UPSB v4

Off-topic / What is one word that best describes the entirety of who you are as a person?

1. Soren
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 20:49:07

I'm currently having trouble with this question or rather this advice that my friend gave me. "Always stay true to who you are as a person." I don't really know who I am as a person. And without knowing this, how will I able to stay true to who I am? So before I begin to explore myself, I would like to see what other people would describe themselves with one word. What is that one word which encapsulates all that you are as a person? What is that one word in which you represent? I know it may be hard to come up with only one word. But there is a reason why I want you describe what you are with one word. You may be caring, helpful, or nice, but at the core of it, there must be one that which trumps the rest. I am also looking for this one word that best describe myself, and I will embrace it. I will in fact, change my name on v5 to this word. Supergirl? Soren? Who's that? That tells me nothing about myself. I watched this anime recently called Hamatora, and in it, the characters are called Nice, Moral, Birthday etc. I feel like their names reflects themselves as a person in one way or another. So I too, am looking for this word that represents who I am. Please remember to explain why this one word best describes who you are as a person.

2. Quake
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 22:20:40

My word: Excellence. I chose this word not because I'm perfect or anything, but because "excellence" envelopes my love for the dreams that I have, as well as the fire and drive to pursue them wholeheartedly. Everything I do, whether large or small, I try to do to the best of my ability. Working hard and striving to be the best I can be at whatever I am doing is what makes me who I am.

3. Soren
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 22:39:16

That's pretty sweet @Quake

4. Xzeria
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 22:39:39

Awkward.

5. cl3ud.kr
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 22:59:58

Heretical.

6. Soren
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 23:02:36

cl3ud.kr wrote: Heretical.
    You practise religious heresy?

7. cl3ud.kr
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 23:14:24

Soren wrote: You practise religious heresy?
    that's an interesting question. i don't intend to offend anyone. but i tend to disagree with everyone. i just like. do what i want. based on what i've learned in the past.

8. Soren
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 23:19:53

cl3ud.kr wrote: that's an interesting question. i don't intend to offend anyone. but i tend to disagree with everyone. i just like. do what i want. based on what i've learned in the past.
    Do you do this all the time to the point that the first thing when your friend's think about you is "oh yeah that cloud girl, she's the one thats always disagreeing with people's religious opinion".

9. cl3ud.kr
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 23:30:52

Soren wrote: Do you do this all the time to the point that the first thing when your friend's think about you is "oh yeah that cloud girl, she's the one thats always disagreeing with people's religious opinion".
    no. i don't disagree with people's religious opinion on purpose just for the sake of it. but yes, people may think of me as disagreeing a lot. because i have my own thoughts. when people say things like "dooood playdate is so old you're in middle school now start using hang out" i obviously disagree. i have no intention of being "cool" whatsoever, i have my own life, i'm not going to let my actions, way of speech, or anything else be ruined or corrupted by others. but i do listen to people when they have a point. things like religion. i do not believe in. no proof, no belief. i'm sorry. the first word people would probably think of when they think of me is pen spinning, but in a community like this, that's not going to mean much. the second word would probably be smart, but i'm in a public school. kids here think everything is smart. i personally think i'm not quite that advanced, but okay. the third word would be talented. and i actually agree to that. i'll have to change my word to talented. but i am still very heretical.

10. Soren
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 23:33:19

cl3ud.kr wrote: no. i don't disagree with people's religious opinion on purpose just for the sake of it. but yes, people may think of me as disagreeing a lot. because i have my own thoughts. when people say things like "dooood playdate is so old you're in middle school now start using hang out" i obviously disagree. i have no intention of being "cool" whatsoever, i have my own life, i'm not going to let my actions, way of speech, or anything else be ruined or corrupted by others. but i do listen to people when they have a point. things like religion. i do not believe in. no proof, no belief. i'm sorry. the first word people would probably think of when they think of me is pen spinning, but in a community like this, that's not going to mean much. the second word would probably be smart, but i'm in a public school. kids here think everything is smart. i personally think i'm not quite that advanced, but okay. the third word would be talented. and i actually agree to that. i'll have to change my word to talented. but i am still very heretical.
    I didn't mean that you do it on purpose if that's what you thought. So what's your religious standing then. As in, what's your belief?

