath
    Date: Sun, Nov 16 2014 16:24:05

Thanks for the replies to my questions. I would agree that a warped sonic is really a combo instead of a Hybrid. The definition of a Hybrid like you said makes a lot of sense involving the interruption of a trick. either way, it is probably irrelevent as long as we all know what we are talking about.

5. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Mon, Nov 17 2014 03:50:53

wow so cool. i want to join the air force too but i only want to work as an aerospace engineer. so idk. WELCOME to UPSB :]