UPSB v4

Linkages & Combos / How do we categorise different phases of combo structure?

1. MPC
    Date: Sun, Aug 10 2014 12:20:02

This is probably a total noob question, but here we go: Without breaking down every individual trick, how do we describe a combo's general structure in phases? I've been looking around for the answer, but can't seem to find anything specific. Would it be correct to breakdown combo phases like we do individual tricks? Like: low diff wiper tricks > high speed FL tricks > high diff power tricks > unique finisher Sorry if that's a dumb or simplistic question, just trying to get an idea of how to compose attractive combos and finding it hard to categorise them in broad terms. :) mpc

2. Reason
    Date: Sun, Aug 10 2014 17:46:52

im not sure if this sort of thing has even been applied before... but i dont really find it being too useful. it seems like a vague version of a breakdown. i guess it could be used to give an idea of an individual spinner's style of structure. i just think its too vague to be used practically... then again, i have a better understanding of things when i can see it happening. yeah so i believe theres no real rules/vocabulary for this yet so i imagine if it was used you just have to use terms that are easy to understand (which wouldnt be hard). the example you have seems to be pretty easy to understand. i've seen people use this type of thing usually for describing problems in structure... such as- hard link>filler>hard link>filler>power tricks>hard link>finisher and that seems to be even more vague than what you describe... i guess its pretty open for use and modification at this point, but idk if such a thing will catch on.

3. Tigres
    Date: Sun, Aug 10 2014 18:18:44

Not sure if there is a definite way to categorize different phases, but I think ideally, every combo always consists of three main phases. Starter ----> Middle ----> Finish [B]Starters[/B] are basically the individual trick or combo at the beginning of the combo. [B]Middle[/B] is where you show off your linkages, complex combos, hard combos, or possibly fresh new materialized tricks. [B]Finisher[/B] combo or trick that ends the combo, ideally a very hard trick (such as powertricks). The rule is that all of the phases need to be "[B]balanced[/B]". By "[B]balanced[/B]", it means one category's difficulty or any other criteria(such as originality or creativity), cannot unbalance with other. If one phase is harder than the other, then it will drastically influence the presentation and structure of the combo. The key lies to the [B]execution[/B] of the combo which is not only how flawlessly you perform the tricks, but also how you appeal each individual trick. For example: If the starter and the finisher are good, but the middle consists of very easy combos, it will bring negative effects. Same thing happens when your middle is good, but the starter and finishers are easier. ----------------------------------------------------------------- This is the basic layout of the categorization, but trust me there is more to that in pen spinning. Personally saying, I am surprise to see that there are beginners that think about these questions, because this is the basic of the basics that spinners should learn in the pen spinning career. I hope you can be a unique spinner of your own. Of course, that is only if you continue long enough =3=

4. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Aug 10 2014 23:33:56

Structure and balance is garbage and I think it's utter shite that we convince people to spin in the same way as everyone else every time to make a "balanced" combo. Because fuck originality yo, if you don't have that 'balanced' order you're a shitty penspinner

5. Tigres
    Date: Mon, Aug 11 2014 00:39:46

@Ceru Seiyu But you do have originality, theres nothing wrong with that. In your case, execution is the thing that makes you, what you call, a "shitty" spinner. Why don't you fix that before you even say shit to anyone else.

6. Monk
    Date: Mon, Aug 11 2014 01:01:23

shits gonna go down everyone's style is different its just that some are worse than others

7. MPC
    Date: Mon, Aug 11 2014 06:16:06

Oh man what have I started? The originality thing is actually part of why I asked the question. When you have never recorded a combo before, it's good to know what the tried and tested structures are ' the grammar and punctuation of the most successful combos. There's no point finding a really great combo and then copying it, but being able to simply take note of the broad structure would make it easier to make something of similar rhythms but in your own style. Does that make sense? Mpc

8. AfroSquared
    Date: Mon, Aug 11 2014 09:47:31

MPC wrote: Oh man what have I started? The originality thing is actually part of why I asked the question. When you have never recorded a combo before, it's good to know what the tried and tested structures are ' the grammar and punctuation of the most successful combos. There's no point finding a really great combo and then copying it, but being able to simply take note of the broad structure would make it easier to make something of similar rhythms but in your own style. Does that make sense? Mpc
    weird explanation... but you are right.

9. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Mon, Aug 11 2014 10:13:07

Tigres wrote: @Ceru Seiyu But you do have originality, theres nothing wrong with that. In your case, execution is the thing that makes you, what you call, a "shitty" spinner. Why don't you fix that before you even say shit to anyone else.
    I never even mentioned myself, wtf are you blabbering about Even if we were to talk about me, I don't take those judges seriously considering I gor better execution scores last year when my combos actually had MAJOR MISTAKES in them.

10. ShadowParadox
    Date: Mon, Aug 11 2014 11:38:42

i got an example! spinnerpeem : spam -> spam -> Power-> spam -> crazy ass power finisher