UPSB v4

Linkages & Combos / Video: Seriously Simple PS Linkages

1. MPC
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 20:18:15

I hope some of you guys can help me out with this: After @ShadowParadox uploaded his excellent 'learning order for beginners', I decided it was time I offered some help to the community's newcomers too. When I was 2 or 3 months in, I kept clicking on videos called 'beginner linkages' and finding tricks like spreads, triangle passes and bakfalls. Great videos for people who know those tricks - but far too advanced for beginners who've only just learned the fundamentals. So this is a video of seriously simple linkages for total beginners who've never even strung two tricks together. I hope this helps new spinners to start creating linkages earlier and developing their style earlier. Because that's where the fun is, I think. But I need a bit of help from established spinners first: I'm not great with notation. So if I've got any of the breakdowns wrong here, please let me know and I'll change it. Also, is there anyone else who'd be willing to make a similar video for total beginners to work from? I think if five or six of us made videos like this then it would give them a really good resource to help them start developing their styles earlier. Let me know. Thanks. mpc

2. PancakeReaper
    Date: Wed, Nov 5 2014 03:58:57

Thank you soo much! I needed this thanks. I'm a bit new to pen spinning as you can already tell. So i was trying to find some simple linkages to work on my control but couldn't find any. This has helped me and i hope it'll help others as well.

3. MPC
    Date: Wed, Nov 5 2014 07:31:28

Glad it helps @PancakeReaper Hopefully we can get some more like this uploaded. :) mpc

4. Pen15
    Date: Wed, Nov 5 2014 11:00:31

I already know those tricks but it so helpful to spin another person's linkage. Everyone links different tricks together.

5. MPC
    Date: Wed, Nov 5 2014 11:14:00

@Pen15 exactly. Watch how others do it and decide what bits you like, which bits fit your own style, and forget the rest. So many vids like this, but not many that just use the most basic tricks. Mpc

6. m1ch1
    Date: Wed, Nov 5 2014 17:16:20

Tigres made a good linkage tutorial series ( too lazy to insert link becuase i'm not on computer)

7. nv16
    Date: Thu, Nov 6 2014 10:50:35

wow I wish I had this when I was starting, took me ages to be able to learn to smoothly link stuff, these'd have made it so much faster...

m1ch1 wrote: Tigres made a good linkage tutorial series ( too lazy to insert link becuase i'm not on computer)
    These ones: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqvo4PPYx7nU8j3Cjz2u6dZ7s0FERNJ7y They're an excellent place to go once you've got a good understanding of linking trick together, they've got some more complex moves to do with more circular flow that'll take some practice to learn but pay off in making nice looking links and combo's

8. MPC
    Date: Fri, Nov 7 2014 07:46:40

Yeah I've been having a look at them myself. They're really good. Creepy music tho. :P mpc

9. MPC
    Date: Fri, Nov 7 2014 19:17:18

@ChowCow I invite you guys to film a super simple linkages video too. It takes barely ten minutes (unless you do fancy editing) and it helps the new members develop their styles. :) mpc

10. ShadowParadox
    Date: Fri, Nov 7 2014 19:20:04

@MPC "a super simple link" 1 or multiple?

11. LighT*
    Date: Fri, Nov 7 2014 19:23:52

MPC wrote: @ChowCow I invite you guys to film a super simple linkages video too. It takes barely ten minutes (unless you do fancy editing) and it helps the new members develop their styles. :) mpc
    I have some other videos I want to do first, I might do it this weekend though if im in the mood :)

12. MPC
    Date: Fri, Nov 7 2014 19:26:27

@ShadowParadox whatever you like. My personal opinion, we shud just try to make the stuff we would've like to have when we were just starting out (just like your excellent learning order). For me, this is the kind of video I was always looking for but could rarely find. :) mpc

13. ChowCow
    Date: Sat, Nov 8 2014 02:01:38

Alright sure! i'll try to do it my combos arent exactly simple lol *edit* Finished https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWJ7YYUejhs&feature=youtu.be This isnt strictly speaking beginner beginner, but more towards those that spin something simple like a bictory and know the basics.

14. MPC
    Date: Sat, Nov 8 2014 05:40:34

@ChowCow I love it! Great job. Yes, they got a little harder at the end. But I like that - it gives it an arc. A trajectory. :P mpc

15. m1ch1
    Date: Sat, Nov 8 2014 14:12:06

here is a video by fideua with some pretty good linkages https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAtnAR0gV0A

16. nyt-FURY360
    Date: Sat, Nov 15 2014 13:09:53

a pass could do?

17. OPdelivers
    Date: Sat, Nov 29 2014 15:45:48

Tigress's links are pretty awesome. Im working on his linkage #5 since I love those kind of circular linkages so much.

18. Yone
    Date: Sat, Nov 29 2014 18:35:21

I would like to see more of this, it really helped me. :excited: