UPSB v4

General Discussion / The Placebo Effect in Pen Spinning???

1. AfroSquared
    Date: Sat, Oct 4 2014 12:31:43

I know this a really dumb-ass thread, and you might go :whut: or :...: afterwards but.... could you apply the placebo effect into pen spinning? So recently i learned about the placebo effect and started wondering if you could boost your pen spinning level (this isn't pokemon.lol) by using the placebo effect. Eg. A very good spinner who has very little control and drops all the time, is given a special (fake) pill that a fellow spinner says it increases grip and control when taken. Next thing you know his control is so beastly, that he can do vgg links with ease and beats Spinnerpeem in WT15's final and is so happy he looks like this --->:pickle: Again, i know it is really dumb, it is just a thought on my mind :D (btw i am not a psychologist so i probably made a mistake somewhere.....)

2. Xienix
    Date: Sat, Oct 4 2014 12:49:44

Penspinning isn't big enough to try that .... and most of the time there are real alternatives instead of placebo, which isn't the case here so unless researchers are willing to make a pill which does exactly that,I don't think it will work (I'm not a doctor nor do I really know if there is something out there which makes your grip stronger)

3. m1ch1
    Date: Sat, Oct 4 2014 13:02:20

I don't think, that it works, because the biggest part of PS is memorization of muscle movements, so its a more mental thing and in most cases the placebo effect boots physical abilities.

4. AfroSquared
    Date: Sat, Oct 4 2014 14:05:36

Xienix wrote: Penspinning isn't big enough to try that .... and most of the time there are real alternatives instead of placebo, which isn't the case here so unless researchers are willing to make a pill which does exactly that,I don't think it will work (I'm not a doctor nor do I really know if there is something out there which makes your grip stronger)
    Oh no...it was just an example, i know pen spinning isn't big enough for it and the pill was just part of the example. It was just a thought after my teacher explained the placebo effect in a lesson. Yeah, i know it's dumb.....

5. JackyMacky
    Date: Sat, Oct 4 2014 17:26:18

The Buster CYL WAS the placebo effect during its hype period. Many new spinners held the belief that it's a mod that anyone could spin like the creator or spin better with (until the older members decide it was bullshit because the mod was too "mainstream"). In fact, it has worked with a few power spinners that we have now today such as Sekai, i.suk, Menowa*, and so on. So I guess [B]you can carry out the placebo effect by creating a hyped mod or popularizing a certain mod[/B]. That way, new spinners will carry a belief that their mod will help them improve. In some cases, they do. Now this doesn't mean that they'll spin the hyped/popularized mod forever. They might move on to other mods as they mature. So in conclusion, the placebo effect of hyped/popularized mods can help keep new spinners in the PS scene. What they do after is up to them. I'll admit. I was a buster spinner thinking that I could power trick like peem. But I moved on to 1p2h spinning so.... Of course, this isn't the only factor that kept me in the PS scene. :)

6. Nick
    Date: Sat, Oct 4 2014 19:56:27

I'm sure it exists, but it would be pretty hard to test it It exists in everything, in varying degrees If someone committed the time/energy/money to it, I bet you could test it

7. Lost Angelus
    Date: Sat, Oct 4 2014 20:22:42

You can't use the placebo effect to benefit yourself. The placebo requires that one is uncertain of whether they are in the control group or the experimental group. There's a psychological phenomenon called "Reactivity," where if the subject is aware of which condition they are in, then they will consciously or subconsciously modify their behavior/performance to fit which group they're in or to match the observer's expectations. So, if you're aware that you're receiving a regular pen (control condition) and not the "amazing" pen (experimental condition), then the Placebo Effect is null and you won't be influenced by it. The Placebo effect requires that one is blind to which condition they are receiving.

8. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Oct 4 2014 22:54:55

The important thing to note is not the placebo effect but rather at what it suggests; that the mind plays an often underestimated role in health and skill development. You can't use the placebo effect on yourself because you sub consciously know better, but if you improve your focus and determination to not drop the pen that will help drive the skills needed for consistent spinning. People who are focused and willing to pay attention to small details and take satisfaction in that which others find tedious tend to progress faster and for a longer period than the norm.

Xienix wrote: Penspinning isn't big enough to try that .... and most of the time there are real alternatives instead of placebo, which isn't the case here so unless researchers are willing to make a pill which does exactly that,I don't think it will work (I'm not a doctor nor do I really know if there is something out there which makes your grip stronger)
    but if you can get the result with a simple placebo thats a lot better than having the real thing. Its cheaper and won't have side effects. Dead lifts make your grip stronger.

9. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Oct 5 2014 00:02:56

I thought I would get good control and style nope

10. Soren
    Date: Sun, Oct 5 2014 22:47:36

I'll take a pill.

11. i.suk
    Date: Mon, Oct 6 2014 05:52:11

what i found funny though, is that if i think hard enough 'i can break this personal/world record', it greatly helps in doing it suspension of disbelief is necessary in increasing cont/fl ability in jumps, but you must also believe that you can do crazier stuff too i highly doubt that average spinners of now put more effort into busts than nory did, but now 10-20 busts is quite normal even in ppl who don't really focus on power, whereas several years ago it was unthinkable; some of this is due to mods and resources, but IMO a lot of it is because the PS population believes that 10-20 busts is normal, which somehow makes it more do-able (kinda like how athletes ran under 10.0 seconds more when competing with usain bolt himself, a lot of issues of performance are psychological once your body has attained the core actions required to perform the task)

12. Gash
    Date: Tue, Oct 7 2014 03:59:18

I couldn't be bothered reading any of the comments above mine. But this reminds me of back in 2011, when I read a comment where someone said something along the lines of... "Spinning a someone's mod will make you have their style xD, so if you spin a Bonkura mod you will spin like Bonkura XDDDDDD"

13. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Oct 7 2014 09:55:34

i.suk wrote: what i found funny though, is that if i think hard enough 'i can break this personal/world record', it greatly helps in doing it suspension of disbelief is necessary in increasing cont/fl ability in jumps, but you must also believe that you can do crazier stuff too i highly doubt that average spinners of now put more effort into busts than nory did, but now 10-20 busts is quite normal even in ppl who don't really focus on power, whereas several years ago it was unthinkable; some of this is due to mods and resources, but IMO a lot of it is because the PS population believes that 10-20 busts is normal, which somehow makes it more do-able (kinda like how athletes ran under 10.0 seconds more when competing with usain bolt himself, a lot of issues of performance are psychological once your body has attained the core actions required to perform the task)
    Or rather it looks the norm so people feel behind and thus work way harder to attain that level. The amount of grinding power tricks take is kinda sad actually to be considered so normal...

14. i.suk
    Date: Tue, Oct 7 2014 10:44:12

Ceru Seiyu wrote: Or rather it looks the norm so people feel behind and thus work way harder to attain that level. The amount of grinding power tricks take is kinda sad actually to be considered so normal...
    but i enjoy grinding them, and it makes me happy :D i still doubt that random spinners put more time into grinding fl stuff than nory spent spinning back then though, but you raise an interesting point of people being motivated to practice more to keep up i guess, it takes a 'special' type of person to really learn PS at all, no normal person would keep trying stuff after failing 100-900 times to succeed once or twice....then repeat this for hundreds of tricks/linkages/filming for combos and trying to refine these so they even look halfway decent