UPSB v4

Fundamental Tricks / Learnign Through Checkpoints

1. Letho72
    Date: Wed, Oct 22 2014 17:16:53

I've been spinning for about half a year now so I'll try t share some knowledge of how I learned my basics. I used a "self taught" method of making checkpoints in every trick (I still used tutorials a lot though!!). For example, the charge has a "reset" position. If you find that your charge is dying after one or two, it's because it isn't reaching this checkpoint. It's located about 10 o clock if you think of the rotations as a clock, once the pen reaches this point it will naturally fall in a circular motion giving you that smooth look. For a twisted sonic, using this same checkpoint will make it circular at the beginning, and using one at about 2 o clock when the pen is in the 12 slot will complete the trick looking smooth. If this made any sense and there's interest in elaboration please let me know! If you think it's stupid, that's fine. You can let it drift into oblivion

2. nv16
    Date: Fri, Oct 24 2014 12:34:49

I think you could be onto something here, although it'd probably end up creating another super confusing addition to the many notation systems lol. I can definitely see what you mean by checkpoints, most tricks have certain points that you've got to do certain things in order to learn the basic trick, then once you have that down you can start varying the points to change the way it links into other tricks. For example, when learning a palm spin, it is most often taught from a TA to PS, this requires the performer to open their hand at the correct time, and opening at different times can affect the difficulty/execution of the PS. (for me at least) Opening sooner causes the pen to spin further up on the edge of the joint between the index finger and palm, and opening later has the opposite effect. Opening at the exact right time causes it to spin exactly balanced upon the joint between the index and palm allowing for a balanced and controlled high revolution spin. Having these checkpoints at the places people should aim for to be able to learn the trick in the easiest manner might be a helpful addition to the ways of teaching people. idk that's just my thoughts on the subject