UPSB v4

Presentation / Attachment for presentation? - String spinning

1. Armonster
    Date: Sun, Sep 12 2010 19:58:16

Inspiration: I was at the store and there was a pen attached to the little metal chain for people to sign checks with, and I was doing sonic rise/falls and I noticed the chain behind it following the motion with little circles as well. This seeemed cool to me. The chain weighed it down and made it more difficult to spin, but you could use something lighter... Idea: If you tied a little string or ribbon, as both are very lightweight and won't throw off the pen's center of gravity, to the end of your pen and spun it so it followed it. Kind of like those ribbon twirlers. Now I'm not a very experienced spinner at all, so I'll leave it to you guys to try it with different lengths to see if it looks cool or not. Lemme know what you guys think of my idea!

2. walrus
    Date: Sun, Sep 12 2010 20:39:58

.___. woudnt it get tangled?

3. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Sep 12 2010 21:03:22

Hmm, this is a very interesting concept... you could even use the string later to do other tricks (bonkura). Maybe you should make a concept video?

4. Kirby
    Date: Mon, Sep 13 2010 02:54:56

I love the idea. But only certain tricks would look good with it. Also like someone said, it may get tangled.

5. Armonster
    Date: Tue, Sep 14 2010 00:34:52

yes, it could get tangled, but i'm sure you guys could come up with a combo or routine that would avoid that, like using only tricks that wouldn't make that happen. plus it wouldn't be TOO long where it'd get tangled, but it could still get in the way, I'm sure. Can anyone try this and post the conclusion? As like I said, I'm still a very noobish spinner and can't really do much, so I can't see its full potential, lol.

6. Kirby
    Date: Tue, Sep 14 2010 03:19:14

I love the idea. but sorry I don't have a cam. Try it with your "nooby" tricks and just get a decent feel for it. I tried it and will say, it looked cool, but almost over does the combo (takes away from the spinning).

7. JC
    Date: Tue, Sep 14 2010 22:14:56

Kirby wrote: I love the idea. but sorry I don't have a cam. Try it with your "nooby" tricks and just get a decent feel for it. I tried it and will say, it looked cool, but almost over does the combo (takes away from the spinning).
    I think it'd be fine if it took away from the spinning. By adding an attachment, you'd want the emphasis of the combo to be on the aesthetics of the attachment flying around rather than the actual combo...otherwise, why handicap yourself with an attachment. (perhaps one day, you can harmonize spinning with an attachment...but the first step in showing off anything new is to emphasize it and make it look as good as it can, well as much as you can..sometimes things can get pretty subtle, but an attachment is trying to be more flashy) I feel like using 1p2h would work best with an attachment; using the 2nd hand as a guide to keep the attachment from getting tangled and resetting it for its next movement with the next trick(s). This concept has potential, and yes, Bonkura's done something similar to it before... but it can definitely be expanded upon with some experimentation.

8. hoiboy
    Date: Wed, Sep 15 2010 00:24:38

Just to get this straight: In Bonkura's 2nd solo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFBKGQ5ScDc), Bonkura does a couple "String-Combos" (0:43-1:10). His concept of using strings in PS is different than what Armonster is suggesting. Bonkura uses the string to manipulate the pen, Armonster is using the pen to manipulate the string.

9. Cloud
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 01:22:32

I think that minwoo used his earbud wire like this before. it is very kool :D

10. Lito
    Date: Wed, Jan 18 2012 23:28:49

if you attached something light it would look really cool but if its heavy, it would weigh down the pen

11. Furloy
    Date: Sun, Jan 22 2012 04:09:55

I can imagine 1p2h where the transition is grabbing the string and swinging it in some aerial catch and keep spinning.

12. Benedict
    Date: Wed, Jan 25 2012 08:57:26

This is a bad idea, because i tried it before, the string will tangle your fingers,unless you do a infinity or a figure eight

13. Eternity
    Date: Wed, May 9 2012 13:53:42

Unless the string doesn't go THROUGH a finger slot, it might get tangled in your fingers :/

14. Fuse
    Date: Sat, May 12 2012 20:35:47

1) Get a super heavy mod (VGG/Buster). 2) Throw a bit of paper in one cap and attach the ribbon. 3) Spin with alternating speeds while rarely changing direction and using as much smoothness as possible. 4) ???? 5) Profit.

15. Benedict
    Date: Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:47:20

I attached two string onto my mod, and it looks quite good, but it feels a little bit weird. The string actually won't tangle your finger if it isn't too long and have enough momentum to keep it straight.