UPSB v4

General Discussion / Why Pen Spinning will never get big in North America (or anywhere)

1. HobbyLogics
    Date: Fri, Sep 5 2014 21:42:24

I remember @Zkhan having some theories about this. From what I have learned in Japanese culture, people who live there are all addicted to some sort of hobby they specialize in, and that makes Japan the hub for extremely talented spinners. I remember talking to someone at work about fighting games, and he talked about how in this genre of games, they develop these tricks to fight against certain characters, and in Japan these tricks are shared much more publicly than in North America. Unlike in Japan, they are kept more secret in order to give people the upper hand. He said that even though Japanese share these tiny tricks, they are developing more as they tell you, which improves the strategy on the game heavily. Meanwhile, people in North America have some sort of culture that doesn't seem to fare well with media compared to places like Japan. There are a few times where we hobby-driven people pop up into the media, but most of it is not known. Or maybe pen spinning is just something not meant for everyone. It's just something that only a small group of people who do enjoy it, will REALLY enjoy it and the people who don't just simply do not spin. Even though pen spinning is more popular in some countries, this hobby is still completely ONLINE BASED. Yes, the Japanese have their pen spinning festival, but mainly this is completely on YouTube and on our forums. But these are just my general thoughts in no organized manner whatsoever. Last time, I made a thread about style and I saw some interesting posts about it. Don't let me down this time. :L (Please ignore all idiotic grammatical errors in this post :P)

2. cl3ud.kr
    Date: Fri, Sep 5 2014 22:13:09

Same goes for Korea. I've lived in Korea for 2 years, and am one, and I've noticed that everyone has something that they specialize in. But I don't think it will be totally unpopular in NA. Things like the Rubik's Cube, a lot of people in my school do those. It wouldn't be unfair to compare that to pen spinning. Also yo-yo. It's just that pen spinning is not that widely known, if it were more famous, I'm pretty sure it could be popular in NA too.

3. Monk
    Date: Fri, Sep 5 2014 22:35:59

that's why US sucks at everything

4. abandonctrl
    Date: Fri, Sep 5 2014 23:37:01

Pretty much what monk said.

5. casual
    Date: Sat, Sep 6 2014 00:02:04

hobbies r for nerds

6. JackyMacky
    Date: Sat, Sep 6 2014 00:16:30

casual wrote: hobbies r for nerds
    w0w d00d. as a nerd i taek such offense.

7. HobbyLogics
    Date: Sat, Sep 6 2014 00:29:42

cl3ud.kr wrote: It's just that pen spinning is not that widely known, if it were more famous, I'm pretty sure it could be popular in NA too.
    Well, the question is, does it come down to culture, or does it come down to exposure?

8. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sat, Sep 6 2014 01:08:07

It's not all that big in other countries either, even in japan it's not a well known thing. The lack of a western boom might be because of the level of competitive spinning nowadays. Much fewer new spinners show promise enough to hit a competitive level, so often give up or quit.

9. Reason
    Date: Sat, Sep 6 2014 01:26:52

the logic of hobbies with hobbylogics. i could agree with saying that this is why the percentage of good spinners (in the ps community) is greater in japan than in US, but i dont think it would explain why spinning is more popular there.

10. SPMx
    Date: Sat, Sep 6 2014 01:28:34

Even here in the philippines

11. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sat, Sep 6 2014 04:53:30

Western countries are lazy and cba to practise psing only a few people have the energy to do it. Theyll try a ta or a charge for about 2 mins then go "fuck it, this shits too hard." Trust me ive seen it

12. Soren
    Date: Sat, Sep 6 2014 06:47:03

HobbyLogics wrote: Well, the question is, does it come down to culture, or does it come down to exposure?
    A bit of both

13. MPC
    Date: Sat, Sep 6 2014 17:17:30

I agree with @ShadowParadox –*I think westerners generally are very willing to try new things, but give up quickly when it proves difficult. Also, many westerners are totally in thrall to magazines and TV shows to tell them what's cool and what they should be doing, and they change all the time. In the UK we call them 'fads', but this might not be a global term. If Lady Gaga or One Direction started pen spinning, it would be an overnight boom. But then it would die and just become 'that thing that everyone did for a while in 2014'. I can't speak for Asian culture because I've never been there, but in western culture it's never about doing what you enjoy; it's about doing what you want people to think you enjoy. Much like Facebook –*it's not about having fun, it's about desperately trying to show everyone else how much fun you're having. So the very simple answer is: pen spinning is not cool. The media and celebrities decide what is cool, and they've never given pen spinning the thumbs up. But hey, until 50 Shades of Grey, reading erotic fiction wasn't cool. It was considered creepy and shameful. Now everyone's just jumping on that wagon. It's a boring conclusion, but it rings true every time –*f**k the trends. Do what you enjoy doing and don't be embarrassed about doing it. Christ, the people at my work think I have some kind of mental illness because I spin a pen while I work. But the other day I went for a meeting with a group of writers and they thought it was awesome. So just don't go with the flow; swim upstream like a majestic salmon. :D mpc