11. cl3ud.kr
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 23:39:11

Soren wrote: I didn't mean that you do it on purpose if that's what you thought. So what's your religious standing then. As in, what's your belief?
    i am an atheist. i believe that humans are the ones that created god, the story. but i don't criticize people for their beliefs. to me, there is no evidence of god, except for "faith". there are also many statements in the bible that contradict with proven facts. but i leave everyone to their own faith. i did say that i don't criticize people for their beliefs, but i do criticize the religion. religion has been the cause for many destructive things in this world. as a pacifist, i don't really approve of religion.

12. Soren
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 23:42:08

cl3ud.kr wrote: i am an atheist. i believe that humans are the ones that created god, the story. but i don't criticize people for their beliefs. to me, there is no evidence of god, except for "faith". there are also many statements in the bible that contradict with proven facts. but i leave everyone to their own faith. i did say that i don't criticize people for their beliefs, but i do criticize the religion. religion has been the cause for many destructive things in this world. as a pacifist, i don't really approve of religion.
    Are you saying that you are an atheist [B]because[/B] human created god? Because that's not what an atheist is. Also, when you say that humans created god, are you also saying that you don't believe in a god?

13. cl3ud.kr
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 23:54:49

Soren wrote: Are you saying that you are an atheist [B]because[/B] human created god? Because that's not what an atheist is. Also, when you say that humans created god, are you also saying that you don't believe in a god?
    no i'm saying that i'm an atheist because i do not believe that a god exists. and when i say humans created god, it's just a metaphor. god doesn't actually exist, the story of god, and the bible is just that, a story. i do not believe that there is a true god. i prefer to stick to the scientific theories that can be proven.

14. Soren
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 00:00:08

cl3ud.kr wrote: no i'm saying that i'm an atheist because i do not believe that a god exists. and when i say humans created god, it's just a metaphor. god doesn't actually exist, the story of god, and the bible is just that, a story. i do not believe that there is a true god. i prefer to stick to the scientific theories that can be proven.
    If scientific theories can be proven then it's not scientific. It's scientific if its subject to being falsified. Ok, so you don't believe in a god. What are your reasons for supposing that a god doesn't exist? Also, are you saying with 100% certainty that a god doesn't exist?

15. Awesome
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 00:01:46

Awesome A point to consider is that you aren't what can be described but the abstract consciousness that observes what you are. Its what can't be labeled so you are never going to find a word that is sufficient. Just say "I am" and observe the space that follows.

16. cl3ud.kr
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 00:06:00

Soren wrote: If scientific theories can be proven then it's not scientific. It's scientific if its subject to being falsified. Ok, so you don't believe in a god. What are your reasons for supposing that a god doesn't exist? Also, are you saying with 100% certainty that a god doesn't exist?
    um? i'm not that good at science but.. if scientific theories can be proven then it's not scientific? the theory of spontaneous generation started out as a theory, but experiments disproved the theory. and yet the theory was still scientific. am i misunderstanding, or? my reasons for supposing that a god does not exist. well first of all. wrong facts in the bible. the world was not created 6000 years ago. people don't walk on water. the moon isn't a light source. etc. and no, i am not saying with 100% certainty that a god doesn't exist. i don't say anything with 100% certainty.

17. Yaiya
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 00:55:33

Unusual.

18. nv16
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 01:47:28

Is it good idea to know who you are as a person and be able to sum yourself up in a word? Does having an idea of who you think you are as a person inadvertently cause you to try become this idea of who you think you are and stop being yourself? By doing that does who you are become what you thought you were like hence making you thoughts seem true? imo, who you are as a person is who you decide to become to some extent, but idk I'm 16 and dont know a great deal about this subject but anyways, thats just my thoughts.

cl3ud.kr;291382]my reasons for supposing that a god does not exist. well first of all. wrong facts in the bible. the world was not created 6000 years ago. people don't walk on water. the moon isn't a light source. etc.[/QUOTE] This is pre much the reason I don't believe that God exists, the bible is so full of bullshit that all credibility is kinda lost. [QUOTE=Soren wrote: I watched this anime recently called Hamatora, and in it, the characters are called Nice, Moral, Birthday etc. I feel like their names reflects themselves as a person in one way or another.
    Nice is nice, Moral has skewed morals, as for Birthday, life's a party :P Good anime tho, you seen season 2 as well? thoughts on the anime? seems like it the kinds thing you'd like

19. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 01:52:31

Tiresome

20. Tetsip
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 02:01:57

Titsip

21. Dudak
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 02:27:27

Swoll

22. pshclear
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 10:35:16

freewheeling

23. MPC
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 11:25:28

Curious. That's a bit of a cheat tho, cos it as two meanings. Both of them apply to me tho: I am driven by curiosity and people find me to be quite a curious person (meaning unusual, strange, contradictory). I'm relentlessly cheerful but really self-critical, headstrong but open minded, silly but driven. Academic but uncultured. BUT if you'd asked me the same question when I was 19, my answer would've been completely different. Remember that. My one word to describe @Soren - Loquacious

24. Vedyl
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 11:53:20

Observer Because often I feel like im just some ghost which is there only to observe. Someone who isn't a part of the happening. Someone who nobody would notice if he was gone the next second, like he never existed. Someone irrelevant.

