UPSB v4

Research Department Feedback / Research department refurbishment!

1. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Wed, Sep 3 2014 10:55:08

I think we could do with some new RD recruits (mostly because all the RD members are either inactive or simply don't pay any attention to this section anymore). Something I would like to see again is the Naming Committee, because I think that pen spinning tricks have lately become a bit too verbose (and with new knowledge we can actually prove that tricks we would otherwise have to give names to can now be notated in a much simpler format). Reasoning for this: less individual names means less 'tricks' to learn to understand concepts. Also I was thinking about doing some additional research into teaching pen spinning tricks, because what I find is an issue theses days ( as maybe with all-time pen spinning ) is that the current tutorials tend to follow the same trends and often leave new spinners get stuck on trying to advance by following them, often with these tutorials putting too much emphasis on trial-and-error which means that tricks can take days or weeks to do once. Lastly I would like to see if anyone would be interested in seeing me expanding on zombo's transformations in order to help design new, groundbreaking linkages and combos.

2. LighT*
    Date: Wed, Sep 3 2014 12:15:06

@Ceru Seiyu I would absolutely love to to help and be apart of all 3 of those things you stated, and of course that means I agree with them as well :)!

3. Xzeria
    Date: Wed, Sep 3 2014 15:42:13

I'd like to help with tuts and RD.

4. abandonctrl
    Date: Wed, Sep 3 2014 16:15:37

Yeah the tuts lead you to a brick wall at some points I used them mainly to get a grasp but learned most of my stuff from blogs or other places because the info is to scattered around on the forum.

5. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Wed, Sep 3 2014 17:01:38

One thing I found was a new way to teach the sonic by splitting the trick up into two components which allowed people to get an idea of the concepts behind it, rather than the "move your finger like this and it will flick behind your finger and just happen". I used it to success with a certain german member who couldn't land it with normal tutorials, but got it very easily after using this method. I wonder if this methodology could be applied to other tricks

6. cl3ud.kr
    Date: Wed, Sep 3 2014 20:18:05

Sure I can help! :D Uh like, even though I'm a beginner, I can help out with a lot of things; I'm really obsessed with research ~^^~

7. RPD
    Date: Wed, Sep 3 2014 23:16:07

Something I would like to see again is the Naming Committee, because I think that pen spinning tricks have lately become a bit too verbose (and with new knowledge we can actually prove that tricks we would otherwise have to give names to can now be notated in a much simpler format). Reasoning for this: less individual names means less 'tricks' to learn to understand concepts.
    I'm writing a book (ish, 20 pages atm) about notation, with the well-known stuff and a lot of new ideas that were dropped around on fpsb/spsc/upsb. It's in spanish though, i will consider a translation only if there are lots of people interested in it :) And what you say is true, there are a lot of well known stupid trick names, but also a bunch of unknown modifiers that are useful and can be used. Anyway, people prefer cheesy names. In spsc I did a "notation thread" where people just asked me questions about notation, and I answered them. Easy format, and it got some activity. If you (or anyone) want to know something, just ask me ^^ Oh, and a sonic can be split in charge+fingerswitch 23-13-12. Charges can be split into more tricks too.