14. AfroSquared
    Date: Sat, Sep 6 2014 21:30:56

@MPC there was this asian celebrity (can't remember the name) that span a pen during a show on youtube and in the comments people said they started pen spinning because of her.

15. RPD
    Date: Sat, Sep 6 2014 21:59:28

+1 to @MPC Just basing my opinion in what I generally see from this community and other similar ones, since I dont know many japanese people. European and American people either don't like psing, or like it but they give it away fast. They may make some mods, practice sonic and TA and as it seems difficult (they can't be as cool as the video they saw in three minutes) they leave it. I mean, the decission of "yo I like that, I'm going to practice it until I get good" is not popular here. Let's make an analysis to popular things here. TV/series/movies take a lot of time, but tiny effort to understand and to have a lot of knowledge on them. Also a common conversation topic, so it gives you a bonus on relationships. Quite the same applies for any game. Though they need more skill to play them, let's admit it: most people you know don't actually spend time getting good at a game, they keep it casual, so no effort there neither. Some of them also have pay-to-win options, so money makes them good, not effort nor skill. ¿And what makes other object manipulations more popular than psing? I mean, yoyo and rubik. Rubiks cube is more time than thinking. The basic method to solve a cube is learning a few easy patterns and repeat them hundreds of times until you are fast enough to do it in ~1 minute. Yoyo is actually hard and as open as penspinning, but it's way more impressive than ps. So, being a casual penspinner won't impress much people. Takes a lot of time to get only the basics. As it's not a closed progression, people get stuck on "what I'm going to learn next". It seems to be totally useless, even annoying to most people since the mod is constantly falling. And even after that, there are tiny ways to get money or fame through it (appearing on a tv show, which doesnt happen here, owning a shop or having thousands of subscribers on yt). My reason to spin is... click ^^.

16. fang
    Date: Sat, Sep 6 2014 23:20:15

RPD wrote: My reason to spin is... click ^^.
    ^:wub:

17. exclusive
    Date: Sun, Sep 7 2014 01:14:24

AfroSquared wrote: @MPC there was this asian celebrity (can't remember the name) that span a pen during a show on youtube and in the comments people said they started pen spinning because of her.
    im guessing sunny from snsd

18. Xilo
    Date: Sun, Sep 7 2014 05:30:53

I say that it will become popular,it just takes about another 100 years....

19. Manman!
    Date: Sun, Sep 7 2014 12:19:03

Basically I like trains and LPSA

20. Nick
    Date: Sun, Sep 7 2014 23:29:14

to summarize this thread: Japan & Korea awesome, white peeple sucks.

21. Gash
    Date: Mon, Sep 8 2014 01:29:31

N!k wrote: to summarize this thread: Japan & Korea awesome, white peeple sucks.

22. pauliux00
    Date: Mon, Sep 8 2014 15:06:56

Gash wrote: http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/list/000/352/749/e44.gif
    The sad thing is that white people created racism.

23. JackyMacky
    Date: Mon, Sep 8 2014 16:50:00

pauliux00 wrote: The sad thing is that white people created racism.
    No....just no.

24. Nick
    Date: Mon, Sep 8 2014 22:15:54

pauliux00 wrote: The sad thing is that white people created racism.
    Is this kid serious? You here are the racist one. You are being really, really, extremely racist. I hope you don't believe that. I really hope you are joking.

25. Monk
    Date: Mon, Sep 8 2014 23:04:26

N!k wrote: Is this kid serious? You here are the racist one. You are being really, really, extremely racist. I hope you don't believe that. I really hope you are joking.
    sir please calm down you are disturbing the peace

26. Nick
    Date: Tue, Sep 9 2014 00:01:31

Monk wrote: sir please calm down you are disturbing the peace
    ok very sorry, plz forgive, plz forgiv

27. Zkhan
    Date: Tue, Sep 9 2014 00:43:16

Stay on topic.