25. Soren
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 11:59:10

MPC wrote: Curious. That's a bit of a cheat tho, cos it as two meanings. Both of them apply to me tho: I am driven by curiosity and people find me to be quite a curious person (meaning unusual, strange, contradictory). I'm relentlessly cheerful but really self-critical, headstrong but open minded, silly but driven. Academic but uncultured. BUT if you'd asked me the same question when I was 19, my answer would've been completely different. Remember that. My one word to describe @Soren - Loquacious
    Oh the irony in that word. If you met me irl I would be as shy as a pie. I wouldn't even know what to say to you. I only talk a lot on the shoutbox because I can complain about shit that no one wants to hear, I can say random shit that no cares about and I can also venture into more controversial topics.

26. Soren
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 18:09:37

nv16 wrote: Is it good idea to know who you are as a person and be able to sum yourself up in a word? Does having an idea of who you think you are as a person inadvertently cause you to try become this idea of who you think you are and stop being yourself? By doing that does who you are become what you thought you were like hence making you thoughts seem true? imo, who you are as a person is who you decide to become to some extent, but idk I'm 16 and dont know a great deal about this subject but anyways, thats just my thoughts. This is pre much the reason I don't believe that God exists, the bible is so full of bullshit that all credibility is kinda lost. Nice is nice, Moral has skewed morals, as for Birthday, life's a party :P Good anime tho, you seen season 2 as well? thoughts on the anime? seems like it the kinds thing you'd like
    Yes it's a good idea. But I don't mean to sound like that it is simply one word. One word can branch into many things. Not necessarily. And if it does happen, you didn't choose the right word. Many wuts for your third question. Yes I have seen season two. T'was a good watch, had a good laugh, implored into some thoughts, ending was satisfying enough.

27. Soren
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 18:10:16

Vedyl wrote: Observer Because often I feel like im just some ghost which is there only to observe. Someone who isn't a part of the happening. Someone who nobody would notice if he was gone the next second, like he never existed. Someone irrelevant.
    Bro, you're never irrelevant. Never to me.

28. ShadowParadox
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 18:36:11

Horny... ....what did u expect?!

29. AfroSquared
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 19:43:32

Equivocal (not really I just like the word :3)

30. ChainBreak
    Date: Tue, Nov 4 2014 21:41:45

One word is pretty difficult. If I had to choose one it would probably be confusing. It's not really how I see myself, but rather what I think would be the one word people who know me best would use to describe me. I already noticed at the age of ~14 that people were often confused by my thought processes and way of speaking and had difficulty understanding me. Since it was a problem when even my teachers couldn't understand me I started thinking more about myself and which words others use to explain certain thoughts. Most of it was when people said things like ,,you're so silly!" which I back then took literally and was offended because of it instead of recognizing the true nature of the statement. Looking back I was really behind in terms of understanding such things, but since I took quite some time focusing on this area and improving my understanding of it I'm currently at a level most people would probably find unreasonable. Some rough, basic knowledge of linguistic constructions, their implications in regard to the circumstances they're used in and ideas of the persons thought process come automatically to me. The problem I now have often is that due to my rather impatient nature I tend to finish the thought process of a person speaking to me when they are midsentence and just blurt it out which most people find rude. Of course my guessed train of thought is not always correct, but with people I've known for some time it's more "stable". And since I tend to think more deeply on what I say than most people my choice of words and the structure of my sentences still often confuse people who are not familiar with me. Though recently I think I'm starting to be able to be less confusing as I find out more about thought processes I can observe with myself and use the knowledge to be more implicative about what I say. This is something I noticed btw: Most people are very implicative in what they say. They mostly assume some familiarity with their language's unique constructs.

31. Vedyl
    Date: Wed, Nov 5 2014 00:00:29

Soren wrote: Bro, you're never irrelevant. Never to me.
    Thank you man, it means a lot to me.