UPSB v4

Tutorials Pending Approval / CloudBurst Mod (By Lost Angelus)

1. Lost Angelus
    Date: Tue, Sep 16 2014 21:37:52

I created this mod using a new barrel I stumbled across which is soft like a M&M and Cleaned Super Pirat. This Mod also has a surprising amount of momentum. This barrel has a unique width, as it's thicker than a Super Pirat, yet thinner than an Emboss. The barrel's width is the perfect middle-ground between a Super Pirat and Emboss. I named it the [B]CloudBurst Mod[/B] because it's so soft, and it kind or remineded me of a beefed up Waterfall Mod (Minus the caps). Without further ado, here's the tutorial: =========================== Stats: =========================== Mod Name: [B]CloudBurst[/B] COG=COP Length:[B] 21.5 cm[/B] (depending on tips) Weight: [B]16 g-16.5 g[/B] Style: [B]Double-Sided[/B] Writing-Mechanism: None Ink-Type: None Estimated-Cost: Unsure =========================== Materials List: •[B]1x Recollection Signature Especial[/B] (The Double tipped kind) •[B]2x Pentel Color Twins[/B] (Caps + Back tips) •[B]2x Uni-Ball Signo Impact Tips[/B] -[B]Alternative tips[/B]: 2x TuL RT tips (TuL=1.90 g, while Signo Impact= 1.74 g) •[B]1x Dr. Grip grip[/B] (American Dr. Grip Brights, or Japanese Dr. Grip) •[B]1x Supertip OR something size equivalent[/B] (So you don't have to cut up a nice ColorTwin barrel) [B]Edit: •Optional Materials: If you want to make this mod close to the mass of Buster CYL, you may use 2 Jedo/Staples Metrix Tips (See Step #8 for instructions).[/B] =========================== Note: Please read the "Tips/Warnings" section and the "Q/A" section when you've finished the tutorial. There's important information there. *If you are stuck or confused about how to do something in the tutorial, feel free to message me with your questions =========================== [B]Tutorial:[/B]

Spoiler [B]1. Gather the required materials. Remember, TuL tips are a possible alternative to Signo Impact. Also, an American Dr. Grip Brights grip could be used instead of the Japanese Dr. Grip. It really depends on your personal preference (I used TuL tips because they're slightly heavier. I also used the American Dr. Grip Brights grip, because I liked the Foggy look on the caps)[/B] [B]2. Take the tips off of the Recollections Signature Especial and empty the barrel. You do NOT need the caps (But save them because they're really nice). You may also want to clean the writing off of the barrel using Nail Polish remover. I used 100% Acetone Nail Polish remover, because the writing was surprisingly difficult to get rid of.[/B] [B]3. Cut TWO 1 cm long parts from a Supertip marker, or something equivalent in width. I used a Supertip because I didn't want to cut up a perfectly nice ColorTwin Barrel. When making the cuts, don't worry about making them look pretty.[/B] [B]4. Take the big caps off of the ColorTwin markers (You WILL need these Caps). Next, remove the small caps from the back of the ColorTwins (You don't need them). Now, very CAREFULLY pull out the tips on the small-capped side of the ColorTwin and TRY NOT TO SQUASH the tips in any way. If you're using pliers, I recommend wrapping the tips in a soft material so you don't crush them when pulling.[/B] [B]5. Take those two 1 cm sections of your Supertip, and slide one onto each ColorTwin Tip (This may require a little effort). Next, I recommend that you Super Glue the two 1 cm Supertip sections to the Colortwin tips to ensure they don't come off. Make sure that the two 1 cm sections PLUS the length of the ColorTwin tip lip are the same length, or shorter than the wide part of the ColorTwin cap. If the ColorTwin Tip and the 1 cm section are longer than the wide part of the ColorTwin cap, then you'll get an ugly seam where the cap won't touch the barrel.[/B] [B]6. Wrap Teflon Tape or electrical tape over the back end of the ColorTwin Tip, so it fit's snug in the Recollections Signature Especial Barrel (I Recommend Teflon Tape, because electrical tape will leave sticky residue). Next, wrap some Teflon tape over the Supertip section, so the ColorTwin caps will stay on. When inserting the ColorTwin tips, I recommend twisting and pushing them on (it will reduce the teflon tape/electrical tape from bunching up).[/B] [B]7. Choose which Dr. Grip grip you want to use and then cut the grip in half: The grip on the LEFT is the American Dr. Grip Center of Gravity (it's a lot lighter and thinner). The grip in the MIDDLE is the American Dr. Grip Brights (same size as Japanese Dr. Grip, but it's foggy and won't turn yellow over time). The grip on the RIGHT is the Japanese Dr. Grip (if you want the classic, clear grip). The tips on the left are the TuL tips, and on the ones on the right are the Signo Impact tips. The TuL tips are about 0.16 grams heavier than the Signo Impact. [/B] [B]8. Use Super Glue or a hot glue gun to glue the tips into the caps. You're almost done![/B] [B]Optional Step: You may superglue a Jedo/Staples Metrix tip into the inside of both of the 2 ColorTwin Caps, if you want your CloudBurst to be close in mass to a Buster CYL.[/B] [B]9. Once the glue is dry, slide the two Dr. Grip grip sections onto the Colortwin caps (This might require some patience). Then, slide the caps onto the ColorTwin Tips so the end of the cap is flush against the Barrel. Lastly, trim off any excess teflon tape or electrical tape that might be sticking out from the seam. BAM! YOU'RE DONE![/B]
    =========================== [COLOR="red"][B]Tips/Warnings: • Be careful not to crush or break the ColorTwin tips! If you do, you could try getting the Recollection tips to work (I've never tried) •BE CAREFUL NOT TO BEND THE BARREL! I've found that the barrel can SLIGHTLY BOW in sideways if you put the mod in your pocket or you put something heavy on it. Then, instead of the barrel being straight, it looks like a slight Parabolic shape. I've found that the barrel can be re-bent back into shape. •If you want more mass in the barrel to fit your preference, then you may slide a BiC Clic Stic barrel inside the Recollection barrel. This will also reduce the chance of the barrel bending. The BiC Clic Stic Barrel would add 1.85 grams to the mod. [/B][/COLOR] =========================== Q/A: Q: Why should I make this mod? A: This mod has a surprising amount of momentum, and it seems like fingerless tricks are a lot easier. A possible reason why it seems to have good momentum when spun, is that due to the barrel's soft texture, the mod loses LESS energy from friction than other textured barrels. Meaning, it could spin longer and for more revolutions because its softer texture doesn't let friction slow it down as significantly. Q: Is there a substitute barrel that I can use? A: As far as I know, there isn't. Q:What does the Recollection barrels feel/look like? A: They're not a solid white color, but a very light whitish-biege color. They're soft just like a M&M and cleaned Super Pirat. These Recollection barrels are 0.5 cm longer than Super Pirat Barrels. They are about 1.05 cm in width (as compared to a Super Pirat's width of 0.95 cm, and an Emboss width of about 1.16 cm) Q: Why not use Airfit tips? A: I was initially going to use Airfit tips, but decided not to use them because they added too much length to the mod. Q: I bent the barrel a little bit! What do I do?! A: Try bending it back straight. If it doesn't work, use another Recollections barrel. It's not hard to take the mod apart and switch out a barrel or caps. Q: I can't find Recollection Signature Especial markers, TuL RT pens, or Uni-Ball Signo Impact RT pens! WHERE ARE THEY?! A: Look for the Recollection Markers at places such as Joann Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, Michael's Arts & Crafts (If these stores aren't in your area/country, try some kind of store with Arts & Crafts products). TuL RT pens and Uni-Ball Signo Impact RT pens can be found at places such as Office Depot, Office Max, and Staples (If these stores aren't in your area/country, try some kind of store with office products). ===========================

2. cl3ud.kr
    Date: Tue, Sep 16 2014 22:29:15

I love this mod <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Wonderful tutorial!:D

3. Nick
    Date: Tue, Sep 16 2014 22:29:15

This is actually original, well done, and good looking. We don't see that a lot!

4. tejpalv8
    Date: Tue, Sep 16 2014 22:57:17

Amazing mod, I love it. Post more please.

5. Yaiya
    Date: Tue, Sep 16 2014 23:09:43

This mod looks sick. I want it. :)

6. Lost Angelus
    Date: Tue, Sep 16 2014 23:38:02

When I photoshopped the picture, I accidently made the barrel look a lot more biege than it actually is. The barrel is closer to white than biege.

7. Solid
    Date: Tue, Sep 16 2014 23:46:14

@Lost Angelus impact rts are discontinued i thought i had found the last origonal japense version last month in Pennsylvania so i picked up 4 but if you have found more thats awesome because they WERE discontinued for a while

8. Lost Angelus
    Date: Wed, Sep 17 2014 00:02:42

Solid wrote: @Lost Angelus impact rts are discontinued i thought i had found the last origonal japense version last month in Pennsylvania so i picked up 4 but if you have found more thats awesome because they WERE discontinued for a while
    Are you sure they were discontinued? I thought they were done manufacturing them too because I couldn't find them at Officemax or Office Depot, but then I saw them at Staples. I found them at Staples about a month ago, so they CAN'T be discontinued...

9. Froggy
    Date: Wed, Sep 17 2014 00:30:00

Its possible to find discontinued pens in shops, just a lot harder Frog~

Lost Angelus wrote: Are you sure they were discontinued? I thought they were done manufacturing them too because I couldn't find them at Officemax or Office Depot, but then I saw them at Staples. I found them at Staples about a month ago, so they CAN'T be discontinued...

10. PenwisH
    Date: Wed, Sep 17 2014 01:55:06

it is remnant stock which means you can still get it if the location has it but it's no longer in production. Just like my local shop has sunbursts normal color but they are no longer made.

Lost Angelus wrote: Are you sure they were discontinued? I thought they were done manufacturing them too because I couldn't find them at Officemax or Office Depot, but then I saw them at Staples. I found them at Staples about a month ago, so they CAN'T be discontinued...

11. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Wed, Sep 17 2014 04:02:39

The mod is ight but the tut doe. So detailed.

12. Lost Angelus
    Date: Wed, Sep 17 2014 05:21:46

GeeGeeGee wrote: The mod is ight but the tut doe. So detailed.
    I figured it's better to have too much detail, than too little detail. I don't know about you, but I've had times before when I was trying to make a mod, and the tutorial was so obscure and hard to follow because of a lack of detail. @Reason thought this mod used Comssa caps instead of ColorTwin caps, so I decided to make a heavier version of this mod with Comssa caps and different tips. Maybe I'll post a picture of it, because people are more likely to consider using Comssa caps over ColorTwin caps.

13. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Wed, Sep 17 2014 16:17:27

Lost Angelus wrote: I figured it's better to have too much detail, than too little detail. I don't know about you, but I've had times before when I was trying to make a mod, and the tutorial was so obscure and hard to follow because of a lack of detail. @Reason thought this mod used Comssa caps instead of ColorTwin caps, so I decided to make a heavier version of this mod with Comssa caps and different tips. Maybe I'll post a picture of it, because people are more likely to consider using Comssa caps over ColorTwin caps.
    Yeah I just didn't expect a new guy to make such detailed tutorial.

14. AfroSquared
    Date: Wed, Sep 17 2014 16:44:02

Wow @Lost Angelus this is really detailed and clear tutorial. This mod is awesome :D Well Done!

15. Lost Angelus
    Date: Sat, Sep 20 2014 18:00:58

I re-posted the links to the pictures in the CloudBurst tutorial. I accidentally scrambled the file names in my photobucket, so I had to re-post new links

16. DrawingWaves
    Date: Sun, Sep 21 2014 19:50:37

Looks really good. I might try to do this as soon as I get those materials. Keep up your work LA.

17. bossman69
    Date: Sun, Nov 30 2014 18:54:12

Is there a sub for the body? Can't find any of those markers anywhere

18. Zonda
    Date: Sun, Nov 30 2014 20:27:04

bossman69 wrote: Is there a sub for the body? Can't find any of those markers anywhere
    Try new supertips (because they are fatter) or a comssa, if the barrel is too thin you can use tape to attach the caps.

19. bossman69
    Date: Sun, Nov 30 2014 23:09:46

Thanks for the help

20. WikyuuRa
    Date: Mon, Dec 1 2014 02:52:33

wow..nice mod,bro :2p2h: